Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by marytheres
    I just found this thread. I am having many of the same issues with my DS (age 6, just finishing kindergarten)... His coding score was 4 on the WISC!!!

...I am really worried about him frown and feel lost.
    I hope that some of the stuff you read in this thread sounded like your son. Hopefully as the vision issues clear he'll bounce ahead.

Welcome Marytheres! Pull up a cozy chair...gifted comes in all shapes and flavors. Good luck with the eval!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by marytheres
    I am exploring dysgraphia (he is reading above grade level and scored "average" on spelling and is above grade level in math too. But I am concerned is smart enough to compensate - I think he is hiding a disability and I fear it will catch up to him and I think it is possibly surpressing his WISC scores). I am getting further tests done by a pediatric neuropsych...

The neuropsych is a great place to start. It was a huge help for us. Just understanding a bit of what DS's challenges are helped the entire family dynamic. DS is nine now. He is doing really, really well. His MAP achievement scores were through the roof this year, 99th percentile in reading and off the charts for math. He still struggles with writing, both the physical and the mental, but other than that appears to be compensating well and happily for many of his issues. He is such a changed kid that I am considering having a second round of testing this fall to determine what we should do for middle school.

I felt really lost and confused starting out too. But I learned a lot from reading books and articles, from interacting online with other parents having the same issues and from teachers, doctors and therapists who help my child. Hope the testing gives you some answers!

I
    I
    Thanks for the warm welcome! NCmom2 - so glad to hear that your DS is doing well and is happy! Gives me hope that this will all turn out okay for us too!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM