Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    D
    D
    They psychologist who tested my son on the SB5 told me to choose the WISC-IV if I needed a high score. I chose the SBV instead only because I wanted proof for math subject acceleration.

DS was already a YS, although I didn't mention that to the psych. He most likely thought I was looking for a 130 (rather than 145+)for some GT identification. Kriston, too bad your son can't take the WISC III!

Last edited by delbows; 12/06/07 08:58 AM.
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS has the Achievement test scores--he blew the WJ away: 159 Total Achievement, just to name one...But he was over 150 in 3 of the "big 4" areas, and was at 144 in the 4th. He's YSP all the way in achievement scores. No question.

I'm wondering if I could submit the SBV with this article and see what they think. This part in particular made me wonder:

"As this article was being written, Riverside Publishing was in the process of posting a suggested gifted cutoff that allows use of the Abbreviated Battery, either the Nonverbal or Verbal IQ alone, the Gifted Composite score, or a combination of ability domain scores to be valid in assessing giftedness."

His "Fluid Reasoning" score (which I assume uses the verbal and nonverbal subtests, right?) was "147+". His full-scale score was "134+" without adaptation. (The pluses are the tester's, not mine.) The noverbal knowledge subtest and both working memory subtests are what pulled him down.

How sticky is YSP about the second test score? If you have one qualifying score, are they flexible on the second?

...Or maybe we should just bite the bullet, pay for the WISC and see what happens...

...and I'm still churning away on what to submit in a portfolio...How does one show HG+ in a 6yo who isn't writing novels or doing calculus yet? confused

Kriston
    D
    D
    The requirement was "within two years" when my son applied.

I don�t know how insistent they are for both. I would think they need both, but others here have indicated they have heard of some flexibility.

My son had taken the SB-IV a year and a half prior to applying for DYS. When I learned of the program, I took him in for WIAT testing.

He met the criteria for both, so I asked his first grade teacher to write a letter of recommendation. When his assistant principle heard we were applying, she volunteered to write a second letter of recommendation.

My daughter�s verbal score (at the time) fell one point short of qualification and some of her WIAT scores fell at the 99+ percentile. I didn�t chase the scores for her because she seemed to fit her school situation after a single skip to a new school. We were desperate to find support for our son though. Both kids have benefited since his acceptance to the program.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Really, last I checked, they said 2 years?

Yes, that's still what the website says. Has this changed?

I hope not! It takes me 6 months to do ANYTHING lately. By the time I got started on the application, I'd be late! frown

Last edited by Kriston; 12/06/07 10:12 AM. Reason: Oops, our paths crossed there!

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    That helps, delbows. Thanks! And thanks to you, too, Dottie.

We're trying to figure out what to do next year. Public school is off the table. It just won't cut it for him, we don't believe. So do we plunk down the $$$ for private school, gifted school, or do we home school again?

Dunno...Maybe YSP could help us figure it out.

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yup. I'm feeling like I should get on the stick here! smile

I just wish I knew what to put in a portfolio...I've considered just videotaping EVERYTHING and then finding a stretch of video that shows him, well, being himself! But that's so random!

*sigh*

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    So do we plunk down the $$$ for private school, gifted school, or do we home school again?

Dunno...Maybe YSP could help us figure it out.

Maybe yes, maybe no, but I'm sure that they aren't giving out any easy answers to these questions. If you go with a private school, sit and observe the goings on in the class they would put him in.

I've forgotten what your status with professional testing, but this is just the sort of thing that experienced testers sell as their usefulness.

from http://www.amendpsych.com/faqs.html#question_1
    once the results are obtained, a psychologist with a background in giftedness can discuss these in the context of giftedness, specifying how these results will impact school performance and personal adjustment. This psychologist can then provide specific recommendations for you, your child, and his/her education.

shruggs,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students