Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    J
    Good luck!

I am thinking good thoughts for you today!

Crisc
    Mia Offline
    Good luck! smile

Mia
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I guess I went in thinking the school district might have been beginning to see the light when it came to gifties when they granted my DD9's partial day. Can you believe, they won't allow any high school credits until they are of high school age, chronologically that is. Who cares what they are able to do so long as they are "old enough" to be doing it. Hugh?

I made it very clear I am not looking to see my DD9 graduate early. I don't think that would necessarily be in her best interest but would like for her to have some recognition for the work she does. I don't care if she graduates with more credits than needed but just that they are there to show she did the work and she is able to move ahead to meet her needs.

I will say that the Director of Curriculum said that she will look into it a little more and get back to me the beginning of next week, so I haven't given up all hope, but this is the current policy as it stands.

How do you argue this?

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I'm sorry the meeting didn't go as well as planned. I hope the Director comes back with some good news. I'm not sure how you argue it, I'd start by researching if the district has a written policy to that effect, either way. Then look at the state board policies.........but I'm thinking you may have already checked that out.

Personally, I haven't had any luck getting the district to make exception to policy. I've done better taking advantage of situations in which there are no written policies.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

I'm sorry too that the meeting didn't go as planned. Good luck and keep us informed as to how you are doing.

hugs,
    Dazey

M
    OP Offline
    M
    If they can provide enough courses, which the michigan virtual schools and the local college appear to be able to, then I see no reason for her not to take that number of credits in high school (chronologically) in addition to whatever she does ahead of time. She could still be required to take 3 math and 3 science during those years and be allowed to take advanced classes now. What is wrong with say 30 credits at graduation versus the 24 required credits?

Like everything else in our district the policy isn't written. At least none of my points to the school district so far have produced any written policy. I requested it over a year ago and didn't received anything. I read the handbooks cover to cover and can't find anything there.

A
    A
    Hi, melmichigan! My DS9 is quickly approaching this same situation, and I will be following your progress and your commentary on it.

Our middle school upper level courses do not accumulate HS credit either, even though those same courses are offered for credit at the HS level for the middle and lower track kids.

My concern is having enough credits to graduate, in case my DS is dually-enrolled HS and college, and we choose not to send him to college early. HG+ under-agers are not required to have a HS diploma to be admitted to those colleges that accept them (how could they?), but if you plan to send a kid at 18, you would be required to jump through all the same hoops as everyone else (including class rankings, weighted or otherwise).

Plus, I've been asking if my district accepts distance learning advanced coursework for credit, and if so, how would that be graded in the weighted class rankings. For instance, our HS doesn't offer AP German, nor does it offer AP Calculus BC. If we were to pursue other options for those courses, I'd want to make sure my DS received credit for them and his high grades.

Here is an angle I've been considering for my own advocacy: does your district allow for transfer credit -- for students moving to the district from another one, or even another state? If so, why is the coursework your child is accumulating different from that the transfer student? If one is eligible for credit, why not the other?

As far as the accumulation of extra credits goes, one of the many accepted paths for HG+ kids has been to arrive in HS early, and remain for 6 years or so, some of that time dually-enrolled in college. Why choose between Latin III and French III, or between a science emphasis and a humanities emphasis, etc., when you can have it all? Each kid is different, but this works well for those who need a little extra maturity time before going off to college (like my DS9, who is twice-exceptional).

Our district has the 3 years of math, so many years of this and that policy as well. I then worry about the kids who are dually enrolled HS and college, and how could they satisfy diploma / graduation requirements if the college credits don't count.

Perhaps your state's department of education has some sort of gifted ed adviser on staff? Someone who could advocate for your daughter's unusual educational path? Someone who could work with your district administrators on your behalf?

Sorry to ramble on so long. Just wanted to share my thoughts so you would know you are not alone.

Best wishes to you and your DD.

E
    E
    melmichigan,

I don't have advice to offer but as I've discussed with you before, we seem to have similar kids. I've been wondering the same things you've expressed above though I have not discussed my concerns yet with administrators.

Since beginning homeschooling just a month or so ago, I can see that DS will be at high school level math before too long. We are currently doing the Aleks program and just methodically going through each level, I think will reach high school level math within the next year or so. (He took the Explore test and got a 94% in math against 8th graders. I've wondered whether to jump him ahead but have opted not to because I don't want him to have gaps in his learning and figure there is no rush.)

I'm anxious to hear what your administrators say with your situation. Please keep us posted. I'm afraid we may be dealing with the same issues here.

One thing I do want to mention is something I found out about just the other day. I can't remember where you are located in Michigan but in the Ann Arbor area, it is possible to begin a sort of dual enrollment highschool/college through Washtenaw Community College. It's called Washtenaw Technical Middle College. Kids are required to have 5 credits worth of 9th grade level work (they outline the requirements, english, math, etc.) before being admitted to the school. I'm really hoping there is no age requirement but I imagine there is. I'm also not sure how this works for homeschoolers but intend to find out.

The school does not require a high school diploma before entrance and upon graduation kids get both the HS diploma and the number of college credits they take for transfer to a 4 year college or as a 2 year concurrent associate's degree.

I was so relieved to hear that there was another option locally for us. Perhaps a similar one exists where you are? I understand your concerns as there is no gifted legislation in Michigan. Your daughter should get credit for the work she's done regardless of her grade/age when she takes it.

Good luck! smile

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Here they aren't permitted to attend college classes under dual enrollment until 11th grade, as policy stands. They are also limited by what classes they can take so they couldn't say finish an associates degree like mentioned in Washtenaw. To bad we don't live there.

After going through the handbook, again, I am going to ask about transfer credits when the Director calls me back next week. It says that "transfer credits from a comprehensive public or private high school accredited by North Central Association or similar agencies will receive comparable credit and letter grades".

Keystone National High School is accredited by the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools and has core course approval from the National Collegiate Athletic Association. They are also a licensed private school in Pennsylvania. When I talked to them they said that my DD would be able to take classes now but couldn't enroll for the high school diploma program until all courses at an eighth grade level are completed; they explained this as until she is able to show she could pass all admission exams at an eighth grade level for math and ELA. She is close in math but not in ELA. Until then she could take other high school credits as enrichment and they would be treated as any other high school credit if she chooses to enroll in the high school when she is ready. They will also provide transcripts if she chooses to attend the high school here, or any other high school. I am wondering if this may be a way around the district here. Any ideas?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM