Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    My 8-year-old is going through the GATE screening process at school. Yesterday the GATE teacher had her whole class do a creativity test. The kids were given several different shapes and told to draw one or more pictures with them. My DD drew a detailed beach scene. She made a crab from the hexagon, a towel out of the squiggly lines, a moat for her sandcastle out of the semicircle, and a boy on his knees in the sand out of the other shape. From her description, it sounds very detailed and creative, but how is this scored?

I'm confused, and this whole process bothers me!

Sounds like a nice picture. Not sure how this is scored, and I would take every group IQ test with a grain (ok a bucket) of salt.

It would be ideal if every GATE screening test used tests that correlated with the type of program being offered. If the program stresses creativity, then creativity tests are appropriate. If the program is heavily into math, then screening for math interest/ability is appropriate. There should probably be many different programs for the many different strengths kids have.....that's more of a goal than a reality.

Smiles,
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I'm glad you said that. It seems as though any scoring method on this would have to be somewhat subjective. The school system can use any three performance indicators in the matrix, so why creativity? I don't really understand the process. It seems as though they don't really tailor the screening process to fit the kid's strengths at all. Oh, well. I'll stop ranting now.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM