Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Belle #43032 03/28/09 02:51 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Isa I am sure that no-one here will judge you - we all know how important our sleep is smile and like my friend always says it's not like they will still be bf at 18!

Belle, my DS6 sleeps well once he is asleep but he does grind his teeth terribly during the night! I was curious as to what time your DS6 wakes up? How many hours does he sleep in the night? We are on Easter holidays here and my DS6 seems to think that it is an excuse to wake up extra early...meanwhile poor DS4 will fall asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow and not stir for the next 12 hours (although up until a year ago he was awake numerous times during the night and had only ever slept through a handful of nights since birth). It seems DS4 is trying to catch up on some sleep smile

XX

Tiz #43035 03/28/09 05:40 AM
    Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by Tiz
    Isa I am sure that no-one here will judge you - we all know how important our sleep is smile and like my friend always says it's not like they will still be bf at 18!
    XX

DH and me used to joke that she will be at the University or with boyfriend and still wanted to bf laugh !!

On the other hand, she used to wake up at night until very recently and I had to bf to sleep every time... We co-slept until she was about 4 and from 3 years old to 4 it was a nightmare because DS was as well in the big bed and they both have fights at night to see who got mamma's 'nams'. Then between 4 and 5.5ish I would go from one bed to another.
    But now, FINALLY, she is pretty much sleeping the whole night and when she awakes it is enough to quickly make her do 'pipi' and put her back in bed and she falls sleep in two seconds by herself.

DS usually sleeps as well almost the whole night, except when not and then I can spend two hours trying to make him sleep again.

Anyway, in RL I do not dare to mention that I still bf DD... with the exception of two friends - who obviously do not approve it but sense that it may be not a good idea to start a discussion on the topic.

Isa #43039 03/28/09 07:38 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    "DH and me used to joke that she will be at the University or with boyfriend and still wanted to bf laugh!!" (sorry I don't know how to insert your original post)

Isa - this made me LOL - I'm sure that it will not come to that! A lot of people have very strong views about bf, but I always feel that everyone's situation is different and you must do what is right for your family and situation.

Tiz #43138 03/29/09 06:09 PM
    B
    B
    Tiz DS6 sleeps an average of about 10 hours - but he sleeps in most days because we homeschool (he usually sleeps till 8-8:30) - I think if he had to get up for his old normal routine of school, he would be a wreck! He doesn't ever wake up at the same time during the night - it's always different. We actually had a sleep study done on him to look for things like grinding teeth or apnea and they pretty much found nothing...just a little guy who wakes at the drop of a pin.

Belle #43164 03/30/09 06:17 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Belle, do you know if grinding teeth is a bad thing and how do you stop it? He does it so loudly some nights! I am worried he is going to wear them away...

At least with homeschooling you have some flexibility with your DS's routine, but it is exhausting when you have disturbed nights!

XX

Tiz #43172 03/30/09 07:46 AM
    Grinding teeth is a bad thing! I recently found out that I grind my teeth and it's causing all kinds of problems.

Talk to your dentist about it.

Kriston
    Kriston #43257 03/31/09 04:32 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks Kriston - I think that a visit to the dentist is in order! He grinds so loudly it can wake us up (although it doesn't seem to disturb him :)). I am worried that he is going to wear away his teeth, although now that he is on holiday the grinding seems to have subsided..

Tiz #43263 03/31/09 05:54 AM
    We have sleep issues here as well. My DS8 has a terrible time falling asleep. In his case, I think reading before bed is what keeps him awake. My friend says she is the same way. I'll call her in the AM and she can barely talk b/c she stayed up until 5am reading a book! We had a few days where DS lost everything in his room, including his books, for very poor behaviour and he fell asleep very quickly. NOw he's back to reading before bed and is pushing falling asleep until 10-11pm. He's never needed as much sleep as other kids and stopped napping at 2yrs old. He claims that he wakes several times each night due to bad dreams and that he is afraid to go to sleep b/c of bad dreams. He doesn't read scary books before bed. My mother had nightmares every night of her life. I have very vivid dreams which just wear me out. If I'm getting exercise and don't have much sugar/chocolate before bed, I sleep much better. I found DS8 reading at nearly 11pm last night. Of course this AM he is very bleary-eyed. So I'm going to go back to reading in the living room before bed and then no books in bed and see if that helps.

If I snuggle w/ DS8 he falls asleep quickly. But i have 2 other kids (5yr and 2yrs old) and DH doesn't get home until 8:30-9pm so it's difficult to sit/lay with him for 15min or so.

Now my 5yr old who has been my sleeper child.....napping until he went to K, putting himself to bed every night w/out being told, is having sleep issues probably b/c he's not happy in K. It's taking him a long to go to sleep.

Dazed&Confuzed #43279 03/31/09 07:09 AM
    M
    M
    Tiz, I am from a family of teeth-grinders. I have been told that it is hereditary (from a misaligned jaw). However, I am not totally convinced, because I stopped grinding a few years ago for no apparent reason. I have found that during times of stress, I grind aggressively. Not sure if that's true for all grinders, but could explain why your son's grinding slowed down over holiday.

Grinding erodes the tops of your teeth, making them oversensitive to temperature (and sometimes overly sweet tastes, etc.) A toothpaste for sensitive teeth usually helps people who have mild problems with this.

Dentists typically like to stop the grinding by creating a custom night guard for the grinder. The guard properly aligns the jaw and protects the teeth. I tried this solution and bit through two guards. They may have better materials now (my experience was several years ago).

One of my daughters is also a grinder, but it is very sporadic, so we haven't gone the night guard route yet.

Good luck with finding a solution for your son!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM