Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I don't know if my story completely aligns with yours tracey but I will use it here to show other strange things that proves you are not nuts or that we all are. smile

I am sure everyone has heard of the idea of singing to the child while still in the tummy and sticking with one or two songs so that it soothes them later when they are born. We did that ... for some reason I was messing with one of my dogs and started singing 'In the jungle' replacing The Lion with the dogs name. And The baby with DD name. The first time she was fussy I started singing that song and she stopped crying instantly to listen to it. Very sweet indeed. She now sings the song on her own (of course our revised version)just out of the blue it is either that one or Puff the Magic Dragon.

None of that is the weird thing ... when I was pregnant with her I would fall asleep in the crash and burn type. One night or very early morning I woke up to my DH tapping on my belly. I almost made a comment when I felt DD tapping back the same beat to him. I was stunned and figured it was a fluke so I stayed still and he did it again but changed up the beat and she repeated it back. I was freaking out at that point and sat up and made a comment about did you feel that she is mimicking you. He just laughed and said yes, she has been for weeks. We have been playing a lot while you are asleep.

To this day she has amazing rhythm.

We can put on Peter Cincotti's "Philadelphia" and Mr W will stop what he is doing, crying, or anything else and listen until its done. He will then want us to play it again. He has done this since he was 3 mos old when he first heard music over good speakers. ( He knew the difference..)

Starting when she was 6 mos pregnant, DW would play with Mr W who would tap her fingers when she pushed on him. They would play this for a long time. DW plays a lot of music when she is driving around, too.

Originally Posted by shellymos
    I could never have started DS in a program before this year. I did try it at 3 and he was in a program for 4 months (just 4 hrs a week). It was an awful fit...he could barely talk with the kids because they barely talked. He didn't understand why they weren't speaking english...in retrospect it is quite funny. At the time it wasn't. Time heals all wounds, well most of them.

This is exactly my concern. Shelly, I really needed to read this, thanks!

[quote=Irisheyes
    As we had a psychologist tell us, "Kids like this ... their minds are always going. So either you give them something to do to stimulate them ... or they're going to think of something themselves ... and it's rarely good." [/quote]

Irisheyes, you have so described my DD, puddle jumping and window opening and all. I love how the psychologist summed it up.

I
    I
    Thanks, seablue.

I have to admit, in hindsight I think the actual teacher had a lot to do with our negative pre-school experience ... rather than the school itself. Our teacher, though a lovely woman, was a bit old-school in her expectations of how a 3-year-old should behave in her classroom. Perhaps if we had found a more free-spirited teacher who embraced what dd (then 3) could bring to the class - our story could have ended differently.

As it is, that stumbling block helped us find the school where we are today. And for that, I will always be thankful.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM