I am wondering if anyone knows the significance of "gifted education" now being defined as part of "basic education" that was recently passed through the Washington state legislature this session in HB2261? Specifically, how will this trickle down to effect the students in the state? Will this mandate that ALL children must be tested? Will it mandate that effort must be made to identify students? *crossing fingers* Will it mandate that gifted classes (self-contained or enrichment) must be made available for all students, K-12? If so, will it make it necessary that transportation be made available to all identified students?

Our school district does provide a few self-contained gifted classrooms (split grade classes: one 3/4, and one 5/6) at three of our 20 elementary schools. Parents must drive their children to/from the schools that house the program. I am wondering if our new law will mandate that the district provide transportation to these classes, and if it will mandate that the program be expanded to K-2 students as well. I also am curious to know whether or not it will mean that the district will have to provide additional classes to fill the needs of however many students are identified in a given year.

Fwiw, the district currently offers Honors classes at the JHS level, and AP or IB classes at the HS level.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Last edited by MomOfTheFuture; 05/10/09 10:42 PM. Reason: typo

smile
Mom of The Future