Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    I'm in NM. I know several h/s kids and it's just like anything else. Good teachers are the key. Some parents are not committed, some are. Just like the PS!
    When you have a child that requires elementary school for some subjects, middle school for others and high school for still another it becomes impossible to keep them in PS. Even the district agrees, it's just not feasible.

Maybe you are speaking of ND kids that you know, but I still don't buy it. Give us cold, hard published facts please, not rhetoric.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    K
    K
    Thank you Shari. Don't stereotype a population you don't even know. My own son was on a very bad path in public school and as a parent I took action and am now homeschooling. He honestly gets more positive social interaction now than he ever did at school. I agree, there are bad homeschoolers out there. But I've seen plenty of public school kids fail academically and socially at college. That is not a problem purely related to homeschooling by any means. I don't think that is an issue on this board at all from what I can see.

E
    E
    Good luck! I really wish we could go to homeschooling. Instead I'm filing due process soon.... For many of the same reasons you are going to homeschooling.

Originally Posted by NMMOMTECH
    Your studies and research you have are not of children from NM, TX, CA or AZ. These are the states I work with on run ways and "lost children"

How distressing! You mentioned in your other post that you work with gifted kids in high school and middle school. I'm wondering what proportion of those children seemed to be 'well challenged by school and enjoying themselves.'

Please keep in mind that the majority of families who post here, are the facing the most extreme needs. I'm glad that Montessori schools, for example, have worked well in your situation, but keep in mind that the kids here have very individual needs, and although many have enjoyed the Montessori program, many have been through very difficult experiences in that type of program. In fact, what is really needed for the families here, is flexibility. There isn't any 'one size fits all' combination for kids at this level of 'deviation from the norm.'

One thing that I value about this forum is that there is a deep understanding and respect for families who have walked all the various possible paths, trying to figure out what is best for our children. Sadly, most of the folks here don't have the luxury of following 'what works for most kids.' So, even if 74% of missing children in your states were homeschooled, the general situation for homeschoolers in general, and those statistics have very little to do with the reality of our children's lives. ((BTW - in some locations, a child who is having a lot of trouble may be classified as 'homeschooled' once they refuse to go to school, so my hunch is that the homeschooling may be a result of the difficulties, not the cause, but that's neither here nor there. Like so many Gifties - I couldn't resist!))

BTW It's normal for Gifties to want to argue and warn - my DS got in trouble for 'antisocially' yelling at his agemate in kindergarden because the friend was chewing on the computer's cord, and my DS was afraid for him. So if you want to start a seperate topic called 'Dangers of homeschooling' then go ahead and use the General Discussion area (or another Forum all together - Gifties tend to worry about everything, so that may be the kind thing.)

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    The paper is being written as you speak. It has been a work in progress for a five year span. You don't have to "buy it". I'm talking college level students. There are many studies out there, most are for doctors and different types of social workers.

N
    N
    You children must attend the Moriarty School district. Most of Moriarty's Gifted students are the one's are I started the study with. Followed one all the way to Yale. ( He was home schooled)He left 2nd year. I'm a mom of "many". I'm didn't tell them not to home school I just said be careful. I am a very big child advocate for children in New Mexico. Trust me Santa Fe runs when they see me. Funny I didn't see many "Gifted" parents fighting the Funding bill(well except for me) that took Gifted out the formula. And yes I won and Gifted is still in the formula. Homeschooling is great. And when my paper is published I will get the "COLD HARD FACTS". I left Moriarty for that reason. It's every parents right to do what ever they want. Me the only war I have is under educated "Gifted" students.

N
    N
    By the way I help parents in New Mexico find the right schools for their children. I have over 350 students this year that I helped place in to different schools or environments to meet their needs. I have 250 more to work with, I am but one person, who is a parent as well.

C
    C
    Me thinks I smell a troll....

Me too, I was just about to post "Please don't feed the Trolls!"

At least people who were concerned about homeschooling and social interaction got to read about the real studies and all the real and useful comments posted from the regulars. It might have been a useful discussion after all wink

LMom
    Q
    Q
    No, I don't think this person is a troll. She is not talking about the same sample represented here, and she's entitled to her opinion - and to respect everyone else's opinion as well. Not worth getting mad about a difference of opinion.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM