Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    #415 09/11/06 06:47 AM
    S
    S
    WHY WON'T THEY ALLOW HIM TO LEARN AND IMPLEMENT KEYBOARDING FOR HIS WRITTEN WORK?????????? Sorry for the shouting but I'd like to fly out to your state and smack around some of your school officials. I am appalled at the way they are NOT willing to step up and help you son...CLEARLY a boy of great intellectual capability. UGH! *slams head on desk*

M.

"Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not
    interested it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it
    eating." -Anonymous
    #416 09/13/06 11:04 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks! I need that empathetic head slamming!!! Chuckle.

They say he won't learn keyboarding fast enough so they don't want to put efforts there. They will teach him to use an oral word processor, but that is only effective for use outside of the classroom. I've told them he needs to reach written expression with keyboarding asap to allow for notetaking and classroom writing.

Willa Gayle
    #417 09/13/06 11:21 PM
    S
    S
    Yeah so the translation there is "um we don't want to spend the time or effort TEACHING HIM KEYBOARDING so.....too bad for him....." mad mad mad I am sure they find their jobs to be frustrating at times too but WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A CHILD! UGH! *stomps foot* Sorry for the anger coming out lately but really you are not asking them to move mountains here! I say, if you can, teach him the keyboarding at home, when he has it down fairly well, let the school know that he will need a computer station in the classroom so he's able to type his work and you will NOT settle for less. THIS SHOULD BE PART OF HIS IEP! Do these people have credentials? confused I know I sound really mean. *sigh* We don't have it all rosey here and I know I am fortunate to have been able to work out the whole cyber charter deal for my son but it does sadden me that he's missing out on some of the whole traditional school experiance. Yeah, a lot of that "hype" is just that...."hype" and he's happy with his schooling and is well adjusted etc etc. It drives me mad that schools are still jerking people around like you have described. As you can tell I have "issues" with things I can not control....now where did I put that copy of the serenity prayer?? *chuckles* Hang in there Willa! You're the best thing that boy has got!

M.

"Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not
    interested it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it
    eating." -Anonymous
    #418 09/14/06 09:14 PM
    I'm thinking that with Mite's documented disabilities, but have a real lawsuit on your hands. Do you have the energy/money to get a proffesional Parent Advocate involved? Many states have wonderful parent groups for disabled kids in the public school system, have you spoken to yours?
    Love and Prayers,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #419 09/21/06 03:19 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    We have a professional parent advocate. We did win a big argument with the district thanks to the principal who is a decent fellow. We didn't want Mite taking standardized tests because he is physically unable to perform the test. The SPED teacher and director were insisting we had to sign the IEP NOW if we wanted him to skip them. They are taking the tests this week, but the IEP is no where near where it should be. The principal intervened and said it would be ridiculous to take for Mite to take the test when it isn't going to give them the information they need for the school district performance scores or for Mite himself.

It felt so good to finally GET something Mite needed.

Willa Gayle
    #420 09/21/06 12:38 PM
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    Hoooray!! I'm new to this forum but I have read every post (I have issues...LOL). I feel as if I know Mite and I too would love to grab these "officials" and ask them "What are you thinking??"! I'm glad to hear that you have a few people in your corner. Mite is a very lucky boy to have a Mom who is willing to keep fighting. I hope I have half the tenacity.

#421 09/22/06 01:33 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    wow! I just realized I've posted over 100 times since joining this forum in June!!!!

Anyhow, today we made another step forward with the director of testing and assessment for the district. He's going to talk to the team and explain how in spite of the discrepancy in scores the high VCI indicates a very gifted child! He says he's also going to use some of the literature and a simple thing I wrote up explaining the normal curve, standard deviations and score discrepancies for his teacher trainings this fall. I'm get to attend!!!! So, accountability!!!!

Willa Gayle
    #422 09/22/06 02:45 AM
    Wow - that sounds more like it
    101 posts since June - congradulations!
    Smiles,
    Trinity, with 102 plus posts - LOL

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM