Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Mia Offline
    My ds6 is in private school. For us, the "babysitting" factor is definitely key; I need to work full time, and he needs to be somewhere during the day!

I'd love to homeschool, but not only is there the money factor, there's the energy factor. My kid is *very* energetic, and I honestly have a hard time keeping up with him! At his private school, he gets to go from teacher to teacher (they have homerooms but are only there for about an hour and a half a day) and his brain is constantly jumping. I just can't provide that level of stimulation for him at home; it's exhausting for me. I think I could homeschool some kids just fine; mine just doesn't happen to be one of them. smile

Another thing to consider that school provides extensive interaction with various people away from the all-seeing "parental eye." Not that homeschoolers don't spend time away from their kids -- I know you do! -- but there is, by definition, less time under direct supervision of a parent at school. This has been really good for my ds6 who, as an only child, gets a lot of parental attention and needs to learn he's not the center of the universe! OTOH, this assumes that you're happy with the teachers and the child has some respect for them -- it wasn't that way at my ds6's public K. His private school is much better in this respect.

Ds's school is pretty unusual in that they differentiate across grades for math and reading for all students (my ds6's math class, for example, is first-, second- and third-graders, just starting the fourth grade math book). His school last year didn't differentiate for him, though they promised to "next year" -- but K year was so bad that I *would* have homeschooled if it was my only option. So if the school isn't a good fit, there's no argument for it, IMO.

All in all, even though my ds6 would probably be able to learn more and faster at home, I think he really, really benefits from being in school. It would take an act of some unholy God to make us homeschool (like the evil financial aid gods, *and* the closing of all other private schools in our county). Not because I disagree with the philosophy -- quite the contrary. Just that a good school is *good* for our kid. smile

Mia
    I
    I
    Pros:
    Today DD7 was excited about the subject she chose for her research project. When her natural love of learning is enhanced at school and she comes home all fired up to create her vision, it's a really good day.

MAP testing. I have a pretty good sense of what DD7 is ready to learn next, but it's nice having independent confirmation on a regular basis when dealing with atypical growth.

Cons:
    Junie B. Jones books are like nails on a chalkboard to me. eek

Bureaucracy.

I
    I
    This thread reminded me of a book that helped me maximize the pros and minimize the cons:

Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School by Grace Llewellyn

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Learning-Education-Without-School/dp/0471349607

I just can't resist throwing in my 2c that having happened to read this thread back-to-back with the kids having trouble with decision making thread just strikes me as funny... smile

It sounds like you have a good option there and I would definitely give it a try. And like the kids having trouble with decisions, this is one where I think it might help to remind yourself that even if it's not perfect it's not the end of the world. No school is perfect, homeschooling isn't perfect, none of this is perfect and most of us come out okay. Also, no two schools (or even two classes in the same school) will have the same pros and cons just as no two homeschools will work the same way... and no two kids need exactly the same things... I think you need to consider the specific school (or class) and your specific kid more than general pros and cons that can really only apply as generalizations.

But what would trump everything for me in your situation is that you don't want to homeschool. Unless you know for certain that your other options are just completely untenable, I wouldn't homeschool if it's not something you really want to do.

Erica
    L
    L
    I agree with all the comments above, I just was having trouble articulating all of them so I waited for someone else to answer. DD8,DD4 were in "school" because both DH and I work. First private and now DD8 is in public. Both kids are very happy. I'm disappointed in the challenge at public but that's some of our doing, DD8 doesn't mind it being easy more time to socialize (she is honest about how easy it is to me but doesn't tell her teachers).

One thing I would add is maybe he could do a private kinder (if it would be a better fit) if he's 4 vs preK. Depending on your district if you wait long enough you could enter them in public with an effective early entrance. For example, in our district once you attempt to enroll them in 2nd grade or above, they look at report cards, test scores not age. For K,1 they are strict on age limits. I only say this because our montessori is wanting to put DD4 (march bday) in Kinder next year. We will probably do it and deal with other decisions later.

M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you for being so open and honest. I have the same feelings, in that others just don't get DS. It's one of my biggest fears in "losig him again." I really will not be resetnful, and I do realize that you weren't calling me that.:) I don't know if I have the energy. I believe that I am given all that I need; so I guess all I can do is see. He has his in-class interview tomorrow morning; and I have decided to take it as a sign depending on how he does and how they react to him.

M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    remain flexible. got it.:) thank you.

M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I keep thinking that I will "lose" him again; but at least I know the early signs now, in retrospect. Depending on how it goes tomorrow, and if he gets in (which I think he will), we will probably try. It's just money, right? Once it's spent, it's spent. And either a new door will open, or it won't. thank you

M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    He definitely needs to know that he is ot the center of the unviverse. Unfortunately, I have had to tell him that it isn't about him all the time.:( I am 43, and do have lots of energy; and my hubby owns a large business - so he can't help much. So, really it would be a matter of getting in better shape, finding a good babysitter when I need a break. Once a week or every two weeks would be fine.

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments.

As far as a pv K, DS is way too immature. He would be fine academically, but again, I don't believe that he would make any friends. And he hates being treated like a baby. Luckily he is tall; but he has quite an imagination on him, and tends to take on characters, character-sounds, etc, and most kids just don't get him. He does have some friends his age; but I don't like where they are going to school.

Our public school system is not good. In the local high school last year, 25 girls in the senior class alone became pregnant and drugs are extremely prevalent. The teachers don't speak proper English, which makes me crazy. I won't go on.

My DS6 started K at 5 and was very immature emotionally. School has helped him mature enormously, it's amazing how much he's grown up being out from under my thumb! He had a rough couple of weeks when he first started. It hadn't occurred to him that temper tantrums and meltdowns might not be appropriate. He learn very quickly that there are other ways of dealing with problems.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM