Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Isa Offline
    Oh yes!

For quite a while I was convinced that the parenting books/websites were the biggest lie I have ever read!
    Either that, or my DD had some alien blood in her LOL.

I still remember when she was two that I posted in other parenting board whether it was really true that 2 year old children cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy because mine did. I was surprised by the few answers I got....

As well, I wondered for a few months if the baby of a friend had some cerebral damage, until I noticed that all the other babies look more like baby's friend than mine. That baby is now a child who is perfectly fine, probably is even an intelligent child!

Anyway, it would have helped to have some more clue with DD5.5.

I try to learn from my mistakes and not to to do them with DS2.6

Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by Isa
    As well, I wondered for a few months if the baby of a friend had some cerebral damage, until I noticed that all the other babies look more like baby's friend than mine. That baby is now a child who is perfectly fine, probably is even an intelligent child!

I just wanted to add that I did not mean that in a 'mean' way. The baby was slightly premature and I really thought there was a problem.

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Ania
    We absolutely did not know what is going on till S transferred out of a private school in 5th grade and was allowed to fly...
    To tell the truth, we were a little ashamed of him...

Why would you be ashamed of him?

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Isa
    Oh yes!

For quite a while I was convinced that the parenting books/websites were the biggest lie I have ever read!
    Either that, or my DD had some alien blood in her LOL.

LOL - alien blood. I thought surely I must be totally overstating what DS was doing when I looked at the books. Even when I was pregnant and had to count fetal movements - the doctor assured me I was doing it wrong, that there usually wasn't THAT much movement....

Dottie ... I have the tall and gifted child. I have started calling her my amazon girl because she is just as tall as the 4 year olds in the neighborhood. One mom was shocked to find out she is only 2 1/2 and assumed she would be starting kindergarten this fall. Even knowing that DD is gifted I jump to the conclusion that she is shocked by her height not anything else. LOL But reading your post I have to laugh because it was clear that Katelyn's speech was advanced beyond a four year old but I never thought that was what would bring the mother into disbelief. I know I know ... denial!

And as far as the comments about something wrong with other kids ... I still do it. There is a four yr old that lives across the street and I can't understand half of what she says. I am sure she needs therapy but I also don't have anything to gauge that against. I keep telling myself it isn't fair to compare other kids to DD.

Originally Posted by JustAMom
    Sometimes I feel like his combination of giftedness and ADHD has caused many to question his abilities and my parenting harshly.

What a road you've been on.

J
    J
    Yes! It brings me to tears often because had I really known, or had I understood the complexities, the first 4.5 years would've gone MUCH differently for DS5.

HHmmm interesting conversation....I too got the comments about my 2nd son and always thought they were talking about his height but he too was a precocious talker. I just always assumed they were talking about his height. I'd get the question "Why aren't you in school?" and he say, "I go to pre-school."

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I spent probably the first 6-7 years of her life hearing, but not understanding virtually non-stop comments of awe, and thinking they were all about her height. So many people were shocked to learn she was "only x years" at various stages, and I chalked every single one of their comments....teachers included, up to her off the charts stature, whistle .

LOL, I have a tall DS4...and although I knew something was up early on..I was always so happy he was bigger because at least when he does exceptionally advanced things people thought he was older. They were pretty amazed then they saw what they thought was a 3 year old reading signs in the stores...but if they knew he had just turned 2 that would have been even more awkard. I used to pray that people wouldn't ask his age because I didn't want to lie to them, and I wasn't ashamed of him...just the situations and awkwardness. Anyhow, now that I am considering skipping K, I am glad he is a tall kid. It works well for us.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I have never been able to figure out how to support this poor child in her emotional intensity, her intellectual intensity, or her competitive drive. I feel like she suffers for it and should have been born to parents who instinctively know how to nurture exceptional talent- like many of the parents on this board. I feel myself being jealous that y'all know exactly how to handle some things. Maybe if I were more supportive, I wouldn't have been locked out of the house so much, or been chastised by her pediatrician and preschool teacher for holding her back. (She would tell on me to them and they would advocate for her to me) Every day, I feel so challenged and unprepared for dd, and every day she adds new dimension. It is surely never dull, but it's more her guiding me on what to do with her than me providing that "father know's best" anticipitory guidance for growing up.

So sorry you are going through all this. I have to say that most parents don't know what they are doing. Yes, some know more than others how to handle things...but good parents will try to learn and try to change things when they aren't working. It sounds like you are doing exactly that. I teach parenting classes, I have researched working with and parenting gifted children, I have looked here for support...And I STILL don't think I have everything quite right yet. No one is the perfect parent. It's normal to look back and see what we could do different. Hindsight is 20/20, what matters now is to look ahead and do all you can. It's not like it's too late, they are still young. I learn more every day.

Sometimes I kick myself for not going with my initial instincts (like my ridiculous idea that DS4 didn't need a pre-k with academics since he was so far above pre-k academics...I felt I should just put him in a play-based pre-k. That was an awful experience and they kicked him out after a month. That had to be very hard and confusing for him and if I hadn't done that and gone straight to the Montessori things would have been better. BUT, he survived and I survived and although it seemed like the worse thing ever at the time...he doesn't seem scarred from the event and is thriving in his new program. Parenting is all about making mistakes and hopefully learning from them. Please don't feel like people on here are more qualified to parent your child. You are the parent you are looking for resources and help...that already puts you above so many parents that think they have all the answers and don't.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM