Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    shaangi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you all immensely.
    This forum never disappoints!
    warm regards.

here's a third approach: tell the teacher that when kids dont get enough chances to learn at the difficult end of their readiness level, then they often start feeling atrange and perfectioism becomes a problem. Suggest that she try to solve the boys problem by providing challenging enough work. This might have the nice side effect of you dd getting more work at her readiness level too,yes? good luck grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    G
    G
    You know, I wonder if the school culture doesn't have something to do with it. My DS6 has been raised to be non-competitive but this past year at public, he's become very interested in the idea of being the best and ahead of everyone else. His focus has turned from enjoying the process of learning to beating others. I think someone at school is reinforcing him positively using words such as "you won" "you're the best at that". It's really sad. I think changing the school culture is beyond the scope of my duties as a parent, though, so I'm in the process of pulling him out.

Last edited by giftedticcyhyper; 04/13/09 02:37 PM.
    I think that's a good point, GTH. When DS7 wasn't challenged sufficiently, I saw him (then 5-6yo) bragging and ranking classmates from smartest and down at school with other kids in the class.

Some of that ranking stuff is just natural for the age, an outgrowth of the categorization that they do at that age, I think. So I suspect it might go beyond school culture, even. Though I think you're right that culture often supports and rewards it. It sure sounds like the teacher isn't doing anything to stop it...

But IMHO, more challenge tends to cut back on the "I'm the best" stuff. DS7 doesn't do a lot of ranking of the kids in his math class anymore, except as a way of saying to ME that he fits in well with the other kids, who are 2-5 years older than he is. If he misses one or two and considers himself in the top three in the class, I'm quite pleased with that fit and kind of glad to hear about how he rates himself! It's helpful, not bragging to other kids.

FWIW...

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM