Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    acs Offline
    Kritson,
    I have struggled with the Davidson question for my DS, who I think is a level 4 on a good day and a high 3 on a bad day. I would have thought that he would qualify based what he is able to do and when he has been able to do it, but he has never had the scores to prove it, due to various issues with the testing (mostly ceiling stuff and boredom with certain subscales of the WISC, but also someone who gave him the wrong subtests!). I haven't wanted to apply through portfolio because I figured that they would probably follow-up asking for more testing, which I didn't want to do for a while. So that all leaves me, like you, wondering if he "should" be in Davidson or if I am overperceiving my child's abilities.

The truth is that Davidson has a hard job in deciding who to accept and who not to. They get many applications each month. The tests are not anywhere close to perfect at discrimiting between children at the higher levels of gifted. I like to think that kids who are at the highest levels will easily meet the criteria, but kids with lower-highs (probably the medium 3's to lowish 4's) are going to be a difficult call. Some will meet their criteria and others may not. It isn't like there really can be a firm line that is drawn; everyone above is a DYS and everyone below isn't. Kids are all different from each other and they have different results based on the test, the day, the tester etc. There is just a continuum and a few somewhat inaccurate tools for measuring it. And there are more kids around the cut-off scores than there are at the highest levels. And they make the decisions based on paper applications, not from meeting the kids (which would be impossible to do). As I said, I think they have a hard job.

What we have decided is to have DS take those tests which will help us with other issues and if we finally get the score that meets DYS criteria, we will apply. But if we don't, as you say, he's still our kid and we love him just the way he is.

For us, in the end, our son's personality and interests have probably guided us more than the test scores.

Last edited by acs; 11/04/07 08:54 PM.
    Hi Kriston,
    I'm thinking that it's a good idea to apply to YSP as is - and be sure to include the report (highlighted maybe) that the tester would like to drop the subtest. YSP really does understand the sometimes deeper thinking DOES lead to lower test scores.

My son got a "9" on a subtest If WISC III, but he qualified because all his variability was on the performance side, and the verbal side had the uniform high. I'm not sure if SB-V has "sides" or some informal equivalent.

My guess is that for every kid who has qualifing scores, there are 3 more who are so close! My dream is that we can all met here and support each other. In a way, every one of these kids are quite different from eachother, but in a way the story is so similar:

1) Other kids don't get them
    2) Many teacher don't get them
    3) Local friends don't get them, or YOU!
    4) The have special educational needs, that may or may not be able to be met in a regular or modified environment.

I'm so glad you are able to homeschool for now, and I have hopes that by the time he gets to Middle School material, there will be a way for him to enjoy the benifits of "bricks and mortar" schools IF that turns out to be who he is.

Remember that according to "normal development" it is impossible for elelementary aged kids to do abstract reasoning. So in many places nothing that is taught in elementary school is taught that way. As my son goes through 7th grade, I see the school is adding bits of this kind of thinking to their expectations, slowly and carefully, but each drop is like precious water to my DS11.

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Thanks Dottie -
    I pulled the 1:3 number out of the air - but then again - that's my special gift!
    Trinity

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, all! Very helpful! I think I'll wait for the formal report from the psychologist, take another look at the requirements for YSP, and then decide if I should apply now or not. The tester did actually suggest that I submit the WJ-III scores now so that Davidson would be less likely to ask us to re-test on those. But I dunno...I'm with ACS that I think I should have the numbers to back me up before we make a move. There's no reason to clog up the Davidson maibox if DS isn't meeting the requirements. And since I wouldn't know what to include in a portfolio...

I did go back and take another hard look at Dr. Ruf's book with DS6's baby book in hand, and I'm sure he's a level 4 at least. With the actual dates in front of me, not just working from memory, it's clear to me that he's not a level 3, and his dates don't line up with the level 5 as well as they do with the level 4s. But his curiosity is mind-blowing. I wonder if he might be one of those "floater" kids who moves back and forth between 4 and 5, depending on his interest in the subject matter. Just last night--with a 101-degree fever!--he asked about what causes feedback loops, why green beans are classified as a vegetable rather than a fruit even though they have seeds inside like fruit, how our eyes work, and how language originated.

When I'm sick, all I want to do is turn my brain off and watch "Law and Order" reruns! But DS wants to learn! About everything! All the time! LOL!

Kriston
    Kriston -
    All the above post is exactly what goes into a portfolio. A 30 day question log might be just the thing. I would certianly add the milestones, as they are familiar with Dr.Ruf's work. Please don't worry about clogging them up - there have a mission to serve and the more we show who we are the better they can develop that mission.

((shrug)) Who knows - not me!
    I just know that as they get older, and more self consious, it can be harder to get a clear picture of what is going on.
    smiles -
    Trinity

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Really? That's what goes in the portfolio? I hadn't considered DS's questions and that kind of stuff for a portfolio, Trinity. I figured it would have to be worksheets and artwork and that sort of thing.

Okay, now I'm thinking portfolio might be the way to go for us. It certainly beats chasing a test score. (Gag.) At least then I'd feel like the committee got a true look at what DS is capable of. He's in or out on his own merits and actual accomplishments. That's good!

Aside from the "regular" milestones ala Ruf, excerpts from his baby book as they seem to apply, and his test scores, what else would you put in a portfolio?

I've got a photo of DS as a baby, propped up in his Boppy and studying a book. The interest in his eyes is unmistakable...and worth 1000 words! Maybe the photos I took of his drawings of cars on his magnetic drawing board when he was about a year old? (I think? I made sure to date the photos, but I can't recall now when he was drawing them. He seemed really young to be creating recognizable images, that I know...)

What else goes in?

Hmmm...I must put some thought into this now...

Thanks, Trinity! Very helpful, as always! smile

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    It does help lots, Jill. Thanks! Obviously I wasn't thinking creatively enough on this portfolio thing. As you say, even most PG kids aren't writing novels at age 6! LOL!

Our DS does have the achievement test scores to qualify him for YSP, just not quite the IQ scores, so portfolio probably does make perfect sense in our case.

Boy, this has been an exceptionally helpful day on the forum! laugh

Kriston
    acs Offline
    If you have one score that qualifies, then I agree you should submit a portfolio. We actually had a WJ3 that qualified, but waited for more info. When we finally decided to apply, though, they had updated the criteria and no longer accepted the subtests in which DS had qualified and he had not done the subtests they do accept. So there can be a down-side to waiting!

The point of my earlier post wasn't to discourage applications, but only to make sure that you (and others reading this) weren't entirely defering to the Davidson admission folks to help you decide how gifted you child is. That cluster of kids around the cut-off (the ones who get in and the ones who don't), as Trinity says, are quite similar in the issues they are facing. So whether your child gets in or not, if this board meets your needs, then you probably have a highly gifted kid, regardless of their paper scores.

D
    D
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gifted+and+highly+gifted+students%3a+how+do+they+score+on+the+SB5%3f-a0150850213

Here is an article regarding the highly gifted and SB5 scores.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Interesting. It looks like DS6 probably does need to take the WISC then if we're going to be able to confirm my observations of his level of giftedness, huh? This article certainly makes it appear that it's unlikely for even established HG+ kids to score 145 or above on SB5.

I'm still mulling over the portfolio for YSP. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to include that will definitively mark him as HG+ and not "just" MG. Test scores are so much more cut-and-dried...

*sigh*

Kriston
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM