Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    I have no particular advice, but I just wanted to say again that I don't think you are over reacting by any stretch of the imagination! That is really horrible. I agree with Neato - this teacher doesn't sound qualified to work with GT kids. I'm surprised she was actually "trained". I can't imagine any good, responsible, and caring teacher taking this tone with any 3rd grader.

I don't have time to read all of the relies right now, but I read your post OP. I am in shock. I am so sorry for you and your son that you had to go through that. My heart would be broken to listen to someone speak to my child like that.

I have no great words of advice, except I can say that being a teacher I can see absolutely NO reason to ever, ever speak to a child like that. The is spirit crushing and just plain mean. It is most definitely verbal abuse and again, I'm so sorry.

E
    E
    Oliver,

Please let us know how things progress. Your post has stayed with me all day and I am worried for your son--

This describes it so truly---
    Originally Posted by oneisenough
    spirit crushing and just plain mean.

Good luck. we are all rooting for you and your son.

J
    J
    I am in shock. How do you inspire learning when a child is faced with that kind of opinion. It sounds like the teacher has a personality conflict going on with your child.

I know this is personal, but how many birthdays have you being invited to lately?". Continuing further - "How many play dates have you been on ?"
    shocked

That is as inappropriate as a student telling a teacher "do you know how many students pretend to really like you?" Why such a focus on popularity instead of 'learning', acceptance, and a safe environment.

I would bring it up so she doesn't do it to another student again. Hopefully your son has already forgotten the conversation and dismissed everything she said.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM