Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    T
    Interesting Mia, I never thought to use graph paper but that is a good idea. My DS6 too when doing double digit mult (we haven't done long div yet) has a hard time keeping the numbers in line too! I am going to try the graph paper myself at home.
    Math is a waste this year for my DS at school so I have to do the math myself at home. Wish I had more time, story of everybody's life right!
    Great idea graph paper. If it works for our DS's then why not ask the teacher to use it w/them! Why not.

Last edited by traceyqns; 04/01/09 07:28 AM.
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, all, thank you! I'm so proud of him, and so happy that he's gotten the opportunity to grow this year. If he'd stayed at his public school, he'd be doing a bunch of double digit addition, no doubt, which he's been doing in his head for three years! Poor kid, I'd've smacked someone too. blush

Jojo -- we do have one of the Murderous Maths books -- "The Phantom X". Ds thought it was a riot, but I think it's just a bit above him still! I like the multiplication trick, I've never heard that one; ds is to the point where he needs to know his facts automatically, but that's a great one. I'll remember it -- thanks! I'll look into that book too, sounds right up his alley.

Originally Posted by incogneato
    You rock!

I don't know about that! I still feel like the lazy parent for not sticking with the advocacy. Who knows -- maybe in first grade the attitude of the teachers and principals would have suddenly blossomed into deep understanding of the needs of PG kids. (Hee hee!) I feel like I took the easy way out by moving him to private! And now we have to wait for financial aid decisions, which is a giant nail-biter ... there's no way he's staying there without a hefty helping of financial aid, which is nerve-wracking.

Tracey -- I think I heard the graph paper tip on this board! grin I thought it was brilliant. I just googled "graph paper print out" and I got a whole bunch of options -- I think I went with the 1/2 inch size to give him room to write. And Grinity -- *great* idea with the notebook paper! I may have him graduate to that once he's got some concept of sizing.

smile I'm happy for my kid!

Mia
    Good luck on the financial aid package! I'm happy for your kid, too!!!

Originally Posted by Mia
    I still feel like the lazy parent for not sticking with the advocacy. Who knows -- maybe in first grade the attitude of the teachers and principals would have suddenly blossomed into deep understanding of the needs of PG kids. (Hee hee!) I feel like I took the easy way out by moving him to private! And now we have to wait for financial aid decisions, which is a giant nail-biter ... there's no way he's staying there without a hefty helping of financial aid, which is nerve-wracking.

I hear you. I have the same self-doubt and feelings of wimping out.

But is your solution working? Yes it is! laugh Ours is, too!

If so, then I think you and I both have to let go of the "What if." Who cares if another path *might* have worked? Given what you saw at the time, the path you were on was NOT working, and you made the best call you could given what you knew. I saw you making it, and I know that you thought it through, didn't take the decision lightly, etc. We did the same thing.

Actually, I suspect that our torturing ourselves with what might have been is another form of mourning for what was never to be--the public education we had envisioned for our kids, but never got for them.

So this is a long way of saying that "you done good," and that I think you shouldn't second-guess yourself. wink

Kriston
    I'm happy for your kid too!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    H
    H
    hooray for you and your son Mia!!!! My son likes the graph paper too. That was all we used in Europe.

Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Kriston, I knew I liked you for a reason. grin

Mia
    And here I thought it was because of my sparkling wit and charming personality! No?

:p laugh

Kriston
    I too have that self-doubt...maybe I should have fought harder...maybe 3rd grade really is more challenging...you make the best decision you can w/ the information you have at the moment....that's all we can do.

Dazey (and most days, still Confuzed)

M
    M
    It's great to hear good news, Mia! Well done! I'm happy for your family.

peace
    minnie

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM