Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #44097 04/09/09 12:35 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This is just another example of his already underacheiving personality. I honestly don't want him to quit but his mind is made up. It's truly is sad since he seems to be a natural at the piano.

He began taking lessons in October with a wonderful teacher. Within 2 weeks he was reading music and playing short songs with chords. He is currrently on his 9th or 10th scale, reads music, can play some basic classical pieces. The teacher really keeps things interesting for him. His lessons seems fun. Usually they do scales, a duet song, a more complicated song, and review the 1-2 pages he completed in the workbook.

The biggest problem is that he HATES practicing lately. When he does practice he rushes through it. When he doesn't practice it really shows at his lessons and he gets upset and defensive. For the first few months DS6 didn't really need to practice every day but as he learns more and more he really does need at least 10-15 minutes a day to practice.

Any BTDT advice??

For those of you who haven't followed our story we are waiting out the end of a bad year in PS. DS6 no longer reads for pleasure, does advanced math or anything academic in his spare time. He HATES school and recently told me that he is no longer smart. Piano was the last thing that he seemed to still enjoy doing at an advanced level (well besides video games!! smile )

Crisc
    Oh, crisc! This makes me so sad. I'm really sorry! frown

Can you make a game out of it, maybe? Clearly he's a kid who needs to find the fun again. Could you ask him what might make it fun to do again?

Maybe you could make it about "leveling up," like a video game? With some nothing little reward (like a gold medal or a worthless point accumulation) for achievement in the game? I'm just thinking that following his interests might be your best hope.

I'll keep thinking...

Kriston
    S
    S
    hi crisc,
    I have seen DD interest wane recently in piano (specifically having to practice everyday). We (the teacher and I) are having her do piano exams and competitions in the hope that seeing a slightly more tangible end result (certificates, accolades) will enthuse her. So far it seems to be working, she has a goal and wants to attain it ..

hth

T
    T
    WOW Crisc our DS's could be a match, mine is also 6.
    Although my DS is also good at piano and reading music, I just don't think music is his thing. Heartbreaking for my DH who plays guitar. He also reads less and does less math and I believe video games are the culprit. They are sucking his brain and we need to do detox quick!

What if you asked him to compose a special piece? Something that is his very own to play. My DS doesn't like to play the songs in the book at all but loves to make up his own.

Make a whole production out of it. Record the music, have him write out the notes or ask his piano teacher to help. You can even go so far as to have his finished piece copyrighted. If his piano teacher gives recitals, you can ask that he be allowed to be identified as a composer and play his own piece. Worth a try!

Good Luck Crisc!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    W
    W
    DD4 is angry because she wants violin (they told her she needed a year of piano).

But I am finding that her abilities are so strong. (Another mother whose child is before her heard her practicing in the next room made comments)

And she said she wanted lessons -- I am continuing. If she wants something, I make sure she is consistent in her commitment, which is not easy.

First, the lessons really impact IQ. Secondly, her nature to be ADHD (not diagnosed, just behaviorily similar) it is great for her to be able to focus and do the lessons.

This is a tough decision. She is so young. But she shows ability. Now that we started, I want to contiue. I wish she was 6 or 7. Then it would be want I did, her father did.

But she started just after she turned 4, because they pushed it and we finally agreed. So we continue.

It is a better lesson to stick with something once you decided.

Ren

W
    W
    The practice is a bi**h. But I happen to see a video at the library, Marsalis and YoYo Mac talking about practice and everyone hates it.

But I make DD4 practice. I am very disciplined. This is something she needs as so much comes early and the practice sessions are hard. Also, the piano teacher gives all these pieces and expects me to teach her.

I do not want DD to become a musician but this is part of the left brain and she is visual spatial. If it works to do this, then I make the commitment.

Ren

Z
    Z
    We went through this last December with DS7. It got to the point where we actually entertained the idea of letting him quit. He's an amazing pianist and it saddened us so much that he wanted to give up playing.

I talked with his teacher and she started to incorporate more duets. She also asked him to bring along his recorder that he was learning in music class at school - they finished the recorder book from school in only a few lessons so she found recorder duets. She just tried new things to keep him interested.

We recently started cyber schooling and he *asks* if he can go ahead and practice early in the day, which blows me away! I really think when he was in PS he didn't get home until 4, had to do homework, eat dinner, practice...he didn't feel like he had any free time. Now that he's schooling at home, he seems to realize he has that extra time. I know how frustrating it can feel though. Hopefully you can hang in there and his interest will pick up again!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I do not want DD to become a musician but this is part of the left brain and she is visual spatial. If it works to do this, then I make the commitment.
    Ha ha, I thought I was the only one using piano as a form of therapy for my VSLs. A former piano teacher told me she thinks it requires the left and right brains to work together. I think there are aspects for each half of the brain.

Oddly enough, my one who is the least visual-spatial (or more balanced, with both right and left brain strengths, as far as I can tell) has the most trouble with piano - the fattest fingers with the least dexterity, the most trouble learning to read music, and with his underachieving/perfectionist tendencies thrown in, he really hates to practice because it requires him to turn on his brain. But I'm making him continue (even if I have to sometimes drag him kicking and screaming to the piano to practice) because I think it's good for (a) his brain development, (b) his motor development, and (c) his perfectionist tendency to avoid things that are hard for him. It's hard to know what he gets away with at school in terms of avoiding hard work (I know his teacher works on this) but I know that piano is real work for him. Plus he gets to see that he really *can* do it if he tries. Basically, in a manner of speaking, it being hard for him is the very reason I think he needs it.

I keep practice pretty short (not that I have to persuade him to stop lol). He likes to negotiate on the number of times he plays the piece. The shorter we keep practice, the easier it is to get him to do it on a daily basis. Sometimes that leads to him spending more than one week on the same piece. He'll never be a concert pianist, but that's fine by me. We're in no hurry. I'm hoping to keep this up for another couple of years at least, just for the therapeutic benefits for all three of my kids who are old enough to play (even though they each have different weaknesses, piano seems to be good for all those things). By then, the younger ones will start.

How about taking a break till the end of summer and reevaluating then? Or let him take a break but ask him to go back to piano in September?

DS4 and DS6 both started in September. It's quite obvious that DS6 isn't in it as much as he was. It's no longer as easy as it used to be and he doesn't get to fly through the songs like before. Fortunately practicing is not an issue and he does want to keep taking piano. Our music school offers lessons during the summer and both of the boys opted out. I am glad. DS6 needs a break and I need a break from practicing with DS4.

I hope your son will come back to piano if not now then may be a year or two from now.

LMom
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM