Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #47177 05/12/09 07:31 AM
    OP Offline
    With two days to go until DS6 IEP for next year, the problems begin....

The math teacher that we had lined up for next year quit as her husband was transferred to another state. We got over that hurdle by agreeing that DS would do math with the GT coordinator.

The GT coordinator called me last night to let me know that because of budget cuts she's being moved to a different school and that our school is going to a part time coordinator. Further, the district is asking the new GTC not pull kids out for classes but rather help the teachers differentiate within their own classrooms. How is a teacher supposed to differentiate 3 grade levels? She called me because she didn't want me to be blindsided when I walk into the meeting on Thursday.

The other thing is that as of yesterday, the district has not given the plan for radical acceleration to 4th their blessing. If they won't accelerate then we'll homeschool, I've got that part covered. I'm more concerned as to what to do if they do agree to accelerate but refuse to allow pullouts for math? He's also supposed to be pulled out for recess with 1st grade everyday but according to the GT, they are trying to do away with pullouts completely.

I'm looking at the option of half days where we would take care of math at home but I don't even know if our district allows that. The big problem with that is that math takes place at 10:00 so when would his day start?

A week ago everything was perfect and now it's a disaster! I knew it was too good to last! Ideas anyone? I've only got two days to figure this out!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    master of none #47184 05/12/09 10:00 AM
    Oh no, how can things fall apart so quickly?

Dazed&Confuzed #47186 05/12/09 10:12 AM
    I
    I
    How is a teacher supposed to differentiate 3 grade levels?

Will they support your son doing an EPGY program at school? If you're considering homeschooling anyway, will they allow you to come to school and tutor your son in math? This could be part-time homeschooling at school.

It sounds like they've been pretty flexible so far with out of the box options. Hope your good luck continues!

Dazed&Confuzed #47188 05/12/09 10:19 AM
    M
    M
    Is the math schedule going to be the same for next year? No matter what? The school actually did some rearranging of the schedules for my DD9's partial day. We are riding the fence again and won't know anything until 2 weeks before school starts. They closed one elementary as of the end of this school year so we don't know what, if any, changes that may bring.

I would certainly present all your options if you need to. The school was perfectly aware, in a very nice way, that I wouldn't consider putting my DD9 back in classes that wouldn't meet her needs. They knew I would homeschool if needed (was already). When they agreed that they couldn't meet her needs the principal jumped at the chance to put her in on a partial day, once I suggested it. My DD9 is the first child that the district has allowed to do a partial day at this level.

Right now we are trying to get some classes approved from the Michigan Virtual University. Approved through the school district that is. The state laws say she should be able to take the classes and the school district should pay, the school district says no until she reaches chronological age. If your school is open maybe something like that would work?

They have been so open up until now to accomodate your son maybe they will still be willing to if given the chance? What does your state law say regarding gifted needs? I'd do as much research as possible and then go in with an open mind. Keeping fingers crossed for you son!

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    BWBShari #47205 05/12/09 01:43 PM
    C
    C
    Argh! Sounds like a case where DON'T PANIC!!!! is the main rule.

I second the EPGY idea - weren't you setting your DS up with this for the summer anyway? Could he then just continue it into the school year, and do it more or less anywhere? It's not as good as actually having contact with someone able to teach him at his level regularly in school, but it might be more practical than partial homeschooling with maths being at 10?

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    ColinsMum #47251 05/12/09 11:15 PM
    S
    S
    Sorry to hear about the changes at school. I like the idea of *homeschooling at school* that someone mentioned. It sounds like the school has been so helpful to this point.

Good luck and keep us posted. My DH is still waiting on a job offer in NM, so I'll be anxious to hear about the outcome.

seeker #47255 05/13/09 03:40 AM
    Oh Shari,
    I'm so sorry to hear about this!
    Hang on dear!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #47274 05/13/09 07:05 AM
    No added suggestions from me. Just support. Keep us updated!

Kriston
    Kriston #47279 05/13/09 07:22 AM
    OP Offline
    The director of Sped called me last night(in NM gifted falls under the special ed umbrella). She told me that my information was not correct in regard to my son. It is the district's intent to keep my son with his "academic peers". She must have made that statement 5 times, but she never directly answered the question about pull-outs. It was a weird conversation. It was like she was trying to reassure me without telling me anything. Tomorrow should be interesting!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #47280 05/13/09 07:25 AM
    H
    H
    Good luck Shari! So sorry the bubble burst. *hugs*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent