Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 26 of 268 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 267 268
    DS6 was "arguing" with a couple of second graders today. Apparently they were insisting that it was a number to which he kept his head and just replied "no, it's not a number, it's a concept". smile

JB

(He seems to be very interested in returning to learning more math so we've been doing more after schooling)

DD-almost-3 was listening to ds8 discourse on the various yu-gi-oh cards and their properties. He paused for a few minutes to check something out the window (I was driving). When he started up again, he said, 'She's completely weak! Completely weak!', referring to a female character on one of the cards.
    Dd assumed this was about her, so she said 'I am not completely WEAK and I'm not completely powerful!' I thought, that's a pretty good command of 'opposites'.

Austin, we use those white caps that go over the door knobs to keep the littl'un in the house because she's been trying for quite a while too.
    I remember my mother had a story about finding me halfway down the block in just my diapers...but I was the 5th kid, so I could definitely see having plenty of time to 'work the problem' of the door knob.

Yes we use those Chris for the basement door. They work well.

Yeah on the opposites! I love those moments listening to the siblings interact.

L
    L
    My son couldn't walk and could barely pull himself up at that age because of the mild motor learning disability and muscle weakness, but he could communicate very well to me where he wanted to go and what he wanted to look at. He always wanted to know what everything was and he was just such a happy, smiling little baby (once he got over the colic) that he could always find someone to carry him where he wanted to go. He could see things that couldn't be seen as well at walking level so I don't think it bothered him too much that he couldn't walk. I had to do the walking for him for a while but he never needed any help with talking and the talking all the way home sounds familiar and wanting to play with older kids definitely sounds familiar, but all he could do was watch.

His sister took him to a Dave and Busters in Dallas when we last visited her and even though he tells me all the time that he isn't really a kid anymore, he enjoyed it and he wants me to go with him next time.

My former cheerleader daughter was the coordinated kid in my family that could sneak out of the house. She did this once at a babysitter's house when I think she was about 18 months old. When I went to pick her up I found her wandering around by herself in the front yard of the babysitter's house. I immediately found a daycare for her with more people available to keep an eye on her.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    OH No Austin! There was just a news story sadly about a 3yr that let himself out of the house in only a diaper and t-shirt. He froze to death. Very tragic.

We are getting door boopers to help out here at home.

Saturday I was in the family bathroom at the mall with him and he opened the door while I was occupied. crazy

Originally Posted by Chris
    Austin, we use those white caps that go over the door knobs to keep the littl'un in the house because she's been trying for quite a while too.

Our babysitter has arthritis and the front door is a latch, not a knob, so it would not help there and would hinder her otherwise. Mr W can take things apart and can operate the wheel on a mouse now so I am not sure how long the doorknob things would stop him. He can almost climb out of his crib - I caught him trying to get his leg up this weekend. We had to take the stuffed toys out as he was standing on one to get extra height.

Last edited by Austin; 03/09/09 11:52 AM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    we use those white caps that go over the door knobs to keep the littl'un in the house

DD2 learned to open them at about 18mo! She also learned to defeat the loop lock that goes around the knobs on the cabinet doors under the sink- she just unscrewed the knobs! The boys were never that industrious, both kinds of locks stopped them just fine, but she is determined, lol.

We have slide bolts installed at about 5 ft. DS3 has figured out how to get around the handle things.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    GS9 nonchalantly mentioned his teacher presenting some new material, and he said, "I already know that, my gramma told me how to do it." Evidently that is a common phrase he uses because the teacher asked, "Is there anything you've learned at school?" He said he thought a few seconds and said, "Sure, I've learned one or two things."
    I hope she knows he wasn't being mouthy, just truthful!

LOL, OHG! Honesty IS the best policy! laugh

I have one for each of my kids to share, too:

There's a museum in the general area that has a Surrealism exhibit now. So I asked if DS7 was interested. He just about jumped out of his seat he was so excited!

When a 7yo is fired up about going to the art museum because he thinks Salvador Dali's work is interesting to study, that's cool! We did some with Surrealism last year, but he seems to be getting it on a deeper level this year. It's good.

I think he's just so fun to talk to. He is interested in so many things. I'm a very proud Mom!

And don't even get me started on the 4yo asking me about division today in the car because he already gets addition and subtraction up to several digits, and even gets the basics of multiplication already, figuring one- and 2-digit problems there. He's just blowing my mind with the math! It's so different from the way his brother presented as GT, but it's pretty unmistakable now. He's pretty much learning all of arithmetic in something like 3 months... eek

To those who cry "GT denial"...I don't think I was in GT denial before. I think he just wasn't showing yet. But if I was in denial before, I'm not now!

Kriston
    OHG - LOL (how is that for shorthand?) Yes, I do hope she knows he was being truthful and not mouthy.

Kriston - I just love watching their minds develop!

Page 26 of 268 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM