Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    melmichigan #42806 03/26/09 05:59 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Well I cuddled him to sleep last night so he was asleep by 9:30pm (as was I - I did warn you all that I would doze off!) but unfortunately he was awake at 5:30am and also managed to wake up DS4!

I am making it my mission to ensure he is totally tired out by the end of today :-) If not, I think that I am going to give up and just let him read himself to sleep (nothing too exciting of course).

Tiz #42813 03/26/09 07:18 AM
    S
    S
    Just wanted to add that although they say activity tires out kids and they sleep better, I have found that more brain stimulating things help my DS4 sleep better. He sleeps better when he has done some more challenging things. Like when he switched preschools and started at a Montessori program...sleep improved. Just thought I would throw that out there as well. Someone may have already mentioned that though...didn't read all the posts in this thread yet.

shellymos #42824 03/26/09 08:02 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks for that shellymos, I am going to sign up for Aleks maths for him - he loves maths and I think that it will make sure he is properly challenged (especially as he is now on an Easter break for four weeks!). Does anyone know what level/choice I should start on for an (almost) 7 year old? I can't figure out what course to choose! We are in the UK so I am unfamiliar with the US school grades. Thanks.

Tiz #42845 03/26/09 08:51 AM
    M
    M
    We just started our son (who's 7) out on Grade 3, their easiest level. They give assessment tests, and you can test out of things, so they'll tell you when your kid has learned 90% of the grade level and suggest you move them up. They don't have to plod through a level if it's too slow for them - just take an assessment test. If they prove they know it, without gaps, they can move up. And the next grade makes sure they keep the old knowledge up, too. If you guessed wrong your kid could move to another class very quickly, and without stress about missing important material.

montana #42847 03/26/09 08:55 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Oh thanks montana - I have just done a separate post about this as I realised I had probably put the question in the wrong place! It is good to know that you can move classes!

XX

Mia #42958 03/27/09 07:40 AM
    On the Seng Webinar last night, Dr Fiedler addressed the fact that so many of our kids have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep (that's our problem). She recommended using what she called an "idea trap". Basically it's a small notebook or journal that kids can write down all of the thoughts and questions that seem to come to them as soon as their head hits the pillow. Then in the morning they can ask their questions. She said many kids stay awake for hours because of a fear that they'll forget their "most important question" and not be able to get an answer. She said the notebook can also be sent to school for those kids that have "AHA!" moments in class that tend to be disruptive. They can write it down and then take care of it when it's more appropriate.

This is something that i'm going to try with DS6. Although he goes to sleep easily at 8:00 every night, he rarely stays asleep. He wakes up in the middle of the night full of questions, concerns and ideas. Maybe this will allow me more sleep! Worth a try...

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #42973 03/27/09 10:21 AM
    M
    M
    What a great suggestion!

Movingup6 #42979 03/27/09 11:02 AM
    melatonin has helped calm the racing thoughts at our house. DS was quite suprized to experience the feeling of 'getting sleepy.' He had no idea before....

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #43011 03/27/09 04:12 PM
    Isa Offline
    Ok, I am going to earn the tittle of complete freak, but I have been breast-feeding DD to sleep until very recently!

This has made her sleep within 10 or even 5 minutes smile

Now I am working very hard to wean her, but i still have to trick her, so I pretend for example (after I have put her to bed and put dim lights) that I am going to put my pajamas and leave her for about 10 minutes. If this does not work, I sing her a few songs and of this does not work, then I bf her....

Anyway, even with the help of my 'nams' (as DS calls them) she sleeps better if she has enough mental challenge. Exercise does help too, but the mental one seems to be more important. And she needs some good time to cool down in the evening, although it is difficult to say how much it is because I have to take care of DS at the same time, who becomes quite difficult and tornado-like when he is tired....

About DS... my kleine-tornado... he as well falls sleep when I bf him, but it takes longer, up to 30 minutes sometimes. And the bad part is that he does not want to bf when he does not want to go to sleep. And he cannot sleep until 6 or 7 hours after his nap - he really has trouble sleeping earlier.

I think both of them would be much more easier to handle if I could put them to bed separately but unfortunately DH arrives most days quite late frown

Oh well....

ebeth #43018 03/27/09 07:25 PM
    B
    B
    Oh can I relate to this post! My DS6 had pretty much never really slept through the night.....he stopped napping at about age 2 and when he was between ages 2-4 he pretty much was up 4-5 times a night. He has Sensory Processing Disorder and has extremely sensitive hearing...he can hear things that I can't even hear. So things really bothered him at night and he would wake up at a drop of a pin. We put in a noise machine for him and he picks what sound he wants to listen to at night. He also can't "shut off his brain" - our night ritual is in bed by 8:00 - then we read 4 books and lights out around 8:30 and then my husband and I switch each night....after lights out, he is allowed to talk and share about anything he wants. We have found that he really can't switch his brain off and he will bring up things that I didn't even remember happening earlier in the morning. I actually enjoy this time with him as we snuggle and talk...he is usually asleep by 9:15 or so. We have found that this talking session allows him to release any worries or just help his brain slow down a bit! He still wakes up 1-2 times a night but he is getting better at falling back asleep pretty quickly.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM