Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    dagobbz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    -

Last edited by dagobbz; 08/04/18 04:22 AM.
    Welcome dagobbz! I am no master at scores here, but i'm sure someone else will chime in. Here is a nice chart showing different levels of gifted based on scores from the various iq tests:
    Hoagies: what is highly gifted

Your DS's 139 falls into the (HG) Highly Gifted category. And from what you've said about not cooperating for some parts of the test and the ADHD possibility, you could be dealing with a lower than expected score due to that. The 18s could also be ceilings - i think those are the highest numbers you can get in some categories (someone with more score sense please correct me).

It is wonderful that you have a have a friend who works with 2e learners. That will come in handy when your DS is in school.

Again, welcome!

D
    dagobbz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you smile We're actually homeschooling my son, it was what we planned to do before we had children but especially now with the giftedness, Aspergers and other stuff, home ed is definitely the best option by far smile

K
    K
    It's just a number :-) Look past the number and start sucking in the bigger picture of yikes our path with be different. We had the same experience with the picture completion. Our dd then 4.1 kept saying your story is boring - let me tell you my story. Not surprising her processing speed wasn't high - her verbal ceilinged out but she didn't transition to the "non-verbal" without still being verbal :-)

I will say for the zooming part... remember it is all a comparision. Some parts he took more time on other kids might not even be able to get right... the mazes or symbol search stuff (maybe I'm making this up) might be something kids can do just not as fast.

Be sure to make a list of questions for your follow-up session... it is easy to get distracted with the conversation of what this will mean in life beyond the number that you may forget.

D
    dagobbz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    thank you everyone! Yep I know I know it's just a number but I did feel a bit like it wasn't 'accurate' given that my son wasn't answering properly-- I know this is common and I anticipated him being a little uncooperative at times resulting in a lower score but I know it's still a great score and that he can do things like matrix reasoning quite well despite the low score.

The psychologist who did the testing and report is not the same one we are seeing for the Aspergers assessment (the psychologist doing the assessment got her colleague to perform the WPPSI-III so I'm mildly unhappy that I won't be seeing the testing psychologist again to ask her questions).

I don't know why the test score had the +/-6, initially I thought because the tester knew my son wasn't answering on purpose and that he'd score lower because of it, but then why add in the -6? He certainly didn't make any lucky guesses!

Dottie, thanks for explaining about Coding and Symbol Search. I was quite stunned to see how fast my son was doing those, with the accuracy. I was very proud of him because he was happy with his work, in fact when the timer stopped he insisted on finishing smile

D
    dagobbz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    hello everyone, a brief update here (I also posted another update in more detail in another thread I started a long time ago). My son did get an Asperger's diagnosis and since then I've thrown myself in to learning all about it, 2E kids, etc. My husband has since been diagnosed and my daughter too and I am fairly Aspie myself. It's been a great journey discovering more about who I am and why and what I was like as a child (highly gifted with no nurturing whatsoever, which has led to long term confidence, perfectionism, etc issues-- I'm like a walking textbook definition of what happens to gifted girls that are ignored!)

We are having a great time homeschooling and my son is making amazing progress, both with academics and other areas. I'm not really interested in getting him assessed again with WISC now, we'll just happily sail along as we have been. I'm quite certain (and his 2E tutor too) that he would easily score in the exceptionally gifted range but I don't need a test to prove that as it wouldn't really change anything for us.

I was told by the person who did the WPPSI that yes he did hit the ceiling on a few of the subtests and that his 'sillyness' during matrix reasoning lowered that score.

Thank you to everyone who had responded to me smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM