Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 29 of 268 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 267 268
    oh ick ick ick on the 401K comment.

Master of none - 99% is really smart!

Originally Posted by incogneato
    I heard a parent talking about their sports talented kid as their: "Little 401K". Yuck!

A friend played walk-on baseball for a large, well known college team. He was a starter his Sophomore through Senior years, but never went into the minors, though he had offers.

One of his sons can throw a ball very, very far, but he is not pushing him into anything. He talked a lot about parents who spend 10-20K a year on sports for their kids, and how "Can you imagine if they just put that money into savings or land, what they would have when the kid is 21? They think their kid will break into the majors, but that will never happen. The kid may get onto a college team, but that is it."

Oh Skyward, sorry. I hope I didn't offend you.

My DD 27 mos. has had a monkey backpack leash since she could walk. It is her only beloved toy and she loves wearing it. Have you ever seen a child standing in their stroller with their straps on as tight as they go? Our DD never tolerated the stroller.

As for keeping DD with us... forget it. The leash is to keep us with her. lol

Back to bragging... wink

I've been giving DS7 the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) this past week. It's all a walk in the park since I'm not testing above grade level (a choice I find myself regretting AGAIN this year... <eyeroll at self>).

But he and I had both been bracing ourselves for the timed math test. This is not his strong suit. This is the kid who practically broke out in hives when faced with a timed multiplication table test at the beginning of the year. He is deep but not fast, and he really doesn't do well with the pressure of a time limit.

So we got to the timed math portion. Before he took it, I was already consoling myself with "Well, he has done a near-perfect job on everything else on the test. So what if he blows this one subtest? No big deal. We know he's not fast."

HA! grin

The kid had finished all the problems with 3 minutes to spare...out of just *8* minutes total! I'm not sure I could have done it that fast! He did much of it in his head, too, the child I have always said is so visual and always needs to write things down! And unless my math was wrong, I think he got them all right, too!

What an improvement! I'm so proud of how far he's come!

Yay, DS7! Such progress! laugh laugh laugh laugh

Now we just have to persuade his chicken-hearted mom that it's about time for an above-level test... blush

Kriston
    RJH Offline
    I haven't done a formal spelling program with DS2ndgrade yet, because he's a pretty good natural speller. But I decided it was time to start one, so I had him take a placement test to see what level to start with. He's spelling at a 6th grade level! That is 2 levels higher than what I thought.

Last edited by RJH; 03/18/09 07:49 AM.
    Awesome Kriston's DS7! I'll bet he'll love an above level test!

RJH, that's wonderful! I'll bet he was so pleased! Would you mind sharing which spelling test you used, I wouldn't mind gauging DD6's spelling.

Thanks!
    Neato

That's great, RJH! smile

Kriston
    RJH Offline
    We are using Spelling Power. It's nice because the child only has to study the words they don't know. This one book is all you need for 3rd-12th grade. http://www.amazon.com/Spelling-Powe...mp;s=books&qid=1237385878&sr=8-1

H
    H
    Congrats Kriston! This is the day I would pat myself on the back and take all the credit. laugh

YEah Kriston and DS7!!!! WOOHOO!!! We'll do the IOWA on April 9,10.

Page 29 of 268 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM