Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I'm not critical, Suzanne, beyond the fact that I don't see how this link helps the OP with her problem. Are you suggesting religious homeschooling as a solution?

Kriston
    S
    S
    No, it is not just a homeschooling site. It is primarily a parenting site.

J
    J
    My son is very non-compliant at school. It's so bad that he's about to get kicked out of Pre-K. Like you our rules are very firm at our house. He knows what he is and isn't allowed to do. Unfortunately doing whatever it is that he wants outweighs the punishment later.

At home if I give him something challenging to do he will focus on it and sit somewhat still longer than normal so maybe it's like what everybody else has said. Maybe he's not being challenged enough and it's causing him to act like that.

My son's teacher told him that if he didn't behave he wouldn't be allowed to stay in Pre-K. He told her that that was fine because there wasn't anything that she was teaching that he didn't know. We don't tolerate sassy remarks like that at home but that might give you an example of what his school has to deal with. Sounds like your son might be a little of the same way.

Have they tried challenging him at all to see if it helps?

To a pre-K or K aged child, this:

Originally Posted by Jamie B's son
    He told her that that was fine because there wasn't anything that she was teaching that he didn't know.

isn't so much sassy as it is true...

Just a thought!

Kriston
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Kriston

He told her that that was fine because there wasn't anything that she was teaching that he didn't know.

Just a thought!
    Yes, it is true and they are so honest at that age. When she told me that in one of our many conferences I wanted to crawl under the table though!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    My son's teacher told him that if he didn't behave he wouldn't be allowed to stay in Pre-K. He told her that that was fine because there wasn't anything that she was teaching that he didn't know. We don't tolerate sassy remarks like that at home but that might give you an example of what his school has to deal with.

Was your son being sassy or was he being honest? Or both?

I teach my DSalmost5 to be mindful of his tone and his attitude. Like you, I am trying to raise a polite, respectful kid. There are times when my ds crosses the line into rudeness and I check him on that. There are other times when I can tell that in his mind, he is just stating the facts or giving his opinion.

Random example "I don't want to spend the day with X, I want to spend the day with Y". On the one hand, if X was in earshot that statement could hurt X's feelings. Depending on the tone and intent that could be a very hurtful statement. On the other hand, DS is being honest and clear about his preferences.

Not the best example, but hopefully you all see what I mean.

As parents, we teach them to monitor and adjust. For me, that doesn't change the validity of his orginal statement. He should be able to express his feelings about where he wants to go and who he wants to go with. I am the parent and I make the final decision, but I want my DS to feel comfortable in voicing his opinion (and know how to do it respectfully).

I can't imagine being a 5 year-old and (in the average traditional classroom) have very little say in what I get to learn.

E
    E

Just a thought!
    Yes, it is true and they are so honest at that age. When she told me that in one of our many conferences I wanted to crawl under the table though!

HAHA. I am late to the party. you and Kriston already covered it.

LOL! Great minds think alike! But don't you hate it when you take the time to write a well-thought, carefully written, comprehensive post on a subject, only to find that some wisenheimer stole your thunder with a one-liner?

grin

On the bright side, that happens to me a lot, too. Long posts are my downfall! ROFL!

Kriston
    K
    K
    LOL! Great minds think alike! But don't you hate it when you take the time to write a well-thought, carefully written, comprehensive post on a subject, only to find that some wisenheimer stole your thunder with a one-liner?

grin

On the bright side, that happens to me a lot, too. Long posts are my downfall! ROFL!

Mine too! Same thing just happened to me in this thread as well. Ah well ... what Kriston said. wink

E
    E
    My son is very non-compliant at school. It's so bad that he's about to get kicked out of Pre-K.

JamieB - What are you going to do if he is "asked to leave" preK?

I am curious because a) maybe your experience will help the OP and b) my son is going to K in the fall and I am dreading sending him there because I don't want him to change/act out when they start doing things he already knows. (we are looking into other options but public K is the back-up plan)

Thanks!

Also, Mom0405,

Keep us posted. We hope you find a way to turn things around for your son at school.

EW

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM