Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Dottie #38010 02/13/09 01:53 PM
    I just signed up DS6 to take the SCAT in a week, so please keep that booklet out, Dottie! laugh

Dottie #39142 02/24/09 05:12 PM
    S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Oh yes, I received the booklet with DS8's results through the mail yesterday. smile It has all the info Dottie mentioned above... on the frequency, SD and mean. The table I have is between Sep 2007 - Mar 2008. I wonder if the number of kids taking the test each year is about the same?

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Oh nothing magical...I was just referring to the little canned blurbs that CTY uses in the report booklet you should have gotten with your scores. They describe somewhat generic solutions for kids scoring at the 50th percentile, the 75th and the 90th. The really "radical" sounding options are reserved for the 90th.

I was looking out for the options esp. for the >90th but was kind of disappointed with the recommendations as they seemed nothing new ? - working with older students in a particular subj, fast-paced individulised instruction etc. (but I would assume that it is the same booklet that is being given to all).

U are right abt the feeling when receiving the scores Dottie. I wonder too why I paid the money to see these results on paper. LOL! I better put them into good use!

BTW, DS8 tested for the grade 3 level with 458 for Verbal and 477 for Math. grin

E
    E
    Hi, Dottie,

I got a question and wondering if you may help.

My kid is in 5th grade and just got SCAT result from mail as 99%ile on math and 88%ile on verbal of SCAT Test respectively. Percentile is based on ninth grade norms. Can you tell what his raw scores of math and verbal are? More importantly what are scaled scores correspondingly?

Thanks a lot,

Last edited by ellicott; 04/07/09 07:49 PM.
    E
    E
    Thanks Dottie,

The Test was taken on 2/11/2009 at school. The test is used for finding GT students of 6th grade of middle schools in incoming August. The testing notification only tells percentile and said percentile based on ninth grade norms.

What does norms for 6th Spring to 9th Fall means? Because I don't know much about the SCAT, I guess Form 3 maybe the one. Can you take a guess on scaled scores?

Thanks,

Last edited by ellicott; 04/08/09 07:02 AM.
    E
    E
    I will take following:
    section raw score | scaled score
    math 46 500
    verbal 40 465

and believe these scores are VERY accurate!

Once the Spring Break is over next Tuesday, I will get raw scores from school. And probably what norm is used for the test.

I really appreciate all of your helps.

Last edited by ellicott; 04/08/09 08:37 AM.
    E
    E

Hi Dottie,

I notice that it is very difficult for a 5th grader to answer all questions correctly in Verbal part of the test because even 9th grade curriculum in public high school may only cover a small part of vocabulary on the test.

Do you happen to know who is authority for designing and issuing of SCAT Test, Educational Testing Service (www.ets.org)? I know the CTY is marketing SCAT. The website of ETS or CTY doesn't have description of underlying design principle of SCAT.

E
    E
    Hi Dottie,

6 days ago you help me to "guess" scaled scores of SCAT. Yesterday I got information from school. Here is the update. It is SCAT - Advanced Level Form Y. Based on their raw score to percentile conversion in Form Y, 99%ile in math will be 44 to 50 on raw score. As you said it is a ceiling score so you can not tell what the exact raw score it is. 88%ile in verbal will be 36 raw score.

Is Advanced Level Form Y the Form 3 or Form 2 as you mention last time? It seems it close to Form 2, but I maybe wrong.

Thanks again for all of helps.

elh0706 #71584 03/16/10 06:30 AM
    H
    H
    I found a SCAT math practice site. It may be helpful.
    http://120perhour.com/scat-sample-test-index.htm

Helenjhq #71625 03/16/10 01:27 PM
    F
    F

RE: 120perhour
    Author of this practice has not seen any of the tests. But author has the SCAT sample mini test from Johns Hopkins University CTY.
    Seems to me, the actual mini test would be just as good, if not better, and not to mention free.
    http://cty.jhu.edu/ts/scat.html

Floridama #71628 03/16/10 02:16 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Floridama
    Seems to me, the actual mini test would be just as good, if not better, and not to mention free.
    http://cty.jhu.edu/ts/scat.html
    But then the proprietress of the website that was "found with google" wouldn't be able to make her $120 per hour. (At least the recent purveyors of quality imitation shoes & jewelry were a little more genuine in their approach.)

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM