Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Which option do u think works best for a child who is going to be accelerated in one subject (Math) in the school?

1) Joining a higher grade Math class but only 2 grade higher so the child actually already knows all that is being taught

2) Having a Math mentor to teach him during regular Math class.

3) Doing na online distance course like CTY at own level and pace during regular Math class time in class.

I will be meeting with the Principal very soon to discuss abt the above. All advice or any other recommendations appreciated. TIA. smile

S-T,
    It really matters if your child loves learning with others, or is perfectly content to work one-to-one, or one-to-computer. These options all exist because they all work for some kids. Also what age and grade are you talking about?

Would the Mentor actually work at your child's readiness level, or just assume that it's impossible for the child to be so 'ready.'

What everyou try, you'll make your best guess, and then everyone will have to watch and be willing to change. Flexibility is key!

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    For my kid who seems (thus far) to like working independently, I'd vote for 2 or 3 too. But if you have a kid who wants to learn alongside other kids, is there any chance of a higher class to join to he's learning something?

S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thks for your views.

DS8 is currently at grade 3. He started with option (1) with 5th grade Math class since beginning of the year. Feedback from the 5th grade teacher was that everyone loves having him in class as he knows what he is doing. When asked if he likes the class, he just shrugged and said "OK but actually I am not learning anything new". He is someone that will sit through the class without complains.

The option of CTY opens up since he qualifies with this recent SCAT results. I found out that the 3rd grade teacher is actually looking forward to him doing it in the classroom while the rest of her kids are having Math. The current pull-out option makes DS missed out his regular reading and writing class... so the teacher has to make it up while the class is doing something else. She also shared her view that it's a pity that DS had to miss mini class discussions during reading/ writing as she thinks these are valuable too.

The mentor option is suggested by the school psychologist. This mentor is a tutor who is passionate abt Math and is currently tutoring high school math outside school. I have not met this tutor and do not know at the moment how the tutoring will work.

I would have a backup plan in place as in "let's try option X, if that doesn't work as evidenced by Y, we'd like to try option P." I agree w/ the others though from my READING, ie not experience, is that pace is usually an issue. In "Reforming Gifted education" there are several questionnaires for DC to fill out which indicates what kind of learner he/she is. My son, for instance, scored low on doing independent projects at school. He thrives on discussion and interaction with others. Now w/ a subject like math, he'd likely be fine w/ a computer course but I bet would love an enthusiastic tutor. I would like at your child's personality and ask him/her what he prefers.

S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Right now the school is leaning towards (3) so now we are preparing towards that direction. I would love to have a mentor too but that would have to wait or I have to consider it as a after-school since time in school is limited.

For which course to take.... CTY sent me a placement test with the title (for 5th-7th grade). I have DS completed it over the weekend. Will be faxing it over today. Let's see what they come back with in 3-4 days time.

S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Hmm, with the CTY option, is he allowed to take courses above 6th grade? I never figured that out completely. Not that I could afford the classes anyway, but that was a big unknown for us. We solved that by taking the SAT eventually, but I think your son will need classes higher than 6th, even through CTY, especially if we are talking about next year. His CTY math score was perfect, which basically means he was at the ceiling of that test as well (4th-6th).

OK.. I am back now with answers. smile

As mentioned above, DS8 completed the placement test for 5th - 7th grade. After the review, CTY came back and said that he is eligible for Pre-Algebra, but if I want, I can consider having him tested for the Algebra course since he did very well. He did that. Based on the 2nd test results, he is going to do the Algebra course (AL1) (starting in April).

I
    I
    Sounds like you've made good progress. I have a friend with a son doing option 1 and he is bored all the time. Don't think it's helped him much. Yesterday we read the article by Dr. Ruf below - which outlines her son's life story - but shows how many options there are, and how flexilbity is impotant - and more importantly outlines near the top how them not being at their pace/level affects them adversely. Her on worked with a tutor too.

http://www.educationaloptions.com/resources/resources_pg_child.php

I would opt for 3 with a back up plan or mixture of 2 and 3 as he sounds very gifted in this area - but personality would definitely need to be taken into account as well.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by IronMom; 04/16/09 09:50 AM.
    I agree with Dottie. A mix of 2 and 3 would be ideal. Is the teacher going to monitor his CTY at all?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Well, I can tell you that we were only offered choice 1 and I've been very disappointed with it. DD loves the class because despite it being review for her, it's more interesting the the rest of her day and she loves being with the older children. I have been working with the school to either put her in a higher grade level (right now she is 2 grades above in math) but they won't budge. I have to after-school her in math because it is completely unacceptable to me that my dd learn no new math for a whole year. Wish her school shared that view.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM