Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #4304 11/10/07 04:33 PM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I was just wondering how many of you have children attending the academy or the young scholars program? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the program and school. smile

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie - thanks! I am hoping that the good score, recommendations and very detailed application that I did (which took me quite some time to complete) will be enough to get her accepted. Fingers crossed!

What do you like best about your ds being in the DYS program? What benefit has it given your son? How old is he? DD just turned 7 in late Oct. Ive read all about the DYS program but know that personal experience far outweighs anything that I can read. smile

Yes, it is fortunate that we are in NV. We are actually about an hour away from where the academy is located. We'll take things one step at a time, first hoping to get into the DYS program, and see how things progress from there.

Thanks so much for your response laugh

My family has been involved with the YS program since the beginning of 2003. We homeschool, so have not needed assistance with advocacy, but we have reaped the benefits of DYS services in myriad other ways. Being PG can be very isolating, and being the parent of a PG kid can also be tough. It is wonderful to be able to talk to people who understand our issues.

One of my YS is a seven year old girl. She has a few YS friends who she seemed to bond with instantly. Though they don't have the chance to get together frequently, they email each other and share many of the same passions. Outside of DITD, the girls she actually has most in common with are 9-12 years old. She can't really discuss books or big ideas with her age-mates locally, though she does try.

I hope that your daughter's application is accepted quickly, and that we can say hello on the parent lists!

Hi Tammy,
    I can't put into words the difference that being in YSP has made to my parenting. DS11 is just a square peg that wouldn't not, couldn't be made to fit into that round hole without a fight! Even with the IQ scores, no one locally had any idea of the implications of those scores - including me, DH, the school and the tester.

Plus I see myself and my own path in such a different light - even being MG or HG in this world, is enough to make everything seem upside down and swimmy. I'm a much calmer person, and waste very little energy trying to "look normal" these days. Before I wasted so much energy trying to "pass" and I wouldn't have minded so much if I could have, but I never could!

Luckily DS found some other boys of roughly similar age through the YSP that we are able to get together with for playdates. This has been the key that has gotten him through the tough years. Even now with things going really well at school, and having friends there, there is still something so special about the afternoons he spends with his YSP friends. He can finally have a chance to be himself.

Interestingly YSP is set up to help parents advocate for the children, but I really see my son's social and emotional needs being met through the program. If the program focused on social and emotional needs without the help and concern on getting the academics "close enough" then I doubt that his social and emotional needs would be met. Weird paradox, huh?

Your current school's clustering and compacting policy is worlds ahead of what we have in our state. That may be all she needs.
    Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for responding ladies. It sounds like the YSP is great. Keeping my fingers crossed that dd gets accepted. I'll keep you posted! laugh

BTW, Tammiane,

If we lived near Reno, I would very seriously consider enrolling my kids in the DA. That is the only school in the world that attracts my interest and makes me wonder if it might be better than homeschooling for my children. The benefit of having constant interaction with true peers is very, very appealing. No matter what we do with homeschooling, my kids seem to have only each other and maybe 1-2 other Hg+ kids. As they get into their teens, I believe this may become more of an issue.

CFK #4359 11/13/07 09:05 AM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Obviously we have to wait and see if dd gets into the YSP but if she does then it would only be a matter of time before we would have to think about the DA. I have mixed feelings on it. I think its an exceptional school. We'd almost be crazy to not send her there if she got accepted. I know that. My fear is making her grow up too fast. Her rate of acceleration right now is increasing and thats just in a public school that has a good focus on high kids. How fast would her acceleration be in an environment like the DA? Would she be graduating HS at a crazy young age? Is that a good thing? I dont want her to miss out on the normal "kid" stuff because she is already in college so young. KWIM? I know academically it would be unbelievable for her so its really a very hard decision. We are fortunate because not only is dd gifted but socially she is flourishing. She has lots of friends, her BF is actually in GT too. She is confident and a leader and so I like that she is so balanced. There are times that she gets frustrated with other kids because they just dont "think" like she does but for the most part she seems very happy with school etc. We just dont want to make a mistake! I guess we'll cross that bridge when we and IF we get to it. Its a huge decision!

CFK #4364 11/13/07 10:10 AM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    From what Ive read they have to be at Jr high (middle school) level to qualify for the school. So yes, we have some time. Dd is reading at middle school level and her spelling is already at 5th grade but she has some time before all of her subjects are at that level. Her rate of acceleration right now seems to be skyrocketing and so who knows how long it will be before she is at that level.

Lets say she does go to the DA. If she completes all HS level work does she technically graduate? I wonder how that works. There's much I need to research IF she seems to be headed that direction. This all may be mute if she doesnt get into the YSP so thats why we're just taking things one day at a time. wink

Im sorry your son has a tough time making friends. I know that must be hard. frown

CFK -
    I don't think "sociability" runs in families, and when I think back to my brothers and the boyfriends, and their brothers from my teenage-years I think that having one brother be very girl-social actually puts an inhibiting effect on the others. No research here, just a hunch.

But the main point is that homeschooling is not a "all or none" permanent decision. I would encourage you to met your child's needs "for now" anyway you can. You can always change your plans later as priorities develop.

Tammy, I wouldn't be suprised if your daughter's school is a wonderful environment for her throughout her schoolyear, because of what you outlined in your Clustering post. The great thing about the Davidson Academy is that it's there if you need it. I read somewhere that when you met children's intellectual needs, every child does better, but the gap between top and middle actually grows, because the lid is taken off. So I wouldn't be suprised if she does need a gradeskip here or there, but you will know it by watching her behavior. If perfectionism develops, if she doesn't appear engaged, if she has lots of kids who want to be her friend, but no one that she values, then you'll know that some kind of change is needed.

Perhaps she'll get to spend a year or two at Davidson Academy at the end of High School, when she is ready to strech her wings? The good thing is that you are sitting pretty! I hear over and over that the key is to met your child's needs now, and be flexible in preparing for the future, as these kids tend to leap ahead in unpredictable ways.

Smiles,
    Trinity

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Really good points, Trinity. Thanks! Oh, and perfectionism developed years ago with her (haha) but she does appear engaged and does have lots of little friends. I have high expectations for her GT program too so I hope that having that keeps her challenged and engaged. wink

Hopefully you will be able to use the perfectionism as a kind of meter to see if she is getting her needs met. Hopefully you will see a gradual de-intensification of the perfectionist behavior as she "builds character."

Smiles,
    Trinity

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ive noticed a slight improvement with the perfectionism that she has. In first grade dd would be so upset and frustrated if she missed one problem on a test. She didn't like it if anyone scored higher than her either. Her teacher and I tried to stress to her that not knowing an answer or getting an answer wrong is ok, its how we learn. It took some time but she started to relax a bit and not be so hard on herself.

Now she's in 2nd grade and Im noticing that while she's still very focused on getting 100% on her work she is not nearly as hard on herself when she doesn't.

CFK-

I don't think you need to belong to a formal group, but I do think you need to find a way for your child to interact with others regularly. When I started homeschooling, my "support group" was a small handful of families that got together a few times a week. That worked out fine for us for a while, but when we found our current group (which covers a large fairly rural area and has close to 200 families on the mailing list) I was thrilled.

I think my son sees more gifted friends through homeschooling than he would in a traditional public school; at least in our small town. He's free to hang out with kids both older and younger, and from different towns, so the "fishing" is pretty good although the pool of kids exactly his age is significantly smaller than it would be in a public school class. So he has his social needs met pretty well, for now. I'm not sure how things will go in the next few years. Our homeschool group has a teen group that has been very active over the last few years, and DS is just old enough to take part. He's doing teen Shakespeare class and teen book club, though he hasn't yet been motivated to do the more strictly social activities such as movie night or mini-golf. His buddy is trying to talk him into attending the prom next Spring, but DS is not into it.

We're trying to make decisions based on what is working or not at this time, and right now everything is going great. I'm trying not to borrow trouble! smile

take care-

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM