Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #4332 11/12/07 12:33 PM
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I received a phone call today from a HS that I had hoped Ghost might be taking Physics and Pre-Calc next year. A big NO, even though at first they sounded very encouraging. No partial enrollment, not even auditing classes is allowed. mad
    In the meantime, my son has taken things into his own hands - he negotiated with his math teacher and for the past week he has been self -studying ALG 2 during math. Class was going so slowly this year , that he was just loosing it, completely.
    Also, how do I contact a moderator? I was thinking we should have a separate forum for middle - HS issues so it would be way easier to find some resoures.

J
    J
    To contact the moderator , just click on his name, Mark Dlugosz, it is under the name of each forum. Then click on send message. : )

Oh Ania,
    I'm so sorry to hear that the HS fell through. But it's so wonderful to hear that DS is taking things into his own hands. Go Ghost!
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Ania,

Did you talk/email the moderator? I'm interested in high school topics too, so let me know what happens.

I've been looking into the APEX learning online classes (physics and AP physics are offered and they're pretty reasonably priced). Also, the University of Missouri High School has online Gifted and AP classes (including physics and pre-calc), also at good prices. Maybe Ghost would be interested in trying those? The EPGY pre-calc class is only one semester long. Geometry is 2.5 semesters, which of course makes me wonder what our high school kids are missing when ours is only 2 semesters.

There's an article in the Wall St Journal today ranking AP vs. IB courses. We don't have the IB choice here, but I still find it interesting.

My DS11 took AMC8 yesterday and said it was a lot of fun (I was SO happy to hear that because he's normally a bit lazy academically even though he's amazingly bright). I think I told you that Math Kangaroo is during our Spring Break, so teachers aren't able to do it this year. I asked them to look into Rocket City Math. I wish we had a Math Club like the one you're doing. My DS9 in taking an AoPS class and I'm so excited to see him actually THINK--it's early on, but it has already done wonders for his self-esteem. Thanks for recommending it!

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Oops--the article re:AP v. IB was in Washington Post.

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I have just e-mailed M.Dlugosz. We will see.

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Cym - Thanx for your suggestions:)
    Here is my thinking for today, as of course it changes day to day as I am finding out new things.
    I wrote in another post that Ghost is trying to work ahead in his
    Algebra 2 book during math. His teacher said OK as long as he is able to "pass' the tests she is giving to the rest of the class.
    So he is working ahead, asking teacher for explanations of things that are not clear. He assigns himself homework and then corrects it by self (???). LOL, of course my husband will have to have a good look into what he is really doing. It will happen this weekend. Ghost has been instructed to bring all of his math work home today.I think that he is honestly working ahead, maybe not all the time and every day, but considering how slow the rest of the class is doing...
    Nice to hear that EPGY Pre-Calc class is only one semester. Is EPGY self paced? We were thinking about having Ghost complete both Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc this year and then tackle AP Calculus BC while he is in 8th grade. But I see several problems in this approach. For ones, there will be no math classes for him in the HS if he comes with AP Calc under his belt. He would have to start taking Univeristy courses his freshman year. And I think it will be too much. I am thinking about transition to HS, close to an hour commute one way (I hope it will be more like 40 min. but we don't know yet, as the train does not start running until spring 2008). I don't won't to throw either early morning or evening university class at him his first year of HS. I would be more than happy to have him do Algebra 2 for the entire school year and then add some problem solving classes. Unfortunately AOPS classes are not one-on-one, you have to be in front of the computer at the specific time of a specific day.
    Right now he takes Introduction to Counting and Probability on Mondays and he absolutely loves it, it is an excellent level for him and he does not feel overwhelmed. He has already taken several classes from AOPS before but this seems to be the best fit. We plan on having him take their classes all along.
    As for computer leraning options during school, we have Utah Electronic HS http://www.schools.utah.gov/ehs/
    or BYU http://ce.byu.edu/is/site/. I thinkg both of these are self paced.
    In science , he is trying to cover 7 and 8 grade curriculum this year and then do HS physics next year during science, proably also based off the internet. But if we do that he will be starting HS with two AP courses on his plate - Calculus and Physics and I don't know how easy it will be for him to handle both.
    Anyone has any advice on how to handle this?

C
    cym Offline
    C
    I envy that you have a plan, Ania. I seem to go around in circles trying to figure out:

1. Should I leave it all alone with DS's basic classes (called Honors)? One suggestion on this board was to use extra time to pursue afterschool clubs & activities, but there really are none other than MESA Club and sports (both of which he's doing).

2. Inflexible high school indicates a specific menu of classes for honors freshman. I've asked for DS13 to accelerate in English and Math, but they say No. I'm trying again next week, before semester break.

3. DS wants to take online classes to graduate early (and help make this year interesting), but unlike Ghost, we don't have a clear vision of which classes; so we're going with the graduation requirements. I have a little reluctance to do this because I want him to do academics during school and then other activities (I hate him having to duplicate math just because his in-school math is review).

4. I've offered homeschooling or prep school and he declines, but is not happy to go to school in the mornings, glum and moody (may be typical adolescence, but I think lack of challenge is also contributing)

5. We don't have a good college in town, so the dual enrollment other than online is not a great option. The community college also makes it very difficult for kids <16 without the superintendent's endorsement.

6. DS13 has a group of good friends at school and I worry he's holding back because of them. The kids are mod. gifted, and his best friend is failing 2 classes. He's a great kid, but I want DS to be pushed ahead, motivated, driven by friends rather than downplaying his grades to be cool.

Thanks for listening to me vent...I do want to point out that DS does not recommend EPGY specically because it's dry and too independent, but it is advanced, thorough and taught him the material very well.

Gotta go--Cym

Last edited by cym; 11/16/07 05:24 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM