Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 35 of 268 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 267 268
    Selenium!? LOL!!

Forget hiding the cookbook, hide the chemistry books!! LOL

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    N
    N
    Here's a story that DS6 wrote last week at school--his teacher lets him go off and write when the other kids are painfully reading "sss eeee SEE sss puh ah tuh SPOT...etc."

You probably know Frog and Toad--they're an old favorite of mine and we have all the books. DS6 has gone off and written a couple to go with the old familiar ones. This is his spelling, capitalization and punctuation, not mine. The story doesn't appear to be finished yet. The pages are numbered from 1 to 32, and he says he's going to write 8 more pages. We'll see. smile

Frog and Toad Together

Once upon a time...Frog and Toad were together all the time. Except 1 thing...Toad was always busy. and 1 other thing...Frog always was wanting to play. and Toad always forgot what to do. So he made a list. Frog was knocking on Toad's door. Toad answered the door. And Frog said: Do you want to come out and play? Frog asked. Frog, after I make my "What to Do" list, I can play. And Toad was starting to make a list to remember what he should do in the morning. Frog was knocking on Toad's door again. Frog, I'm finished. Toad said to Frog: Now I can play! Toad shouted. What do you want to do first? Toad said. I want to play Hopscotch, Frog said. That will be fun. So they played Hopscotch until they wanted to make up a new game. Frog, Toad said when he was out of breath, I want to play Tag. But first...We should take a rest. Ok, said Frog, as he was throwing his stone one more time. 1,23,45,67,8, Frog said. 8,76,54,32,1. Frog said again as he was hopping along. Now we can play Tag. Toad said when he got up. Well then...Frog said, You're it! Frog shouted. I'm gonna get you! Toad said after he was catching up to Frog. I want to play jokes, said Frog this time. Then Toad said: What do you get when you cross a stream and a river? said Toad, with plenty of questasition. Then Frog said, an water quake? Frog said, Knock, knock! Toad said, who's there? Frog answered, Ketchup. Toad said: Ketchup who? Frog answered: I'm gonna ketchup to you! Frog reapeated. Then Toad came up with one. What do you have when mixing a cookie and pancake mix? Toad questionally trying to say. And Frog said: you get cookie mix? Frog answerally getting in his head. Personally, Toad just wanted to make cookies for his pal. But he couldn't. So Toad had another joke. Soon he got tired of jokes. Frog, said Toad, I'm getting tired of jokes. Let's make cookies at my house! said Toad exclammitting after he and Frog arrived at the front door. Huh? Questioned Toad after opening the front door. Someone already made cookies here,said Frog after he was following Toad across the kitchen. Then Toad bumped into something. Frog bumped into Toad. Then something had him very close to the speakers. Someone turned on the speakers. Toad put earmuffs for Frog. Frog had earmuffs for Toad. Then they had some mystery cookies. And Frog was going to eat a cookie, only...Frog wasn't hungry. Toad, Frog said, I'm not very hungry. But I am tired. So they took a rest and thought all about being together. So Frog and Toad woke up. Do you want to play something indoors? Frog asked as drinking some mystery juice that was on the floor unspilled. So Toad said: Something's going on around here! Frog said, Why not come to my house? Frog asked with quastramental language. Toad had to say: Ok, we're going to your house; Frog. So Frog and Toad went to Frog's house. Frog opened the front door. That's weird, said Frog. Something is going on around here, too. Then Frog and Toad heard some voices. Suprise! Their friends shouted. Turtle said, we made this suprise stuff just for you. Toad laughed. Oh, Toad said. So that's what's happening. So Frog and Toad had fun at the party. But, Frog was hungry. He saw Toad in the dining room. Can I eat this food? Frog asked with excitement. Turtle said, sure. We're gonna eat in the kitchen anyway. So Turtle shouted: TIME TO EAT! Yay! Toad shouted. And Frog started in the kitchen. By the time Frog was finished, the party was over. Toad went home. Frog went with Toad. Toad, said Frog, that was over. I'm glad. said Frog again. Then Toad and Frog made cookies and a cake to make a suprise party for Turtle. That is a good idea, said Frog. They had a big day. 5 days later...Toad had a brain washing dream. Frog was knocking on the door. Who's there? Toad asked while he was shaking himself around. It's Frog, your pal! shouted Frog loud at the door. I'm coming! Toad was shouting also. Hello, Frog! Toad said.

Nautigal, that's really, really cute. I love the social interaction your DS has captured. Funny, they sound like they are six... wink

I've been fascinated by my own DD2's social development. I think I'd love to meet your DS.

Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Here's a story that DS6 wrote last week at school--his teacher lets him go off and write when the other kids are painfully reading "sss eeee SEE sss puh ah tuh SPOT...etc."

Your DS is the true Nautigal Son!!

Mr W (15Mo) was his usual self at a BBQ this weekend.

He found one woman to flirt with and ended up playing games with her.

The woman would pull her hand away as he tried to give her five. Sometimes he got her hand before she could pull it away and sometimes not. She kept speeding things up to where he was hitting air a lot.

So Mr W lifted up his right hand, smiled, and then slapped her hand with his left!

Master of none,

" Reserve the use of the word frozen to something below 32 degrees f."

Not everything freezes below 32 degrees F. That just happens to be the freezing point of water.
    Anything that is solid is technically frozen. Think about a chocolate chip - it is a solid, but it melts when it is left in the sun right? So, if something can melt (which all solids can) then it must be able to be frozen too. (freezing and melting happen at the same temperature for each object, it just depends if you are cooling it down or heating it up)
    Although it doesn't fit with how we view the world, scientifically speaking, she is correct. (Sorry to say this, as it sounds like this drives you crazy.)
    We had a similar issue with our DD6 a while back, luckily she got out of the phase before it drove me too crazy. (Of course she's now onto a different equally frustrating phase)

S
    S
    Cool story Nautigal. That is quite amazing, the creativity and the interesting storyline. DS4 is quite different than that. He likes his word games...but he is quite a mathy kid. He started writing a story once....but apparently tired after doing the title and picture, LOL. It was called "when they saw the rainbow" I often wonder what happened when they saw it. I guess I will never know. ; )

He also wrote a book shortly after turning 4 called "the things I love" and on each page drew pictures of what he loves and wrote about it. It was quite comical because frequently he would draw something and them comment that he doesn't really love that, that he just likes it. So most of his sentences on the pages would be something like this. "I don't really LOVE oranges, but I do like them"

S
    S
    I am not sure if this is a brag or a confession...but DS4 plays Quiddler with DH and I. We play almost every night. DS is the score keeper as well. He beats us quite often...and we don't help him with words because he is too good. He will often give me suggestions with words that are better than mine...and I think I am actually pretty good. We played with a group of friends last weekend (one of which has a PHD in English) and DS won. And we do check his scorekeeping and he is correct. In fact, one time DH started to correct him and then DS explained how DH was wrong...and DS was right. And he adds our cards in his head faster than I do. He will announce how many points I have with my cards before his. It's insane. And then there are the times that he tells us about words that we don't know exist and he looks them up and he is right. Talk about humbling experiences. Word games + Math + DS = Lots of fun

A
    A
    I love reading this thread!

My DD2.5 is really into dress up. She is never herself. She especially loves to dress up when it's time to pick up DS6 from school.

Her latest characters are "Super why" and "Princess Presto" from PBS kids. She walks around with her little question mark reading everything she can find!

I just crack me up when people say look it's "Cinderella or a Batman" and she replies, no I'm a "Super Reader or a Super Speller". They just look at her with no response. Here is this two year old telling them to get with it! LOL!

I'm so proud of my little nerd! : )

Page 35 of 268 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM