Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by cym
    I also think there will also be (or already is) a shortage of people who can "do" with their hands (plumbing, electrical, carpentry--not as a profession specifically, but as an ability to help yourself when the need arises).

I saw an interesting interview on kids going to college (I believe on the Today Show). The interview was regarding money, where to save, where to spend, etc...

I don't remember the exact numbers given, but it was something like almost 80% of high school graduates go on to a liberal arts college (for at least a year), and by the end of two years, more than 40% of those drop out of college. And in reality, only the top 20% of high school graduates should go to college (liberal arts education), possibly the top 30%, but the bottom 40% should be encouraged to go to trade schools and apply for internships right away. It also stated that the top 10-15% really don't need a formal education or a college degree because they would be able to do any job they want (in other words, figure it out without taking formal classes) and would be better off going to take classes to get certain certifications.

Anyway, I found it interesting for a few reasons.

1. People always ask me why I do not have college funds opened for either of my two kids. One reason is both sets of grandparents have them open already, and the other is that I am not going to push either child to go to a 4 year liberal arts college to get a degree in underwater basket weaving. I also know that both of my children need to be involved in their education, and they need to put forth the effort to go to college (i.e., do what THEY can to get scholarships, etc...). While they are my children, and I want them to go to college and succeed in life, having a college degree doesn't make one successful.

2. I have a college degree, and the only thing it has gotten me is a large amount of debt (student loans). I was naive about scholarships, went to college before the HOPE scholarship, and loved learning so much that my major became "lifetime college student".

3. My degree is in education, yet I am an accountant (with no business, accounting degree). Because I catch on quickly, I am able to pick up on how to do things easily and do not need the "formal education" to figure it out.

4. My husband is one of those college students that dropped out after 2 years. He is so mechanically inclined. He is a physics NUT, and he works in the electronics field. A four year degree from a liberal arts college should not have been the route he took after high school. Trade school should've been the first step. He, of course, is looked down on by society because he's a college drop out with no formal education, etc... but he's so extremely smart in the physical sciences that it blows my mind. He's a "doer", and if either or both of my children become "doers", I will not be upset one bit. smile

Anyway, sorry to hijack and go off on a tangent.

/off soapbox

J
    J
    Oh, and Kerry, that is the reason I chose not to teach... my brother as well. Teachers no longer are in control of their classrooms. The administration is too top heavy, and parents, well, let's just say parents... wink Kids see school as a social zone, and not a learning zone. They don't respect each other or their teachers. It's a very "it's my world" type attitude... definitely different than 30, 50+ years ago.

D
    D
    I find your tangent interesting. I agree with much of what you said and never assume that someone without a B.A/S. is less intelligent than someone with a M.A/S. I am generally impressed by a PhD though, especially if earned before age thirty.

In the past year, I served on an interview board. The applicants primarily had MBAs and other management type post graduate degrees with perfect GPAs. The two 3.something GPAs belonged to the applicant with a MS in biology and the applicant with a MA/S from a prestigious university. The required standardized test showed great variance amongst all with the two non-perfect GPA applicants at the top of that stratification.

I don't remember the exact numbers given, but it was something like almost 80% of high school graduates go on to a liberal arts college (for at least a year), and by the end of two years, more than 40% of those drop out of college. And in reality, only the top 20% of high school graduates should go to college (liberal arts education), possibly the top 30%, but the bottom 40% should be encouraged to go to trade schools and apply for internships right away. It also stated that the top 10-15% really don't need a formal education or a college degree because they would be able to do any job they want (in other words, figure it out without taking formal classes) and would be better off going to take classes to get certain certifications.

And herein lies the problem w/ NCLB. They assume that everyone needs to go to college. They don't. That is something created by our society by not respecting those trade jobs which do not require a college degree. Now, a college degree is not needed to do a particularly job, but it is used to weed out applicants. So many drop out of college, or make it through with no real plans but a TON of student loan debt they can't pay back. or else, by paying back the loans, you can't afford a car or house payment. I don't think everyone needs to go to college - this has only resulted in college being watered down. Not everyone needs to take Algebra in highschool - that has resulted in Algebra being watered down.

If you want everyone to limbo beneath the bar, you have to raise the bar. Now do you need to have everyone be able to limbo beneath the bar for everyone to have fun at the party? Nope.

Originally Posted by giftedticcyhyper
    This is a topic that I've been thinking about a lot lately and you sound informed. What do you make of the teachers in other countries? Do they tend to be bright and educated? Here, in my personal experience (my own primary/secondary education and my kid's thus far), teachers often fall into their line of work. Do people aspire to positions in education in the four other countries that you're experienced with? Are they appropriately compensated?

Well, it depends on the country, but mostly, yes, teachers are those that strive to get there. In many countries the pay is even worse than it is here (even taking into account the differences in standards of living) and no one in the education field gets paid above the local poverty level. In fact in Turkey there are whole neighborhoods, as well as hostels around the country for teachers and their families to live and vacation in that are subsidized by the government because the pay is so bad.
    In the Philippines the teacher has a great deal of power in the villages because they are often one of the few educated people there, so it is quite an honor to be a teacher.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM