Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 32 of 268 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 267 268
    We had fun at the gt program 'family night' yesterday evening.

Mainly just fun playing on the floor with dd2 and seeing some things ds8 had done with his group - very cool designs for imaginary creatures which live off the coast of Japan, for one...

Then, I was really floored when the teacher came to me and said she really loved having ds in her class. I mean after getting the indecipherable results from the program progress report, I figured he was doing ok/so-so.
    But she was actually like clenching her hands while telling me this - very very enthusiastically speaking about his creativity and his ideas 'are just incredible!'. I mean, ok, I knew that, but I really didn't think anyone else did. It was just very very nice to hear. ( and more than 1/2 the time I think my opinions on it are way skewed, so...)

Last edited by chris1234; 03/25/09 09:00 AM.
    We need more brags!!

This is not my story, but something told to me by a retired USAF pilot who volunteers at a local flight museum.

The Old Fighter Pilot (OFP) sees a 12 year old girl walking around the museum. She stops to look at each plane, then sees an open-cockpit trainer from the 1940s and runs over to it. She looks the plane over carefully, climbs on the wing, and gets in the cockpit, her head barely clears the windscreen.

The OFP walks over to the plane while the girl works the controls, looking out the cockpit to see each control surface move.

OFP: "Say, young lady, do you know what this plane is?"

Girl: "Yessir, its a PT-23."

OFP:"Would you like me to show you how to fly it?"

Girl:"No thanks. I fly it all the time."

Just then the dad comes up and told the OFP that he had one and the girl had recently soloed in it.

I
    I
    Love it!!! Thanks Austin smile

L
    L
    My 10 year old son and I were reading from the book "An Incomplete Education" and we were looking at the chapter called "Philosophy Made Simplistic." We had both heard of logic, ethics, aesthetics, and metaphysics but I had never heard of epistemology and I asked him if he had heard of it. He said, "ePISTemology? I don't have a clue what that is but that word sounds like it could be the study of what Dad was when Uncle B played that April Fool's joke on him."

He liked reading what the book said about epistemology, especially the part about how do we know something and how do we know that we know it.

After reading some more about philosophy he told me he thought he knew enough staple philosophy words now and quickly threw out a bunch of big sounding words that sounded good but they didn't make a lot of sense and then asked me if I had heard enough circumlocution.

He also liked the word "hypoglossal" from the list of twelve cranial nerves. He said it sounded like a description of some women's lips, only some women's lips appeared to be more "hyper"glossal than "hypo"glossal.

He also liked the Vegus nerve and made some joke about striking it rich.

When I read to him from the 20th Century book "Arriving in freight trains or dilapidated cars or on foot, the men camped..." he interrupted and said "men camped"? Wasn't that Hitler's book?

The dentist was kidding around with him and when he said something about not being sure if he could trust a person with sharp metal objects in her hand, she asked him if he thought she looked like someone he could trust. He said, "Well you Are wearing a mask" and they both joked about what would happen if she walked into the bank with that mask on. By the time the dental appointment was over, the dentist and my son had both told plenty of jokes and he forgot about his fear of dental procedures.

But my biggest brag is that he takes time away from what he wants to do to talk to his adult sister who has been calling him about 10 times a day because she hasn't been able to find a full time job and he somehow makes her feel better when he talks to her. He even let her borrow some of his own money to pay her rent. He told her how she could save money by using coupons and told her how to find them online and she is using coupons now.

That's awesome Lori... We work really hard around here at developing a sense of family. It's so nice when you see it start to pay off!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Yes awesome brag Lori!!!!!!

M
    M
    I love hearing about your son, Lori! What a sense of humour--that's hilarious.

And how sweet to his sister, too--you must be really proud of your super kid! Be proud of yourself, too, for doing such a great job as mom.

peace
    minnie

It gives my day a lift to hear about your son, Lori!

Yesterday, Mr W was repeating everything DW and I said at dinner. He seems to be on another one of those discontinuities in his ability jumps. It will be interesting to see where he is in a week or two.

Oooooohhhh, I haven't read this thread for awhile, I love all the recent stories!

I have that book, too, Lori. It's a good one!

I
    I
    Thanks Lori - haven't read most of this thread yet - though I hear its a cheerful one !! Very cute!!

DS6 antics this weekend: created a StarWars imperial drop ship out of left over cardboard from toilet rolls that the botanical garden left outside for kids to create binoculars from. It consisted of 2 planes shaped out of pieces of cardboard - designed the same way he makes his Legos - one long vertical piece, one smaller horizontal piece - all stapled together. He had cut, stapled and hole punched a design in the wings. The small ship was attached to the larger ship by a long piece of green ribbon - hence forming the "drop ship". Just cracked me up. So much detail out of old cardboard.

This morning - I arrived at the breakfast table to find a "booby trap" created from a Spiderman toy - which is one of those paddles with an elastic and a small red ball on the end. You're supposed to try and trap the ball in a hole on the top of the paddle. He had instead attached the ball to the paper napkin holder on the table - passed the elastic band through a small vertical crack in our table (where you would insert the table extender) - and the paddle was hanging under the table. His father explained this is because they had been reading "Phatom of the Opera" chapter book and had recently reached the part about the Booby Traps.

Page 32 of 268 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM