Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #44243 04/11/09 05:23 AM
    R
    river Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I'm new here and just wondering if anyone knows enough about this specific test to help me understand what my scores mean.
    I actually have no idea if I am gifted or not although the test results say I am gifted.

what exactly are the criteria for being called "gifted"?

The test tells me I am in the top 5% for overall intelligence with learning abilities that range from 99.9 percentile to 50 percentile rank , I don't understand how having a few subtest results at the 99 mark makes me gifted overall though.
    help please someone thats in the know.

And also, how come there is no spell check on here?
    lol

river #44310 04/11/09 08:43 PM
    R
    river Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Surely someone here must know something that might be helpful to me!
    I am assuming my test results put me into the 2e catagory but I have no idea what ones test results must be to be put into that catagory since I only recently had this test done on me.

Or am I missing something a little more obvious here like the unspoken social rules of the site?
    I did notice that someone apologised in another thread for not formally introducing themselves, although why on earth anyone would need to do that I have no idea,,, but if there ARE unspoken social rules on this site can someone please be helpful and post them as otherwise I will never pick up on them nor see any sense in them since I personally can't see any need for them.

*river sits in the corner waiting for a nice person to pass by and drop in with a helpful chat*

river #44311 04/11/09 08:48 PM
    J
    J
    hiya
    I'm new here and didn't introduce myself either.

I don't know anything about these tests (yet)

How come whoever gave you the test didn't explain the results? Just wondering because I don't know.

If you use firefox, there is spell check built into the browser for whenever you're typing in an input field

I don't know any of the unspoken social rules either wink

jesse #44312 04/11/09 09:16 PM
    R
    river Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hiya Jesse, yeah I saw that you joined up not long after I joined up on here,,, nice to meet you I'm Greg, although everyone calls me River or River_gold, I was really happy to find this messageboard amongst others who love thinking as the messageboard that I "grew up on" is far too full of people that really don't like thinking and prefer to sling insults and the likes,,, boring!
    lol

She did explain a lot about the tests in my report but I suspect I have weaknesses in the areas that would make the associations between the results and what they mean, either that or she is concerned that I may react once they have been explained to me,, thats the only things I can think of since I have learned that some people really do have strong reactions to learning they are gifted but also have weaknesses in some areas.
    Maybe no-one likes being the bearer of bad news?
    blowed if I know but I am far more interested in growing from this than having an emotional reaction to it,,,

Maybe if there are any unspoken rules of the site then someone will take pity on us and share them if we sit here looking sad enough?
    hehe

River conjures up a small cafe at the crossroads of life and fills the walls with interesting artworks full of double meanings and analogies of life, he fashioned the tables and chairs from freshly fallen trees that gave way to a recent storm,,,

Sit down and take a load off your mind,,,
    the bar is open if you are thirsty.

:-)

ps, I don't have firefox, please excuse my spelling mistakes.

river #44317 04/12/09 04:52 AM
    K
    K
    I think not too many people are around since it's a holiday weekend. Believe me, it's not an intentional snub! There are a few test experts that are on the board (I'm not one of them) but I'm guessing it would help to list your full results that you want some help with.

kimck #44319 04/12/09 05:26 AM
    R
    river Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks, and phew! I will have to keep reminding myself that there are a lot less people on these messageboards too so the threads won't move as fast as I am used to I guess.
    *ponders on the best way to display my test results in this medium*
    I guess it's mostly the summary and how the percentiles relate to the summary that confuses me, ie, just cause some of the test scores were high then how does that put me into the top 5% for overall intelligence when some of the scores are at the 50 percentile and most are between the 50 and 99 percentile.
    I'll list the results soon.
    Thanks for the reply.

river #44322 04/12/09 05:51 AM
    R
    river Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    WAIS-III test results

This assessment places Greg in a superior range i.e. in the top 5% for overall intelligence. He has particularly excellent perceptual organisational abilities. The relation between his learning abilities could be interpreted as reflecting dyslexia.

Summary

Greg is an adult with overall superior intelligence. He has particulary excellent perceptual organisation abilities and could accurately be described as a gifted visual spatial learner. There are statistically significant differences between his learning abilities. Individuals with statistically significant differences between their learning abilities frequently find many learning situations frustrating.

Verbal test --------------------------------- %ile rank

Vocabulary ---------------------------------- 84
    similarities -------------------------------- 75
    arithmetic ---------------------------------- 95
    digit span ---------------------------------- 84
    information --------------------------------- 63
    comprehension ------------------------------- 91
    letter-number seq. -------------------------- 50

Performance
    picture completion -------------------------- 75
    coding -------------------------------------- 50
    block design -------------------------------- 99.9
    matrix reasoning ---------------------------- 99.6
    symbol search ------------------------------- 84
    object assembly ----------------------------- 63
    picture arrangement ------------------------- 63

IQ index

verbal --------------------- high average --- 87
    performance ---------------- superior ------- 97
    full scale ----------------- superior ------- 95
    verbal comprehension ------- high average --- 86
    perceptual organisation ---- very superior -- 99.9
    working memory ------------- high average --- 84
    processing speed ----------- average -------- 70

river #44327 04/12/09 06:39 AM
    Mia Offline
    Hi River, and welcome! Please don't be offended -- just a quiet board day. smile

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like *overall* your scores place you in the 95th percentile for full scale. So you have several very high scores, some high scores, and some average scores, and the sum of all *those* scores puts your full scale IQ in the superior range.

The block design and matrix reasoning scores are obviously very, very good, and perceptual organization is excellent ... that and the performance score pull up the overall full-scale IQ.

It's believed that people can be gifted in only one area -- perceptual, verbal, whathaveyou. Your scores in perceptual organization are very high; that's obviously your strength and where you're most gifted.

There may be some tendencies toward "twice exceptional" -- that is, a hidden learning disability -- with this score profile, but I don't know that much about 2Es. Wait for some more responses on that one.

Welcome!

(Oh -- I see that the tester identified possible dyslexia. Do you see that in everyday life?)

Mia
    Mia #44330 04/12/09 08:03 AM
    R
    river Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi Mia, Oh I wasn't offended in any way, was just more curious as to why so many people had viewed my thread (is that what you call them here?) and yet had not posted,, I'm still getting used to realising that I am gifted and not as stupid as people in my past have led me to believe,, I tend to think everyone is smarter than I am.

I still don't "get it" how come the lower scores don't pull the overall full-scale IQ down?
    for a while I thought I might have been scammed cause the results differed so much from the "reality" I experience when around other people, although I agree with the tests when compared to how I feel when I am on my own and just doing my thing.

Whats perceptual organisation good for in real life though? I see the words but don't have any "pictures or connections" within me that say oh,, that means I can do this or I can do that,,, and so on, they are pretty much just meaningless words to me when trying to connect them with real life (esp jobs that would suit the gifts)

I really don't know enough about dyslexia to comment on if I see it in real life much,
    as a child I would sometimes walk into a shop and swear black and blue that the way home was the exact wrong way, it was like someone had turned the world around while I was in the shop, hehe
    and I have to watch numbers when I write them down as I do catch myself out transposing numbers from time to time, letters too but thats to a much lesser extent.
    sometimes my mind goes too fast for what I am writing and I find myself writing the first letter to the next word before I have even finished writing the previous word,, but that doesn't sound like dyslexia to me,,
    but then I really don't know enough about what dyslexia would "look" like in real life to recognise it within myself,, I could read the descriptions of it till I am blue in the face and still not be able to recognise many of the signs that I might actually be displaying.
    I relate so much better to stories that "capture" the concepts of the signs in real life activities than I would relate to the sequentially based descriptions of them (if thats the right term to use in this case)

All I know is many people tell me I am living on another planet and yet they refuse to explain what makes them say that!
    It's very frustrating when someone tells you there is something wrong about you and then refuses to explain what makes them think that!

How would I go about looking within myself for any hidden learning abilities so I can be sure I am not compensating with my gifts to fool the tester into thinking I don't have any dissabilities?
    I think thats something I just naturally think everyone does,, like mind reading or realising what the answer "should be" , I thought everyone did that!
    My boss told me that she feels I was dishonest in the interview since I replied to hypothetical questions with the answers that just popped into my head,,, but everyone does that don't they?

I only have a problem when I have been in pain or am stressed and the answers no longer just pop into my head, I have a neck injury and after the last surgery it took a long time to get back to firing on all cylinders and a nasty woman at work took full advantage of my weakness and exposed it rather than giving me support. but thats another story.
    sorry, I do ramble on a bit ,,, just trying to work it all out really.

river #45513 04/25/09 05:51 AM
    R
    river Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Well it looks like I don't belong here for sure,
    blowed if I know how to get people to help me, I would have thought this would be the perfect place,, seems I was dead wrong.

somewhere I am sure there must be a place where people actually talk and help each other.
    seems it's not here for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM