Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Hopefully you will be able to use the perfectionism as a kind of meter to see if she is getting her needs met. Hopefully you will see a gradual de-intensification of the perfectionist behavior as she "builds character."

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ive noticed a slight improvement with the perfectionism that she has. In first grade dd would be so upset and frustrated if she missed one problem on a test. She didn't like it if anyone scored higher than her either. Her teacher and I tried to stress to her that not knowing an answer or getting an answer wrong is ok, its how we learn. It took some time but she started to relax a bit and not be so hard on herself.

Now she's in 2nd grade and Im noticing that while she's still very focused on getting 100% on her work she is not nearly as hard on herself when she doesn't.

CFK-

I don't think you need to belong to a formal group, but I do think you need to find a way for your child to interact with others regularly. When I started homeschooling, my "support group" was a small handful of families that got together a few times a week. That worked out fine for us for a while, but when we found our current group (which covers a large fairly rural area and has close to 200 families on the mailing list) I was thrilled.

I think my son sees more gifted friends through homeschooling than he would in a traditional public school; at least in our small town. He's free to hang out with kids both older and younger, and from different towns, so the "fishing" is pretty good although the pool of kids exactly his age is significantly smaller than it would be in a public school class. So he has his social needs met pretty well, for now. I'm not sure how things will go in the next few years. Our homeschool group has a teen group that has been very active over the last few years, and DS is just old enough to take part. He's doing teen Shakespeare class and teen book club, though he hasn't yet been motivated to do the more strictly social activities such as movie night or mini-golf. His buddy is trying to talk him into attending the prom next Spring, but DS is not into it.

We're trying to make decisions based on what is working or not at this time, and right now everything is going great. I'm trying not to borrow trouble! smile

take care-

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM