Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by delbows
    Originally Posted by Bassetlover
    We have a really big symphony orchestra in our city- we'll check it out.
    In some cases the tickets are not much more expensive than movie tickets. We haven�t gone recently, but I have seen even more advertisements for �special� events due to the current economy.

String quartets are good, too. Usually the audience is small and the performers will interact with the audience during the performance. The best time I ever had was with a Finnish group - they did a great job and then followed up with an encore of Finnish Ballads on their guitars. They then invited the audience to dinner.

LOL

D
    D
    That�s an excellent value, unless they served lutefisk!

Originally Posted by delbows
    That�s an excellent value, unless they served lutefisk!

Well, we still paid for own dinner. But it was a lot of fun.

M
    M
    Another good option for inexpensive concerts is university music departments. There will be several faculty recitals every year, and many, many more student recitals (there will generally be admission fees for the faculty or large ensemble concerts, but in my experience, student concerts are nearly always free or by donation). These kinds of concerts won't often be advertised in the newspaper, but call the department and ask to be put on a mailing list for an events calendar.

It would likely be useful, as well as enjoyable, for your child to attend a graduating student recital (and we're in a good time of year to go to a slew of them); the performance standard will be very high, and one begins to appreciate the amount of work it takes to get to the place these students have reached.

University music departments are also a good place to find teachers; if you are looking for a teacher, do call the department secretary and ask for a list of students who are willing to teach. The rates will be reasonable, and you will generally get excellent instruction from someone young and keen.

peace
    minnie

Originally Posted by minniemarx
    Another good option for inexpensive concerts is university music departments. There will be several faculty recitals every year, and many, many more student recitals (there will generally be admission fees for the faculty or large ensemble concerts, but in my experience, student concerts are nearly always free or by donation). These kinds of concerts won't often be advertised in the newspaper, but call the department and ask to be put on a mailing list for an events calendar.

It would likely be useful, as well as enjoyable, for your child to attend a graduating student recital (and we're in a good time of year to go to a slew of them); the performance standard will be very high, and one begins to appreciate the amount of work it takes to get to the place these students have reached.

University music departments are also a good place to find teachers; if you are looking for a teacher, do call the department secretary and ask for a list of students who are willing to teach. The rates will be reasonable, and you will generally get excellent instruction from someone young and keen.

peace
    minnie

Lots of good ideas here. Thanks!

Hi Basset,

I played some George Winston for Mr W last night and he was very happy. I got to thinking about your post again.

My mom had quite a collection of records of soundtracks, musicals, and operas.

Some of her favorite modern composers are listed below. You might see if you can get CDs of each's best for her to see if she likes them. I went to a lot of shows with my mom when I was younger and loved it. You could look for local venues where productions are being run and surprise your DS with one.

My guess is that she would be stunned by a good production from any of the writers listed below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_and_Sullivan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodgers_and_Hammerstein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gershwin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM