Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    BTW, I'm absolutely lousy at conferences myself, so please bear that in mind...

I'm not saying don't focus on academics. I think you're right, Dottie, that you've got to talk about them. But I would think that doing so solely in terms of what's going on in the classroom would get better results. Talking about the effect on the kid seems smart to me.

I just know that whenever I've politely and pleasantly shared with a teacher what DS was doing at home, I got either blank looks/blown off or active refutation along the lines of "All kids do that." But talking about the child's emotional state seems harder for a teacher to ignore.

But what do I know? DS is only 6 and we're now home schooling! Clearly I'm no expert! crazy

Last edited by Kriston; 11/16/07 09:18 AM.
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, I think the conferences went well.

DD: Her teacher wants her to take the GATE test. I'm still unsure about 4th grade GATE teacher. I need to ask around (carefully!) Teacher was surprised that DD scored higher on math test than language arts. Teachers seem to notice that DD has amazing reading skills but since she is a girly-girl they tend to assume she isn't into math <eyeroll>. I told her that DD has been doing EPGY (teacher never heard of it). I found out that unfortunately our school only bought 120 licenses for accelerated reader and those will be going to struggling readers. sigh.

DS: His teacher says that he is very advanced academically although he is the youngest in the class. He needs to work on large motor skills and social skills. She recommends soccer for both those things. He needs to work on handwriting (which looks pretty darn good to me but ok...) Basically, she said it's great for me to do challenging stuff at home (I showed her the Singapore workbook he finished) and to continue doing that. She wants me to have him start writing sentences. I agree with that. There are a couple of other kids in the class who can read so she told me if I come in once a week I can do a reading group with them. She doesn't really have time to do separate lessons for them. She doesn't have time to do any kind of math for him. I believe her! I just don't know what to do... I told her that I am not sure where the best fit for DS will be next year. Neither first nor second grade seems to be right. She suggested that I meet with the school psychologist to figure that out.

So... I have to take some time to digest what was said and figure out my next step.

What do all of you think?

Cathy

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie,

I'm glad your conferences went well. I think I can work the reading group into my schedule. I'm already teaching science for her on Fridays! They should pay me, lol!

Cathy

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm glad your DS enjoys it. I felt a bit awkward about grading Calculus and German papers when I was in high school frown

Cathy

Cathy, I think it's really good that the teacher supports your afterschooling, and is offering the chancee todo the reading group. Good luck with DD, that a though call.
    Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I'm in "need to digest" mode myself, but my Mastercard moment came when both of DS's 5th grade teachers said that I really knew what I was doing when I pushed for the grade skip. They are thrilled with him, and didn't have a single age/social/emotional concern whatsoever, ditto for 6th grade math. I was grinning so hard when I left that I felt like I'd just had a Botox injection. They were really amazed with DS's abilities. It was interestingly better than any past conference too, which was surprising given the additional acceleration. I wonder in part if they aren't seeing things having been given "permission" to see them, if that makes any sense. There is a certain amount of tunnel vision going on in those early grades.

Wow Dottie, That is terrific news. Good for you. and good for them for giving a parent the kind of validation that doesn't come very often. WoW!

Trinity

Originally Posted by Dottie
    (Speaking of doubts, can you believe that I still question whether he's really "that smart" or if they just really like my willingness to run copies on end, ROFL!)

This doesn't suprise me at all. During the Gifted Conference I attended as part of Splash's Parent Program, it became clear to me that our key struggle as parents of gifted, and ourselves gifted, is

LACK of TRUSTABLE REFERENCE POINTS

Our experience is so deviant from the norm, that we really lack a reasonable yardstick to judge ourselfs from, so we pick a direction, make a step and doubt, doubt, doubt. I mean really, the fact that we are all getting advice from anonymous folks over the Internet is shocking! Although Wonderful! Basically it's here, family members, Nowhere, or occasionally certian schools. That is so much less than it should be for most of us. Which is why I chant the name of my "best books" over and over - Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual, Ruf, Rimm, A Nation Decieved, Genius Denied.

Still if we face this lack, I think it's possible to acknowledge the doubts and see that it isn't a defect of you. If you were walking down a dark ally in a bear infested ally, you'd be nervous, right?

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

((chuckle))
    You are right, we have so much!
    The books,
    DITD,
    Each Other,
    Our Families and Friends,
    Our Minds,
    Our Hearts,
    Our Homes,
    Our Higher Power

Thanks Dottie,
    Trin

As for getting advice from anonymous strangers on the Internet...thankfully there aren't many trolls haunting websites dedicated to gifted education! But if there were, I suspect we'd figure them out immediately and know to ignore them. The GT lingo is just too specific. The only people who are going to use it are people who are living it. It's pretty much self-selecting. (Plus we're not talking about anything salacious, so no one is likely to stumble upon us when they're googling p0rn and decide to yank our chains...)

And I'm so glad for all of you reference points! Just knowing I'm not alone with all of this helps me to keep the bears in the alley at bay. To find gracious people so happy to share their wisdom and experience is wonderful.

smile

Kriston
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM