Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 28 of 268 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 267 268
    J
    J
    How awesome, shellymos!

I get that same answer when I ask "who taught you that?".

Neato.

I just read your post.
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    So she practices it a few times and laughs and laughs and realizes, she's really going to have this kid on the ropes.

The reason I'm so proud of her, is that after she realizes this, she simply decides she's not going to do it.

Go DD6!!!

That's an enormous decision, especially when you're only 6. I know some adults who could use lessons in taking the high road! I would be bursting at the seams with pride! Congrats DD6!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Go, DD6!

laugh

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Shari
    That's an enormous decision, especially when you're only 6. I know some adults who could use lessons in taking the high road!

Yeah, me too, I know one that goes by Neato! blush I'm afraid to admit that I would have totally supported her if she got in trouble. Mama bear doesn't like seeing little cub getting pushed around. Hey, we are working to have our children do better than us anyway, she is a better woman than me, if only a little wee woman!

Shellymos- Incredible. Can't wait to hear the results of the testing. Sounds like he may blow the lid off several subtests!!!

Originally Posted by skyward
    We use the white cap handles with the gray tabs broken off along with baby gates and an alarm. We have also put bells on the doors so we know if they get down to the door. After DDs past escapes Im not taking any chances.

DS2 is pretty fast. I would rather let him explore, but the minute his feet hit the ground he is gone. I let him out once a few weeks ago and in just a few seconds he made it across the lobby we were in, hit the elevator button, got in and hit door close. Lucky a lady in the elevator opened it and I got him back. He went back in the stroller. Last week I tried letting him out again and as soon as he hit the ground he ran out of the room across the building hit the handy cap button on the door and ran outside. I caught him right before he got to the street!

You are scaring me!! Mr W wants me to pick him up so he can hit the elevator buttons. The other day I noticed that he could reach the buttons inside the elevator at work when he just stood there and pressed them all.

I can see why parents use a stroller. We are more the vagabond type and just don't like to carry much of anything around. I suppose you either go heavy and take stuff or go real light because you have to chase after them!!

Shelly - love the story about DD 20 mos. talking. Adorable.

Skyward - Walmart sells a leash disguised as a back pack. Get it. lol

My brag this week is that DD 26 mos. dazzled her visiting cousins, age 21, 25 and 30. While I was inside, DD explained to them what had happened to a dead bee in the backyard, how he had tried to swim in her pool and had died. "He can't fly or collect pollen on his knees from the flowers any more."

Austin, I had always been more the vagabond type as well, bringing as few supplies as possible. I love the toddler age when they are so excited to explore. It is great fun to follow them around and see how they interact with the world. Enjoy it. Unfortunately with three the stroller is sometimes necessary. I do try to take them places one on one as much as I can. Have you noticed in the elevator the alarm button is the closest to the ground and brightly colored just for little ones? wink

Seablue,I think kid leashes are sad. Knowing my kids they would crawl the whole time so they could pretend they were dogs. I think pushing a stroller and holding two leashes with barking children attached to the ends would draw unwanted attention.

Really though to me the leashes seem disrespectful to the child. No offense to any one who uses them, this is just my opinion. I also want them to learn to listen to my words and develop the self control to stay with me and follow the rules even when they don't feel like it. I know this is a process and DS2 is practicing these things now. When he gets it he will just stay with me. To me this is worth temporary aggravation.
    DS will have a couple one on one outings planed here soon. He needs some practice and some special mommy time with out the baby.

Originally Posted by skyward
    Have you noticed in the elevator the alarm button is the closest to the ground and brightly colored just for little ones?

YUP!!! He pressed that one at the Dr's office!!

This weekend at the Mall, he rode the escalators a lot. He also likes to go up stairs, but refuses to crawl up them. He walks over to them, waits for me, sticks out his hand for me to hold, then starts walking.

JUST 99%!! Hello, gifted denial, LOL!

Your DS IS really smart. I get the freak show comment, though. I'm sure it was meant to be innoculous and funny, but........

I heard a parent talking about their sports talented kid as their: "Little 401K". Yuck!

You'd think a psychiatrist would have a better sense than that of how utterly inappropriate his comments were and the effect they could have on a GT child.

frown

Kriston
    Page 28 of 268 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM