Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 27 of 268 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 267 268
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    And don't even get me started on the 4yo asking me about division today in the car because he already gets addition and subtraction up to several digits, and even gets the basics of multiplication already, figuring one- and 2-digit problems there. He's just blowing my mind with the math! ...He's pretty much learning all of arithmetic in something like 3 months... eek

That sounds just like my DS4, he has always been into math, skip counting, adding subtracting. But in the fall he got really into multiplication and division. It was really fun watching his mind work...it always is.

About DS4, he is on his last day of testing today. The psychologist told me what a wonderful boy he is and obviously how he is bright, but what meant a lot to me is that she talked about how caring and empathatic he is. That is so important to me. He really is quite cute. The other day while I was waiting for him to do his testing I was trying to figure out some cube thing in the waiting room (you know those puzzles where you make cubes out of the blocks), anyhow he came back out and saw that I hadn't finished and that instead I was reading a book. He said "did you quit mom?" I hesitated and said "well yes, I worked at it for a while and couldn't get it so I took a break" He said "it's okay mom, really...that happens to me sometimes too."

And with my DD20 months she is talking so much more now. It is cute. This morning on the way out to the car she was imitating bird calls and I said "you like the birdies?" and she yelled out "I love you birdies!" And a few mornings ago I started giving her her own bowl of cereal so she doesn't have to eat all mine. So she kept wanting mine. I pointed and said "this is your cereal, and this one is mommies cereal" Then she clearly states "I want mommies cereal" I am really enjoying her talking and telling us what she wants (most of the time), LOL.

I love the kindness and empathy, too, Shelly. I think that's so important. Great story!

It's like my mom always said, It's nice to be smart, but it's smart to be nice." laugh

Kriston
    Great stories!!!

I love to listen to the the birds.

We use the white cap handles with the gray tabs broken off along with baby gates and an alarm. We have also put bells on the doors so we know if they get down to the door. After DDs past escapes Im not taking any chances.

DS2 is pretty fast. I would rather let him explore, but the minute his feet hit the ground he is gone. I let him out once a few weeks ago and in just a few seconds he made it across the lobby we were in, hit the elevator button, got in and hit door close. Lucky a lady in the elevator opened it and I got him back. He went back in the stroller. Last week I tried letting him out again and as soon as he hit the ground he ran out of the room across the building hit the handy cap button on the door and ran outside. I caught him right before he got to the street!

On a happier note DD6m is standing. She pulled herself up and was holding onto the side of our bed this evening. I have been surrounding her with pillows so she will have soft landings. These kids just amaze me. I need to get her a baby book so I can write this stuff down. I am bummed that my camera doesn't work. DS climbed up the shelving unit, took the camera down stairs and buried it in sand. If I catch the baby pulling her self up again maybe I can take a picture with my cell phone.

Okay, I have a brag about DD6. There is a very smart little boy in her class that is repeatedly busting her chops. Or at least that's how she sees it! grin

I guess he's always *quizzing* her with math problems and he'll laugh at her if she doesn't know the answer right away. She's really the type of kid that shuts down under this type of aggressive behavior.

So today she decides she's going to give him a math question. She decides to string about 10 multi digit numbers together into a multiplication problem and say it very quickly to see if he can get it. Obviously, most 7 yo won't be able to figure 95*1200*354*9576*99*78564, right? Except, she decides she's going to slip a zero in there so when he doesn't know the answer, she can say Zero! Duh!

So she practices it a few times and laughs and laughs and realizes, she's really going to have this kid on the ropes.

The reason I'm so proud of her, is that after she realizes this, she simply decides she's not going to do it.

I thought that showed amazing maturity and restraint. More restraint than I would have, BTW! I was tired of seeing her downtrodden little face after he hazed her!

Go DD6!!!

S
    S
    That is great Neato! I can just see her cracking herself up at this wonderful plan she had. And what amazing restraint! That is truly incredible. You should be quite proud!

Thanks Shelly! I couldn't be more proud! I say cherish each moment. They're 6 months, then they're 6 years and I'm sure I'll blink and she'll be driving! It goes so fast!

YEs, that shows great maturity!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Thanks Shelly! I couldn't be more proud! I say cherish each moment. They're 6 months, then they're 6 years and I'm sure I'll blink and she'll be driving! It goes so fast!

ahh..that makes me a little teary. So true. I was singing to DD last night and rocking her before bed and thinking about her growing up. Of course DS4 wanted me to carry him to bed last night up the stairs. Holy cow, he is like 50 pounds. Every time I do it (lately maybe once a week or every other) I tell him "this may be the last night because you just keep growing!"

Anyhow on a brag note, this morning DS was doing Math equations outloud (a regular breakfast occurance at our house). He starts adding negative numbers...which kind of surprised me (we have never talked much about negative numbers...and certainly not equations with negative numbers). So then he says "So then -5 - (-6) = 1" (he paused for a couple seconds in between to figure it out. I was quite confused as to how he knew that. I asked him "who taught you that" and he gives me his usual "no one did, I just figured it out" That is just so odd to me. He went on to explain to me that he knew he was right because he was subtracting a negative, but that if he was adding a negative it would be a bigger negative. Yikes.

I still remember when I was a few years old than him and someone said to me "what is 2-3?" And I proudly said "you can't do that...there is no answer" and then he shocked me by saying "it's negative 1, there are numbers under 0" I remember feeling shocked...like I had been deceived all that time, LOL. And there is just one of the many differences between me and DS4, LOL.

WOW shellymos! That's terrific! I recalled being shocked when my 5yr old did that!

Page 27 of 268 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM