Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    RJH Offline
    DD5 has always been like that. I just chalked it up to her having a mostly cloudy personality....never thought it could be a gifted thing. Hmmmm. I try to just not argue with her. She will say the sky in not blue, too. Or about how a word in pronounced. Or the name of a rare animal.

My in-laws are the worst though. Ugh! They will argue with her until she backs down. Drives me nuts! I mean seriously, why would you "need to win" an argument with a little kid?

A
    A
    My older son won't back down. At 7, he is very contrary. It all depends how you approach him though.

Originally Posted by HoosierMommy
    Wow, this sounds like DD3. There have been several times I've looked out the window and said, "Oh, it's raining outside," and she'll insist it's not raining. My favorite is when she tells me the sky isn't blue after I've commented on how nice and blue the sky is on any given day. I told my mother she's going to be a lawyer.

Hehe ... okay the sky is blue comment I just can't resist this one. The famous question "Why is the sky blue?" has my standard answer of it isn't blue. Technically it is all colors absorb with the blue shade reflected back. (And yes this works on all objects) so when your daughter is arguing that it isn't blue she is correct. <evil grin>

CAMom,

Thank you so much for the article. It really is an interesting read. My 2 1/2 year old is already on her way and has been driving me nuts the last few weeks with what I call her negotiation tactics. Today it was cheese and her need for it. She insisted that she needed a slice of swiss cheese so I gave her a slice. Once done she said Now I need a slice of the other one. I argued she already had a slice but she came back with yes the swiss but not the other one. And besides she needs two slices. So I gave her the American cheese and she ate that piece and said she now needed the swiss ... Okay you already had the swiss cheese. Yes mommy (her response) but I didn't have two slices of the swiss. Great logic there with the fact that I gave in to two slices then she could argue it really meant two slices of each type. Yea ... I didn't give in to that thought process.

But the point is she is constantly finding an angle and negotiating at 2 1/2. I pity myself in a few years. But the article is very helpful in how I handle her negotiations.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM