Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    W
    Thanks for starting this thread! We got Explore test results for DD age 11 last month and were wondering how they compared with ACT especially because of the ceiling. We took Explore through Duke Tip in January. Her scores were surprising, even to me.
    Comp. 25
    Math 25
    English 25
    Reading 23
    Science 25
    She has never had any individual testing but she hits the ceiling on standardized testing through school so we joined Tip and took the Explore to figure out about what level she is performing at.
    I took this to the school principal as he was a former middle school principal, looking for some guidance for planning for middle school. He was unimpressed, I don't think he understood why I was so concerned. People around here don't seem to be familiar with the test.
    Thanks for letting me share!
    Wendy

OP Offline
    Yes, I agree with Dottie, those are great scores. With hitting ceilings across the board I'd expect her ACT scores would be much higher than these numbers.

I'm real disappointed the former middle school principal didn't know anything about this test.

Would you mind sharing what you've done academically with your daughter up to this point? Is she home/public/private schooled? If not homeschooled, is she in a gifted program of any kind?

W
    W
    I was disappointed as well frown
    DD goes to a small public school where the AIG program starts in 4th grade. They have reading and math with the AIG teacher daily instead of with the regular classroom teacher. She has had hit or miss acceleration depending on the teacher and the mood of administration that year.

Kindergarten she was in a K/1 split and did centers and the fun stuff with K and the reading, math, and writing with 1st.
    1st she went to 2nd for reading, no math.
    2nd she did 2nd grade reading, again, with supposed math acceleration in her "free time" (fought with admin to no avail)
    3rd (Yay 3rd!) the second week of school the teacher called and said that she and the AIG teacher would like to accelerate her in reading (apparently behind the admin's back). 5th grade AIG reading in 3rd and she did quite well.
    4th new AIG teacher so 4th grade AIG reading and math
    5th (New admin. Yay! The reign of terror is over!) AIG reading, again and math.
    So now she has done 2nd grade reading and 5th grade AIG reading twice.

We thought about skipping 1st but she was very immature socially. She has come a long way but she is still behind socially. I think the principal was afraid I was looking for her to skip 6th, he kept saying how the real challenge for her would be the transition to middle school.

W.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Those are amazing scores Wendy! Your daughter needs advanced work (she's in the top % of 8th graders already entering 6th, right?).

OMA - I used EXPLORE math score to place out of middle school connected math sequence (which I don't like anyway). He took Stats this yr along with an online Fractals course. Next yr community college intermed alg probably. All his other classes are enriched and he has great teachers (wish they went up through high school) so I haven't needed to negotiate anything further at this point.

I'm thinking that maybe the principal and the school district want to keep a high scoring kid to puff up their standardized averages?

W
    W
    I would love to move DD a little faster in our middle school math. There is apparently no AIG, just the AIG kids grouped with the bright regular kids. 6th is regular math, 7th is Pre-algebra, and 8th Algebra on that track.
    Did you rely on Explore scores or were there other data requirements?

C
    cym Offline
    C
    We did Algebra through AoPS (Art of Problem Solving) online. There's no grade, but wonderful grasp of material. All we did was say he had taken it online and scored very high on EXPLORE. In other words, pretty much mastered 8th/9th grade math.

I have a question regarding the Explore test. Is it a test of what you know or is it a reasoning test?

It's an achievement test, but the science section is much more reasoning than anything else.... Math and grammar are pretty much straight what-do-you-know types of questions, Reading is comprehension (nothing fancy, but you know... stuff you can theoretically figure out from the text without having any background in it) and science is graph/chart/data interpretation.

It qualifies as an acheivement test for our homeschool testing purposes, when the SAT does not....

Does that help?

Erica
    well you two have really cleared that up for me wink

laugh Thanks, it does make sense though!

I'm thinking of DS taking it next year as a 4th grader. Is there more than 1 place to register for this test or is it only DUKE Tip http://www.tip.duke.edu/ ?

Dazey

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM