Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    V
    OP Offline
    V
    I just joined the forum and was wondering how you keep up with your kids. My DS7 reads voraciously and loves to ask interesting questions at bedtime. Last night he had questions about the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. He has no friends who read at his level or who can discuss his interests so his dad and I are the only ones for these conversations. The problem is that I can't keep up (I work and our house is a mess). We often go to Wikipedia together but it would be nice to have some insight into at least one in every 30 questions. Sometimes he just wants to know what my favorite is and doesn't want to tell me his favorite first, such as, "Mom, which Titan do you like best, Kronos or Prometheus?" Does anyone have any advice for how to handle all the questions?

I usually turn it around on my kids if it's an opinion question: "I'm not sure. Which one is YOUR favorite...and why?"

Mostly we just live at the library. It's the only way to even begin to keep up! crazy

Our house is a mess, too, BTW! frown

Kriston
    After awhile you get really good at saying "I don't know"! LOL
    My DS6 has a notebook that we call "idea trap". Any time he needs an answer that I don't have, we write the question down until we have time to do the research. He's gotten quite good at doing his own research at this point but he loves it if I sit with him while he's looking.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Shari... great idea as usual. Making mental note for the coming years. And VolcanoMom this is just an assumption on my part and from what you wrote not really a fair one but get past the imagery that the parent should know more than the child. It is a sand trap of sorts and will keep you forever researching just trying to keep up. The best thing you can do is accept he will have interests that you don't and that's fine. You can always explore things together. What a great way to bond. Just remember to have fun with him. He will take you places you never thought you would explore. How exciting is that?

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    The best thing you can do is accept he will have interests that you don't and that's fine. You can always explore things together. What a great way to bond. Just remember to have fun with him. He will take you places you never thought you would explore. How exciting is that?

I love this! I definitely never thought I would have any interest in dinosaurs, let alone all their names, what period they are from, herbivore versus carnivore, etc., but it has been something DS6 and I have learned about together over the years and it really has been a great bonding opportunity!

V
    OP Offline
    V
    Thank you for all your feedback. I love the idea notebook. We'll start that tonight. It's going to be fun to look back and see all his questions. We had started an idea notebook earlier but I wanted DS7 to write in it and he really doesn't like to write.

It's been a wonderful experience to learn with our sons but it can also be overwhelming for me. There is so much out there to read and do. We had almost 4 years of dinosaurs, which was really fun. Have you been to the Ology site to play the "Layers of Time"?

http://www.amnh.org/ology/index.php?channel=paleontology

Val Offline
    Like the others, my favorite thing to say is, "What do you think?"

We keep up with reading by making frequent trips to a local library bookstore (books are 50c each, except the nice ones, which are a buck). We avoid the libraries because the librarians get unhappy when you don't return books (combination of messy house and absent-minded inhabitants).

Val

Last edited by Val; 04/27/09 10:06 PM.
    P
    P
    If you easily say "You know more about that topic than I do, what is your opinion" often enough eventually the kid figures out that you really don't know anything and life gets easier. There was a subtle little shift here when it was clear that wow, they were lying they really have no clue.

I can remember, when my daughter was younger, what a treasure it was to ride in the car alone. Now, I do like to have her with me (she is 11) and she is usually reading and I have to keep asking her questions. (Why did I encourage her to read?LOL)

However, I did develop a way to answer questions and converse with her and also drive or whatever I needed to do. I spent a lot of time with her, but sometimes, I had to pay attention to something else. I sometimes use this with my students at school because they want to tell me everthing and sometimes, I don't have time to listen.

M
    M
    Thanks for the dinosaur link - he'll love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM