Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #43414 03/31/09 08:39 PM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This is a little bit of a brag thread. smile But a good news, bad school situation/good school situation, resisting-learning-turnaround story!

Most of you know my ds6's backstory, but for newcomers ...

Ds6 started public K last year reading well, doing second-grade math or so. No accommodations were being made. When ds started getting in trouble for talking, not paying attention and defiance at school, we had ds-then-5 tested, with 99.9s across the board. School refused to recognize a need for acceleration beyond very basic differentiation, and tried to stave us off with promises of a better first grade year and more appropriate leveling at that point.

Ds-then-5's attitude worsened; by February he was hauling off and smacking other kids, he's stopped reading chapter books and reverted to Spot Lift-the-Flap books almost exclusively. School *still* refused to do anything. We started looking at private gifted schools and were blessed to get a spot at a local one that does inter-grade grouping for math and language arts. Ds6 started in first grade, with subject acceleration to third grade.

So! The good part!

Last year, ds was resisting learning anything new, or doing anything that required much effort at all. If he couldn't do it on the first shot, it wasn't worth doing, period. Fast-forward to today ... when I realized he'd had a real turnaround.

We've been working on spelling lately. Ds had been getting 8 of 10 regularly, and we bribed him into studying harder blush because the words weren't *hard* for him, they just required a few times of review. So right at his learning point. After several 10s of 10, he seems more convinced.

He got a math test back yesterday that got a 28/40 -- they're doing long division and multi-digit multiplication. On reviewing the test with him, as I promised to teach him long division, I saw that a full 8 of the questions were wrong in only one digit -- on two others he'd had the right answer and erased it! We've been working on long division at home with graph paper, and I'm really proud of him. He's sticking with it even though he wasn't getting the right answer all the time. (BTW, the graph paper helped enormously -- I highly recommend it).

Another instance: Ds6 hates writing, and according to his LA teacher, isn't progessing as she'd hoped. I've been pointing out little writing tips to him as he works, and we've been doing little writing exercises, and he's really working at it! He thinks before he writes a letter; I can *see* the wheels turning in his brain as he remembers the "right" way to do it. And once again, he's sticking with it! Ahh ... I love it.

So -- a success story of appropriate placement! The difference that challenge at school has made for him has been amazing. He was totally done with school, wasn't interested in learning or trying in kindergarten, and it showed at home. The little guy I was seeing today is a very different kid -- he was *excited* to work on his long division today! Yay!

smile

Also, a quick question -- do you think it's ok to ask his math teacher if he can use graph paper to do his scratch work? It helps him enormously to have those guidelines while doing stuff like long division and multiplication -- his writing is just not up to keeping all those numbers in line. Thoughts?

Mia
    Good for you! It's always exciting to hear "happy endings".
    As for the graph paper, I think it is absolutely ok to ask the math teacher. (As a math teacher, I can tell you I would not have thought of that as a helpful tactic, and it will probably help more than just your son as well.)

Go Mia!
    That's a great story - so glad you posted it.
    I think that asking if he would be allowed to use graph paper is totally reasonable - I'm reccomending that you provide it.

The other trick is to use normal notebook paper and turn it sideways so that everything lines up.

I know some kids can work at their intellectual level without a drop of accomidaitions, but I don't believe that thats nescessary, particularly if the child just 'isn't there yet' physically. Nice if one can pull it off, but definitly not a requirement. Ask yourself, if your child was MR, but could learn long division with graph paper, and not without - would you ask that child to be allowed to use it?

Love and more love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    That is great, Mia! Thanks for posting!

I'd ask the teacher to let him use the paper, why not?

You did a great job getting him to an appropriate learning situation and I know it wasn't easy.

You rock!

Neato

J
    J
    Hey Mia - graph paper sounds completely OK to me. Well done on your turn-around story. What great progress! Have you tried the murderous maths series? We're reading one at the moment called Arithmetrics. It's got some really, super cool maths tricks presented in stories, cartoons, jokes, etc. that have really helped Miss 7. For multiplication, she loved the one where - if she gets stuck on 4 x 7 for example, you draw 4 lines horizontally and then 7 lines vertically and you add up all the spots where the lines intersect/cross. And this gives you the answer. The teacher let her show this to the class during maths yesterday and she was so excited!!!

jojo

S
    S
    Definiately ask for the graph paper......I am surprised it is not in standard use over there for math. Grade 3 to 7 here in Australia, only graph books are used for math!

Steph

I
    I
    Mia,

Congratulations!

As a parent, I think it would be a great feeling ... to see your child being challenged just the right amount. And see them thriving (not just surviving) at school.

In fact, I think it's probably one of the deepest wishes of many parents on this board smile

Sending you good vibes for continued growth and happiness.

Irish Eyes

Oh, yay! Big yay! laugh

Kriston
    I agree with Kriston... Big Yay!!! It's always nice when something goes right!! Gives everyone else hope!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    I
    I
    Yay. You made my heart happy. Glad the new school worked out. Sounds like he was having similar but worse scenario to DS6 in K!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM