Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #43968 04/08/09 01:46 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Ah, so it comes out! She told me, on Monday, that she had to wait until she was 5 to read. I asked her why. I reminded her that she already *could* read and had just the previous day been reading a book in one of her favorite series. It was like she had a mini panic attack; I don't know how else to describe it. She shut down.

Finally, she told me that the kids in her preschool had told her that she she was weird for being able to read and even weirder for liking to read. She said they stuck their tongues out at her and refused to play with her. I asked her what the teachers did, she said the teachers told the other kids to stop, but then they just got madder because she tattled. She said, "Even Grandma doesn't think I should read! She told me; I remember!" She hasn't been in preschool for over a year now and her grandmother's comment was from about three years ago!

I spoke with her dad/my husband about it and he blew it off and said, "It's not uncommon for kids to table something that they are comfortable with to work on something else." I agree kids do that all the time, heck even adults do it depending on the tasks/skills, etc. involved, but that's not the issue here. The problem is that she is admitting to feeling like she cannot be herself and as a result is actively hiding her abilities.

She's making herself feel sick because she says she feels so nervous sometimes. She wants to be herself, but goes along even if she doesn't like something (unenjoyable for her or feels "wrong" in a moral sense) because she "[doesn't] want there to be something wrong with [her] like other people say there is".

She feels that if she waits until she's 5 to read that people will be more accepting of her, but that it's hard because she really wants to read and do the other things that she enjoys. She says it makes her feel bad -"sick sometimes"; it's wrong to lie. That's what she told me "It's wrong to lie", but she feels like she has to lie about herself.

I'm so scared for her! She has locked onto the idea turning 5 will be magical in that people will suddenly be accepting of all the things she can do. I truly, most emphatically hope that is the case! But what if it isn't? What will happen if she reaches that threshold and crosses it and people are just as cruel as ever? What will it do to her?

I'm worried sick. I don't know what to do. This sucks. I HATE IT!

cry mad sick cry mad sick cry mad sick cry

Last edited by mizzoumommy; 04/08/09 01:52 AM.
    It does suck. frown

Sounds like you know she needs to work with you or someone else on what turning 5 will mean. Kids/adults can be cruel. Working on a few responses might help. Could you arrange for more exposure to people who get her/gt kids?...

C
    C
    Gah. Have you talked to the preschool staff about this? I think if they're worth their salt they'll be able to deal with this, e.g. by talking explicitly to the children about how different people are ready to do different things at different ages and that's OK! It's more than just "don't be rude to your friend" at stake, it's acceptance of individual difference.

This was never an issue at C's preschool - I remember other kids commenting on C being able to read, but never in a nasty way. When he started school, one of the things his teacher did in the early days was to ask all the children what they thought would be good about learning to read, and they all (with help!) completed a sentence about it. Colin's was "because when you want a story but nobody wants to read it to you, you can read it yourself"!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    C
    C
    This is nearly exactly the same story that happened to my DS. He started reading just after he turned 4. Someone popped off at school and asked him if he was memorizing books because 4 year olds can't read. He totally internalized that and literally refused to read until his 5th birthday. Then he just exploded with reading. We had tried to talk to him, encourage him, beg and bribe him but nothing worked. He would say "I can't read until I'm 5" over and over.

He also has had some anxiety issues. We had to bandaid his fingers after he had dug into his nails so badly, they were bleeding in the middle of the nail. Mostly, we just try to talk to him that everyone is different and point out that some of his friends are much better at running/hitting/biking etc and he just happens to be really good at math and reading. We say that everyone has a "thing" and this is his "thing". It seems to have helped him not compare himself to others as much and he's slowly learning not to internalize others' nasty comments. I tell him "they're just jealous because they don't know what their thing is!"

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    It does suck. frown

Sounds like you know she needs to work with you or someone else on what turning 5 will mean. Kids/adults can be cruel. Working on a few responses might help. Could you arrange for more exposure to people who get her/gt kids?...

Unfortunately, we don't know many people who really understand her. We do have friends who see her as a fun kid and have no expectations of what kids are "supposed" to be like - they don't have any kids of their own, yet. But we don't see them very often. It would be nice if we did, because they don't know that playing board games like scrabble with (nearly) 5 year old and having her be able to hold her own without assistance (and help her younger brother) is *odd.

But there aren't many other people or people with kids her age that "get" her. There is one other family where I am pretty sure the mom has an idea re: Boo's abilities, but I am not sure how much. Not that she has to know how advanced Boo is, exactly. I'm just always a bit worried in the back of my mind about accidently crossing some invisible line. Kwim? The mom has a child that both my kids are friends with and the three of them get along wonderfully. Still the boys are thick as theives and Boo has expressed feeling left out a bit, at times. Not that I think she has to be "in" at all times, but she wants someone to memorize lines in a book to adapt into a play, for example, and the "boy stuff" (as she puts it) is fun but not quite what she's pining for. It may just be a gender thing; I don't really know.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Gah. Have you talked to the preschool staff about this? I think if they're worth their salt they'll be able to deal with this, e.g. by talking explicitly to the children about how different people are ready to do different things at different ages and that's OK! It's more than just "don't be rude to your friend" at stake, it's acceptance of individual difference.

We only just found out about what the other kids said re: her reading, etc. very recently, and we pulled her out of preschool after the parent-teacher conference where the teacher tried to convince us that she'd "just have to learn to be bored". I agree that "acceptance of individual difference" is at stake; had I known that it had happened when it did, I would have addressed it. Now, it's all about helping her move forward, since clearly she is still bothered by the incidents. I say, "incidents" plural because she indicated that it happened on several occassions.

I wish the school would have contacted me. I don't know if it's typical for a school or teacher to *not* say something about it or write me note. And if they didn't know it was occurring, which is possible given that they didn't know that my daughter was allowing kids to bully her into pouring sand onto her hair ("They said they wouldn't play with me, unless I let them do stuff to me") to gain acceptance. There were other similar things, but usually only happened once or twice and then another *tactic was used. I had to bring it to the school's attention, the response was always, "we had no idea". I find that surprising, since there were 4 teachers in her class and about 5 students to teacher - less when you count the student teachers and volunteers, etc. that were there almost daily.

"Gah" is spot on in this case. It's a very highly rated preschool, too. So I was quite surprised and more than a little disappointed.

R
    R
    My son was/is advanced - advanced intellectuually (not reading, but in understanding and grasp of things - Shakespeare, Einstein and things like that). We had the whole thing with bullying by pupils AND STAFF, and we waited far too long. We finally took him out of the school at age 9 (he has 2 more years before high school)
    The school had no intention of helping him, he was just a bother, and besides there were loads of other kids to be attended to. Do not let this happen to your little one! If the school can't cater for them, their uniqueness, then it is not a place to put your precious child. Take them out NOW.

We have had to put our son in a private school, and it costs an arm and a leg, and it is against all my principles but at last he is making progress, he is catered for and we have, at last, some peace in our lives.

Oh, that sounds just awful!!!

Less negative exposure is a good thing, too. I know it can take a while to help kids find a fit but that bullying is just completely unacceptable, good decision on switching gears for your girl! smile smile
    Hopefully the pull out will show her that behavior/bullying is not something to put up with. (not to say she should be expected to stand up so young, but I hope it helps her feel better about her feelings, what is right vs. 'normal', etc)

Last edited by chris1234; 04/10/09 12:48 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by mizzoumommy
    We only just found out about what the other kids said re: her reading, etc. very recently, and we pulled her out of preschool after the parent-teacher conference where the teacher tried to convince us that she'd "just have to learn to be bored".
    Sorry, I see I misread. To validate what you said: no, I do not think it's normal that the preschool wasn't talking to you about it and dealing with it themselves, and I'm gobsmacked at "she'll just have to learn to be bored" re a preschooler! Sounds as though she's well out of there.

I wonder, is there something she would enjoy that would have her be around other kids and have her difference not be an issue? Not need to be hidden, just not come up? Swimming lessons? Playground meet-ups? I know, our kids tend to stand out at least to adult ears because of the way they talk, but at least if the environment were not facilitating intellectual comparison or evaluation, that might be a relatively easy way to get her experiences of being accepted for who she is? One thing I've been noticing the last couple of weeks is how much my DS5 has enjoyed his holiday "multi-sports week". Admittedly he's been reading a book instead of watching cartoons ("they're too scary") and setting the staff chemistry challenges, but by and large it's been a good normality experience for him, I think! It helped that it was very mixed-age, too, so no two of the kids there are all that similar.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We pulled her out. She was only there for a little less than two semesters. Now, we homeschool.

R
    R
    master of none -
    You are so right. Hopefully by dealing with it early you may have prevented the confidence and self esteem problems our boy has now. If only we'd acted sooner

F
    F
    Hi,
    This sounds very similar to our experience. My DS7 has been called a science geek and has been picked on for being different (advanced) by kids at school. The guidance couselor blames it on my son. He should try to be more like the other kids. The GC was concerned bc he plays alone by choice at recess. He does not like the rough games the other boys play. Out of sheer frustration with the GC I told my son to just play with someone during recess. So that day my son gets off the bus and states he played "kill the cops" with another boy. He felt awful and I freaked out! I will never ever ask my son to just conform again.
    After numerous issues and communication and meetings with our public school we decided to enroll our son in a Friends school next year. We can't afford it but we have to make the sacrifice. I'm going to work a second job if I must. My son's self-esteem has been damaged by the ps and I refuse to accept the mentality that he should just accept being bored. And I hate the herd mentality. The Friends School approach celebrates individuality. I'm very hopeful that my son will fit in there. If he doesn't then we'll try homeschooling.
    Outside of school my son has many friends and he gets along well with them all. I am very selective - meaning I won't let him play with just anyone. I don't want him playing with mean, disrespectful children. That said he has only one same age friend that is gifted. What a joy when the boys can get together. My son is not frustrated bc this friend understands everything he says. This friend actually responds when my son starts talking about science. My son's other friends (all super kids) just stare at him with a blank look. I try to keep my son focused on play when he's with his other friends and for the most part he's fine with that. He does miss his gifted friend though. This friend does not live nearby so we only see him once a month. I have to say when these two boys are together it's like watching the Science channel. :-) My son doesn't seem so "weird" when he's with his gifted friend.

K
    K
    Good luck with your Friends school. Our local friends school is just lovely and it is about the only private school in the area we would consider (we are now homeschooling after 2 years of PS). Let us know how you like it!

F
    F
    Kimck - We don't have many good private choices in our area either. I do know that on average 38% of students (5th graders?) at this Friends school score high enough on the ERB to be considered for the John Hopkins gifted summer program. And my neighbor's kids both gifted (one profoundly) did very well there. She also had problems with ps and the kids there calling her son weird.
    On our children being called weird - don't ya just wanna say - "don't worry son someday he'll work for you". OR "she'll wish she could find someone like you to marry her". Ah, but we must restrain ourselves. ;-)

B
    B
    Oh mizzoumommy, we had something very similar happen to our DS who was 4 at the time. He was in a Montessori preschool and was already reading and doing math at an advanced level. He kept begging his Montessori teacher to give him lessons on the bead chains and other higher math skill lessons. She kept telling him that he couldn't do that stuff until he turned 5 (when I asked her why privately she said she was afraid of running out of curriculum for him for next year when he would be there for Kindergarten because he went through lessons so fast). He had never ever been told he couldn't learn something especially because he "wasn't old enough" so for almost 6 months all we heard from him was that he wished he was 5 year old smart so he could finally get some interesting lessons. This whole thing seemed to take away his innocence and he began to immediately see ages on everything - board games he liked, levels on books and he grew concerned that he wasn't supposed to be doing any of that stuff because he wasn't the right age. It was a real bummer and it was really stressing him out that he was so different. When he finally did turn 5, right on his birthday, he stormed up to his teacher and said that he was now 5 so could she please give him the lessons he asked about...he was crushed by the end of the day because she didn't give him a single lesson. Needless to say, he no longer goes to school there...but it took us a good several months of homeschooling to get him to understand that it is okay to be doing things higher than his other friends.

F
    F
    Wow - had a similar issue with our Montessori pre-school. DS7 was 3 & doing easy reading. His teacher would not let him read the books the older kids in class, who were in kindergarten, were reading. This turned into a daily power struggle between them wlth my son misbehaving every time she tried to force a phonics workbook on him. She insisted he must follow the curriculum, regardless of proficiency, or there would be nothing left for him to do. How very Montessori is that? In hindsight I should have pulled him out of there right away. My son also gave up on reading until he started kindergarten.

A
    A
    If only more children like those who tease your kids grew out of it. One of the reasons Bush managed to get elected twice was that Gore and Kerry came across as "eggheads".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM