Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I have been reading such resources as the Gifted Development Center and their testing strategies to help identify 2e kids. It appears that they use different testing methods designed to let the child's strengths show through while taking into account their problems with their disabilities. I have been trying to research if anything like this is being done in my state(TN)and I cannot find anything, or anyone, in my area that seems to specialize in this type of testing. I was wondering what resources others have found to help with this kind of testing. Have any of you had alternative testing done for your 2e kids? Have you found any advocates in your area to help you navigate this territory? I am pretty new to this board so this may have been discussed before and if so, I apologize. I couldn't find anything in the more recent posts about this topic.

My DS is doing fine with his current school placement but somehow I feel that I am not doing all I can for him. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Without a doubt, I'd travel from TN to KY to see Dr. Amend. He's very low key and personable, and he really made a huge positive impression on me when I met him at a conference. LOVED his book, too!

http://www.amendpsych.com/

hth-

Last edited by Lorel; 11/19/07 04:23 PM.
    OP Offline
    Thank you very much. I will check out his site and his book too. I appreciate the information. :-)

It's just so hard to know what to do sometimes! I'm conflicted as to whether I should continue to pursue this or not. I have so many questions and I don't know how to answer them. Maybe the book will help! Thanks.

OP Offline
    Thank you too, Dottie! I feel like I "know" he is gifted and I know he has an LD but my state doesn't seem to care. So even if I go have him evaluated I'm not sure what that would do for him. Would they care even then??

From the perspective of a 2e parent, what has being labeled GT done for your DD? Is the program of such quality that it has definitely helped her? Or has it opened other avenues for your enriching her education? That is the type of question I'm struggling with. If I go through all the testing and I get acknowledgement of his giftedness, then what? What will it help him on a practical level? I just don't know because I don't know what my county would do with the information. And I don't know of any other benefit out there that would be opened up to him. I don't really see him scoring high enough for Davidson's although I could be selling him short I guess!! :-)

I guess I want to know that there would be some definite benefit to him to go about obtaining the label. And I know you don't know the answers to all of these questions, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on the subject.

OP Offline
    That is my main thing too, to have it acknowledge for his self esteem. He will say he is "stupid" when he has trouble with things and that just breaks my heart. I would love to have his abilities acknowledged by someone other than me because he thinks I think he is smart just because I'm his mother. When he didn't make it into the GT program in 2nd grade he said "that's ok, I won't be the smart guy, I'll just be the sports guy". This was said through his disappointment and some tears (both his and mine - though I tried to be positive) and again, it just broke my heart.

I am so happy for you that your school is affirming what you already know and is helping you out with your daughter. Sounds like you have a great school. My school is really good too in a lot of ways, but they don't know anything about 2e's. The school won't do anything about his LD because they say "you aren't eligible for services if you aren't already receiving services", which is completely stupid in my opinion. The thing is if he was recognized for GT he would be "receiving services" and could be acknowledged for his LD!!! How crazy is that??? But I am taking care of his vision therapy and getting him what he needs there.

Thanks for the response. You've really given me some things to think about. :-)

Just another shout out in favor of Dr. Amend. We used him for testing DS, and he was great.

Kriston
    EandCmom-

At least three of my four children are 2e. Understanding their differences has really been a huge help to us. My feeling on labels is that they are only valid as far as they can help us to learn about ourselves and figure out ways to cope.

I have ADD, inattentive type myself, and it is not an "excuse" for me to do poorly, but a reminder that I might have to do things a little differently than others. I give myself permission to not beat myself up over my cluttered house, and I try to find methods that will help me to focus and get things done. A palm pilot was one attempt, but I couldn't remember to keep looking at the tiny calendar or to change the batteries. I kept losing all of my data! I like Sandra Boynton's Mom's Calendar, as it is big and colorful and I have a separate box for each person in the family. My life would have been much easier if I had the ADD diagnosis back when I was in school.

OP Offline
    Lorel, thank you! I agree understanding my DS's visual problem has been a huge help to us. He feels so much better about himself knowing that this causes him to have to work harder in certain areas.

I can definitely see where having the ADD diagnosis in school would have been a big help to you. My son has some problems with inattentiveness himself which the vision doctor has said is related to his vision problems, but I'm afraid the inattentiveness has also become part of who he is and isn't going to go away even with the vision therapy. Sounds like you have really been able to figure out how to deal with learning how to focus. I'm trying to figure out such things for him too, although it is hard!! It's great to hear from someone who has been through such things and has gotten things figured out! :-) Gives me hope maybe I'll get there one day myself.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM