Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I loved your post.

I've thought of what to say and its been so painful to read since it brings back memories of my upbringing, I could not write anything coherent or meaningful.

Much of what your DD has gone through, I went through. The schools were almost uniformly horrible. The over sensitivities she has I have and still do to some extent.

Have you though of showing your post to your daughter? Or getting her some books on GT that speak to her?

I never had a chance to discuss this with my mother because she passed away with ALS, and at the end when we could have talked, she was mute, and all we could do was look at each other with love in our eyes.

The unschooling has probably been very good for her because it allowed her to develop without being crippled by the prejudices of the school system.

It was the best you could do at the time and it was the right thing because she would have learned on her own ANY WAY or, worse, been denied the means to teach herself. You kept her out of that prison called school.

We each have instincts that are often more right than our intellectual suppositions. Acting on gut feel but with your eyes open can work better in some situation.

She will grow into an amazing woman.

Last edited by Austin; 03/26/09 02:48 PM. Reason: Added gut feel
    I
    I
    I really sympathise and it was a very moving story - but even though you've had denials - as people above said - you still did things differently and enhanced your daughter's education with real experience. I would think there is a great deal of hope that she will adjust - and I can assure you that the Middle School and high school years of my teenage step daugthers were totally different from their childhood. The eldest still got into college on a scholarship and is doing great! I'm sure your daugther will succeed too.

Thanks for sharing your story. As my DS6 just got the ADHD/ ODD diagnosis too for similar behaviors - its interesting to her your story, see how other scenarios have worked out etc.

N
    N
    I have to say, You have done a good job. I am a mother of a 15 year old gifted son and like you the school wanted to have him graduate when he was 12. I moved schools. I found a good school that would work with his needs. I am a parent first then a teacher. I know the in's and out's of gifted. I know that they are taught at a different level. And they need to be. My son plays football and wrestles but doesn't really hang out with those kids. Instead he would rather go build a rocket then chat about the latest dance. I work with gifted children at the Mid-High I work at and I know that I have to challenge them to get done what they need so that they can be productive in life.
    So give you self a pat on the back. Just remember she is still a child, but a child who thinks like no other.
    Wendy

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM