Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I have posted about my DD (6) before. We had her tested in the spring and she played mind games with the psych and basically made the results meaningless. Enough to definitely raise the possibility of highly gifted - but not enough to prove she is even barely above average.

Well, school started and I spoke with the teacher about my concerns about her underachievement. The teacher blew me off - the curriculum is challenging enough, all the kids in my class are very smart or gifted (selective private school - so this is true), etc.

Well, yesterday, DH went in for Donuts for Daddy and saw the teacher. She is planning to start some special enrichment activities with DD because she is too far ahead of the other kids and is bored with the work they are doing.

3 weeks into first grade and she is planning to start writing paragraphs with her.

I teared up. Happy that the teacher sees it - scared that maybe she really is her brother's sister, if you know what I mean. It is intimidating enough to have one child leaping ahead - what if I have two?

I know - enrichment doesn't mean she will end up grade skipping.... but I can't help but to be scared. In the last few weeks, she has started reading books at a 3rd grade level for pleasure. Biographies of King Tut and Annie Oakley. Not your normal stuff for a barely 6 yo girl. She told me that she prefers to read about the 'lives of real people'.

Remember.... this is the kid who watched a PBS show about gamma ray bursts in outer space and deduced that they were coming from blackholes 20 minutes before the narrator ever mentioned that as a possibility.

Mary

Mary
    I'm so glad that the teacher is aware of her. I really think she is the brighter of your two - sorry - I know that's tough to hear. She's obviously hightly tuned into social cues!

Love and More Love,
    Robin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    It is tough to hear because I know it will be tough on her.... much easier for her in the long run if she is 'only' highly gifted.

I remember listening in when DS took his WISC IV. I recall at the time thinking that DD could answer pretty much all the questions he did - and a few that he said 'I don't know' to.

I don't want her to be THAT gifted. However, everyone that knows both kids has either declared her to be the smarter of the two or has scratched their heads puzzled - wondering if maybe she isn't the smarter of the two.

No easy answers though.... No easy answers.

I really am hopeful that one way or another, this will be the year when she reaches out and embraces her intelligence.

Mary

Mary

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM