Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #45424 04/23/09 05:56 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Any good books with a 7th grade content level, but high school/college reading level? DD13 says she wants some harder books, but a good amount of the adult section books have bad themes and inappropriate language/situations. Shes really into classics, but also wants some nonfiction books and just normal novels. She just read the Hunchback of Notre Dame with minimal difficulty and really enjoyed it. (I believe her lexile was 1492, but that was at the beginning of the school year, so it might have improved) We are just trying to get a start on a summer reading list.

Bassetlover #45430 04/23/09 06:42 PM
    N
    N
    Has she read Jane Austen yet? Or -- this may be off the wall, but she might like dabbling in something like the Norton Anthology of English Lit. Little snippets from lots of authors, and she could go further with any of them that appealed to her. With anything pre-1960 or so, you shouldn't have to worry about language, though a lot of it might not be all that interesting to her yet.

NCmom #45433 04/23/09 07:24 PM
    M
    M
    NCMom had some great ideas! Mine are less classy, I'm afraid...

Hmmm--I wonder if she'd like the Jan Karon or Maeve Binchy books? Not great literature, but not bad either--they're adult books, but not adult books, if you see what I mean! (It has been years since I read any of them, but one of my dear friends is a very conservative pastor's wife, and she likes them, so I think my memory that they are quite innocent must be accurate.)

These are just silly, but fun: any of the PG Wodehouse books, any of the EF Benson "Lucia" books, Laurie King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series, John Mortimer's Rumpole books, the Josephine Tey mysteries--maybe something there? I was vacuuming up those sorts of books at that age (well, the Laurie King ones are too recent for that, but I read lots of British humour and hundreds and hundreds of mysteries in junior high)--but perhaps she'd rather have something a bit more serious.

Biographies, maybe? Have to be a bit careful with the subject, I suppose, but there ought to be some safe ones!

You might try looking at Judith Wynn Halsted's book "Some of My Best Friends are Books." It has a heavily annotated bibliography of books suited for gifted readers at various age levels, and you might be able to tell from the descriptions whether something is apt to suit her or not.

peace
    minnie

minniemarx #45439 04/24/09 04:02 AM
    S
    S-T Offline
    S
    How abt young adults books like :-

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
    The Giver by Lois Lowry

If she likes biography, try
    Angela's Ashes: A Memoir + Teacher Man by Frank McCourt

CFK #45455 04/24/09 06:53 AM
    N
    N
    Also HIGHLY recommend James Herriot, if she hasn't discovered his books already. The first is All Creatures Great and Small.

Oh, and from the Norton Anthology -- Jerome K. Jerome (Three Men in a Boat) and P.G. Wodehouse spring to mind. (Well, I'm not sure Wodehouse rates the Norton Anthology, but he is funny. lol)

And I second Agatha Christie!

Last edited by NCmom; 04/24/09 06:56 AM.
    NCmom #45459 04/24/09 07:11 AM
    M
    M
    Had a couple of other ideas overnight:

Stella Gibbons, Cold Comfort Farm
    Flora Thompson, Lark Rise to Candleford

minniemarx #45476 04/24/09 12:34 PM
    A Euro-based English reading list for 13 year olds?

Take a look at Madeleine L'Engle. Her "A Wrinkle in Time" is very good. Most of her other books are also good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle_in_Time

"The Scarlet Pimpernel" is another good book in the same milieu as Hugo's books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Pimpernel

I really liked Josephine Tey's "A Daughter of Time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daughter_of_Time

And this might be also good to finish the summer with. You might be able to find it running in a local stock production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_for_All_Seasons

Austin #45486 04/24/09 03:04 PM
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Jane Austen
    Wuthering Heights
    The Time Machine
    I Robot
    Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Gulliver's Travels

Lorel #45487 04/24/09 03:30 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks, she has already read "The Percy Jackson and the Olympians", "The Giver", "I Robot" (it might have had a different name, but it was by Asimov), "Journey to the.....", a few of the Agatha Christie books, so she already enjoys those, and will next year read "The Scarlet Pimpernel" for school. I might have missed a few, but we'll add those to the list./

Bassetlover #45491 04/24/09 04:57 PM
    N
    N
    On the science fiction side, I would recommend looking at Connie Willis, CJ Cherryh's Cyteen series (three books, read them in order), Lois McMaster Bujold (in particular the Miles Vorkosigan series), and the Robert Heinlein juveniles (the adult-oriented ones are pretty racy, but he did write a number of books for younger readers).

Definitely the Madeleine L'Engle books recommended earlier! Also Scott O'Dell wrote quite a few in that line.

If she would be interested in any fantasy, Piers Anthony has a number of fantastic series. The Apprentice Adept series (7 books) is terrific, as is the Incarnations of Immortality (also 7 books). There is a very interesting and completely different type of series called Geodyssey (I think it's 5 books now) that I find fascinating and impossible to explain. And of course, for the punny at heart, there is always his Xanth series (too many to count). Along those lines, Robert Asprin has a punny light fantasy series called the Myth books--Mythconceptions, Mything Link, etc.

Hope that helps!

Nautigal #45498 04/24/09 08:08 PM
    Hi Nautigal,
    Welcome! I love the Cyteen series - but would NOT reccomend them for a twelve year old who is sensitive. (rape + drugs) Great Characters though and big ideas - so fun.

Hi Bassetlover,
    I like Jane Yolen- lots but not all are ok for kids.

We found The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, by Diana Wynne Jones
    Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant
    The Magicians of Caprona / Witch Week

through the movie 'Howl's moving Castle' which is based on Diana Wynne Jones's book.

Last summer we all read and enjoyed Orson Scott Card's Enders series(es)
    Yummy. Some violence, though.

Tamora Pierce is a favorite.

I'm not personally a fan, but lots of kids like Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern - and it's a series.

I love the Oz series, even though it won't be a challenge.

You could try Hoagies Gifted for more ideas:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/hot_topics.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Hoagies-Book-List-Gifted-Girls/lm/9691A06HA6TO

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #45503 04/24/09 08:44 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    "Speak" by L. Anderson
    Sherman Alexie books
    Garth Nix "Sabriel", "Lireal" & "Abhorsen" trilogy
    Chronicles of Oz (The Takers, etc.)

At school mine read (I only remember some):
    Anne Frank - 7th
    The Giver - 7th
    The Good Earth - 8th
    To Kill a Mockingbird - 8th
    Animal Farm - 9th

If your daughter is really advanced, start reading from the AP English book list--there are so many. I'll try to find a link

cym #45505 04/24/09 09:42 PM
    N
    N
    Oooh, I had forgotten Ender's Game and the rest!

I guess I had also forgotten the inappropriate bits of Cyteen, sorry! Depends on the sensitivities of the child in question, and the parents...I wouldn't think twice about it when my kids get to that age, most likely, but I wouldn't keep them from the better Heinlein either! smile

Grinity, I agree about Anne McCaffrey--I've never gotten into anything of hers, for some reason.

I also forgot to mention another series by Robert Asprin that would be good--the Phule books. Phule's Company, A Phule and his Money, etc.

How about Gone With the Wind? I had probably read that a few times at that age. And if she might like mysteries, you could try the Mrs. Pollifax books by Dorothy Gilman--they are great "girl-inspiration" in a completely non-preachy way, about a little old lady who goes to work for the CIA as a spy.

I'm sorry, don't get me started on books...it's quite hazardous! smile

Nautigal #45508 04/25/09 02:57 AM
    I was speaking with our high school English teacher yesterday and she said that she had to discontinue teaching British lit and Shakespeare. The students just cannot get it at all. They cannot read the language - too difficult.

She said that learning to read this type of lit starts early and to read to our daughter (above her level) so that she can hear it. We have done some of this, but I have been lax lately. This really scared me that our culture is going to only modern books.

Ellipses #45510 04/25/09 04:43 AM
    Originally Posted by Ellipses
    I was speaking with our high school English teacher yesterday and she said that she had to discontinue teaching British lit and Shakespeare. The students just cannot get it at all. They cannot read the language - too difficult.

She said that learning to read this type of lit starts early and to read to our daughter (above her level) so that she can hear it. We have done some of this, but I have been lax lately. This really scared me that our culture is going to only modern books.

I cannot even believe this. Is this shocking to others or just me??

chris1234 #45511 04/25/09 05:21 AM
    D
    D
    Yes, shocking Chris.

Some that my daughter�s freshman class has read this year;

The Prince and the Pauper

Jane Eyre

A Separate Peace

delbows #45512 04/25/09 05:32 AM
    D
    D
    DS has recommended these to friends this year.

The Hunger Games

Evil Genius and Genius Squad

chris1234 #45521 04/25/09 07:37 AM
    Originally Posted by chris1234

I cannot even believe this. Is this shocking to others or just me??

Shocking, sad, infuriating...YES!

Mostly it just makes me want to go curl up in a ball and cry! frown cry

Kriston
    Kriston #45522 04/25/09 07:42 AM
    Sure, Shakespeare and others take time, but to have it gone from literature. It is frightening. The students just will not do it.

Ellipses #45523 04/25/09 08:32 AM
    L
    L

I bought a set of books a long time ago when my daughter was little called The Harvard Classics. My daughter was not interested in reading them, but my son really liked listening to me read Aesop's Fables when he was three or four years old. When he was five or six and had to do a character study for some characters in Hamlet for his musical theater class and he did not have a problem with the vocabulary, but he started talking like a Shakespearean actor and would remain "in character" through the gymnastics class he was in at the time. I think it was one of the reasons the new teacher gymnastics teacher seemed to be annoyed by him. The old teacher acted like she thought it was cute and went along with it.

Ellipses #45524 04/25/09 09:19 AM
    D
    D
    Sure, Shakespeare and others take time, but to have it gone from literature. It is frightening. The students just will not do it.

My daughter�s class is currently reading Romeo and Juliet which is still pretty standard 8th-10th grade material, along with Hamlet, I think.

delbows #45527 04/25/09 01:33 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    She "fell in love" (I put her phrases in quotes) with Shakespeare after reading "A Midsummer's Night Dream". Strange, though, because I don't think she has read any more Shakespeare since then.

Bassetlover #45538 04/25/09 04:48 PM
    N
    N
    The students just will not do it.

Then the students should fail. What are they planning to do when the students discover that they can get things removed from the curriculum by refusing to do them? Oh, wait--"business as usual" for the schools, the reason they are so increasingly dismal.

Nautigal #45543 04/25/09 06:09 PM
    In my experience as a former teacher and a student for many (MANY!) years, usually if students won't do something, it's because the teacher isn't loving the material and sharing that love with the students. If the teacher hates Shakespearean language, the students will, too.

That's also usually why material gets removed from the curriculum. Students don't have that kind of power. But teachers might!

All the more reason for it just to make me sad. frown

Kriston
    Kriston #45558 04/25/09 09:52 PM
    M
    M
    I had another idea, Bassetlover--do you know the Persephone Press? It's a reprint house in London, specializing in inter-war books by, about, or for women--and there are some absolute gems on their list. Why not have her take a gander at their catalogue and see if anything grabs her?

www.persephonebooks.co.uk

peace
    minnie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students