Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by giftedticcyhyper
    You could try fish oil and see what happens. It's pretty inert stuff and it truly is a magic pill for attention issues, hyperactivity, the works. You might have to play with the dosage, though.

I take flaxseed oil, and it helps TREMENDOUSLY... I can't bring myself to take fish oil, even the kind they say isn't "fishy". It's probably why I have issues with ADD... not enough fish in my diet. wink

Originally Posted by JJsMom
    Originally Posted by giftedticcyhyper
    You could try fish oil and see what happens. It's pretty inert stuff and it truly is a magic pill for attention issues, hyperactivity, the works. You might have to play with the dosage, though.

I take flaxseed oil, and it helps TREMENDOUSLY... I can't bring myself to take fish oil, even the kind they say isn't "fishy". It's probably why I have issues with ADD... not enough fish in my diet. wink

My dad hates fish, so he freezes the fish oil capsules. He said it ensures no fish taste (or even fish belches, which I have experienced before when taking fish oil capsules, and it's not nice!).

You might give the freezing a try. The fish oil really is supposed to be better than the flax from what I've read.

Kriston
    K
    keet Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I think there's a possibility of ADHD, but I really fear a mis-diagnosis. In reading about the criteria, he seems to be more impulsive, a little inattentive, and not very hyperactive.

The behavior chart his teacher put into place really seems to be helping. It's only been a week or so, but she says she's seeing an improvement.

I
    I
    You are not bad parents. You sound like you have a gifted possibly ADHD kid.

For social skills - here are some things that were reecommended to us:
    Drama class- if they have memories good enough to memorize their lines, drama might be a great way to get them to acknolwedge their turn, someone else turn and social queues. However, it remains to be seen if they can remain on stage long enough to partake.

Dance/Exercises to help strengthen sides of his brain that may be weaker. Does he have any other issues that could be neurological?

Try giving him coffee and or sugar free Mountain Dew/Dr. Pepper -does it calm him down? Good chance he has ADHD if stimulants calm him down - and you can figure that out before you go to a doctor of a real diagnosis and real drugs.

Also - see my other post under "learning disorders" on the Future of ADHD treatment for non-drug altenratives.

Nearly all the adults I've spoken to that had ADHD when younger have grown out of it. I still think Maturity is a HUGE part of the issue.

Also - I have started to explain to DS6 that "being truly brainy/clever/intelligent" also means knowing HOW to behave the right way for certain people. So now he's thinking a little bit more "craftily" regarding his beheavior in school. He takes pride in being "brainy" - so see what your child takes pride in and try and twist it to help him see his behavior in a new way.

I
    I
    OH yes- and of course the teacher and classroom amnagement are a HUGE part of it - but as you siad he is in with other gifted kids - I would HOPE his teacher knows what to look for when it comes to comparisons between gifted and ADHD kids and symptoms. You can see them listed at About.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM