Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I always joke that if I had a dime for every time I told DS4 "Use your words," I could hire someone just to tell him to use his words! crazy

Sad, but probably just about right! I said it MANY times a day for many years! The scale thing worked much better for us. (Naturally YMMV...)

I guess I just think that if they knew how to use their words, they would, you know? The scale gives them another, very different way to think about the whole thing. That's why it worked for DS4, I think.

Plus it's numbers, and numbers always appeal to him lately... laugh

Kriston
    J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by kimck
    I definitely try to keep some protein in our 4 year old. She has much bigger mood swings if she is just eating carbs. Cheese, yogurt, nut butters, milk, nuts, sandwich meat, boiled eggs are all good easy proteins that work well for her. My 4 year old is very dramatic and emotional (chock full of OEs), so I feel your pain! The food thing does help a bit though!

We also encourage "using your words" and speaking without whining. I won't talk to her or help her until she can pull herself together enough to talk at least somewhat rationally. Sometimes that involves just saying "Come see me when you're ready to talk" and walking away.
    Oh I don't know if the tantrums or whining is worse smile I'm going to make sure that he's getting a lot of protein as well.

I'm so glad that I found this board. When I mentioned a change of diet to my friends for his problems they looked at me like I was crazy!

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by EastnWest
    Originally Posted by kimck
    I definitely try to keep some protein in our 4 year old. She has much bigger mood swings if she is just eating carbs. Cheese, yogurt, nut butters, milk, nuts, sandwich meat, boiled eggs are all good easy proteins that work well for her. My 4 year old is very dramatic and emotional (chock full of OEs), so I feel your pain! The food thing does help a bit though!

nice selection of proteins. we also add the SMASH fish. mostly sardine and salmon.

info on fatty acids, omegas, etc. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081230133338AAwrnXP
    http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/fats-intelligence.php
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041600.asp
    Thanks for the links. Going read them now.

J
    J
    I once knew a very bored elementary student who couldn't sit still, look like he daydreamed sometimes, doodled, and didn't even once glance at the teacher while she was instructing and he was able to get his work done as expected and properly. My guess is that he was highly auditory and had very good perception skills to where he didn't need visual input to "get it".

Is your son still following what is expected in class? Do you think he needs more challenge (not a new lesson but more complexity to his work)?

One way I extinguish whining is to pretend I don't understand a thing.... like he is speaking a strange foreign language. When my son uses his "talking voice", I pretend I clearly understand what he is saying now and very relieved.

How about a stress ball while in class?

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    He's way above where they are in class so he needs something way more challenging. One example is they're learning to recognize what each letter is and he's reading books probably around a 3rd grade level. I talked to his teacher and explained that he was bored and that was probably part of the problem but they won't work with him because he needs to behave just like all of the other kids. They just don't get it frown

B
    B
    thanks so much for your post - I have been SO concerned about my DS6 - he has Sensory disorder (but is not on the autistic/asperger scale) and is gifted and he started with his "rages" last year right before we pulled him out of his preschool. He was bored silly, was being picked on my other kids and was totally sensory overwhelmed and learned how to just "rage" to deal with everything he was feeling. We didn't realize it was so bad at school until it had gotten to the point it did and we yanked him. The outbursts have gotten less frequent,but they still occur a few times a week....when he has just reached his point of anything he just has these out of control, bananas rages were he yells and stomps and every once in a while takes a swing at whatever is closest to him ( a HUGE no-no in our books). I have learned that he has OE's and we have been searching and searching our area for a psych or counselor to help him and us to better understand how to deal with them. So I have been following this thread hoping to glean some information to help!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM