Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    N
    Kerry, where in Colorado are you? I'm in Dolores. smile

Originally Posted by Kerry
    Most schools in the area have less than 1000 kids total in all grades, k-12. (there's only 120 kids in DD's k-6 school)
    But, yes there is a huge mismatch going on.
    Thanks - that's the info I was looking for. So - assuming that your average kid locally is close to 100 in IQ, which is a big assumption and could be wrong, you are saying that only about 2 in 500 kids are being identified, so thatis just under the top half a percent.

ok, so we are sayng that the majority of MG kids, the top 5%, or 3%, who could really benifit from a pull out class, or enrichment get nothing, and only the Highly Gifted or PG kids, who are really beyond 'enrichment with agemates' are being identified. These are the kids who really would be expected to benifit from gradeskips or subject accelerations. I'm not saying that enrichment with MG kids who are older wouldn't be wonderful also, but most school are looking for the cheapest way possible.

It does puzzle me that your school even has gifted coordinators, when they have so few identified kids. With such a small target group, they could practically individually design each child's curricula.

It doesn't actually suprise me that the idea of 'LOG' hasn't really penetrated your school. LOG is a pretty new idea and hasn't solidly taken hold beyond the parent-community. But it explains a lot of mysteries and frustrations. Trying to define 'Gifted' is like the fable about the blind folks describing the elephant. Each person's perspective really depends on the local situation. And local can be as small as 'oh we skipped a child once and he was miserable.'

In a way a small school can be a great place for a HG kid, as in the 'one room school house' when small can mean flexable. Your school might be a bit too big for that, though. Do the High Schools use distance learning to widen their offerings?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    We're in Lamar, at least for the moment. DH's job is changing so we're probably relocating.

OP Offline
    All schools here have GT Coordinators, although most do this on top of their teaching load. They have had them for quite some time as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure why either since they are not really being allowed to do their job by most admin.

Yes, the high school uses distance learning and dual credit with the local community college, but with a graduation rate of 57% in the last few years, there is little hope of much happening there for GT kids. In fact, most gts leave our district for a nearby one because there is less stigma attached to being smart there than there is here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM