Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #4274 11/09/07 10:59 AM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Last year at the end of 1st grade my daughter was pulled out of class for GT testing. I had no idea they were pulling her out. After school when I picked her up she started crying. She said that she had to take a test and didnt know why she was the only one who had to. She went on to say that she got every answer wrong because the "man" kept writing marks on the paper when she answered. (her 1st grade teacher would mark things wrong on the paper when they were incorrect..she assumed this was happening during the test) Anyway, she crumbled. She was so upset. I later found out that she did not pass, that her IQ was 106. After speaking with the psychologist about her results it was obvious that she shut down during the test. He suggested retesting her next year but I sensed that maybe he wasn't convinced it would make that much of a difference. But I knew this was not a reflection of her ability so I said that I did want her retested.

Last week she had her 2nd test. Yesterday I got the test results. Not only did she qualify for the GT program (requires IQ of 130+) but her IQ this time is 150! Sometimes Parents really do know their kids, huh? Im so glad I said I wanted her retested. And relieved that the school retested her.

Last edited by Tammiane; 11/09/07 12:23 PM.
    Mom2LA #4275 11/09/07 12:53 PM
    Tammiane,

It is a good thing you asked the questions, and I think you are right. Parents usually know there is something up when their child is extemely intelligent. I'm glad to hear she qualified for the gifted programs and I hope she finds them challenging. I've found this forum a great reference point and source of support, hope you do too. Sometimes it's nice to connect with folks who are in the same boat.

Incog

Dottie #4280 11/09/07 04:11 PM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie - The test she had was the WISC-IV. wink

We're waiting on word from the Young Scholar program. The review is the 15th of this month so I'm guessing we'll know either way sometime in December. Fingers crossed! laugh

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM