Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #40590 03/09/09 10:51 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi there. I posted this question on another board, and thought I'd try here too. My daughter is going through the second phase of gifted testing at her public school. Her scores on the initial SAGES-2 testing were: 131 reasoning (98%), 124 math/science (95%) 137 language (99%). My question is this. Does a child have to score above the 98% in every area to be considered gifted? We must wait until the end of the school year to find out if she makes it into the program. However, I have been offerred a position at a private school that she would also attend if she doesn't get into the program at her current school. Unfortunately, it's not financially feasible for me to accept the job at the private school unless she is able to go because tution will be free. Also, for those whose children may have taken the SAGES as a pre-screening method for the gifted program, did the Sages results correspond with other results your child received? I know my girl is really bright and gifted in reading (she recently tested at an 8th grade level). She also did really well on the Stanford Test she took in kindergarten. However, I'm not really sure if she wil be considered gifted by the school system.

Any help you can lend will be appreciated.

mom2sofia #40602 03/09/09 11:51 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I guess I should write that the total available "points" on this test is 145. At least, on the section where scores are plotted, it only goes up to 145. Thanks!

mom2sofia #40608 03/09/09 12:23 PM
    Hi mom2sofia - welcome! I'm afraid I don't know anything about the sages test. But each school/district tends to have its own idea of what scores will qualify for its gifted program. I would check with the school what its cutoffs are, and if they require qualifying scores from each section. Those are very great scores though!

Dottie #40635 03/09/09 03:12 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks SO, SO, SO much for your responses. They were very helpful and reassuring. Though, today, my daughter met with someone in school who "exercised her brain," and had her do things like put together puzzles, pick out "silly" and realistic things in pictures and define words. She said that it was REALLY, REALLY hard. And, she said that there were some questions that she didn't even try to answer because they were too difficult. Of course this now has me yet again wondering if I should take the job at the private school.

Funny thing is, while I always knew my girl was brilliant (doesn't every mom believe this about her child?), I didn't really think much about her entering the gifted program. However, in the past few weeks, since I've learned she has a chance to do so, I REALLY, REALLY want her to get in. Of course it doesn't hurt that the gifted teacher at her new school has a fabulous reputation.

There seems to be an air of secrecy surrounding the gifted program at her school. There is no general screening of children, and if Sofia makes it in, it will only be the second time in the school's history that a first grader has done so. While the Social Worker that I met with during the parent interview was very kind, she wasn't very forthcoming in letting me know what factors actually play a role in a child making it into the gifted program. I really wasn't given an opportunity to ask a lot of questions, and, to be honest, I did no research before the meeting, so I didn't know what to ask anyway. Though, I was tempted to call her and ask more about the general requirements of entry into the program, I didn't want to seem like an overbearing mom. I was even told that we will not be able to get the results from the iq tests performed the school district's psych., and instead will only see where she falls at on the "curve."

Yes Dottie, her teacher at her previous school told me that she "maxed out" on the STAR test in December, whatever that means, though I don't recall ever getting those results. In January, I did receive results labeled "Scientific Learning Progress Tracker" (not sure of reliability of this test)and she was assessed at a grade equivalent of 8.3 , getting a 100% in every subcomponent. I would certainly not say that she is actually reading on an 8th grade level though because she hasn't even tried to read at that level yet, rather she has really good comprehension and deciphering skills. She is a voracious reader consistently, scores a 10 out of 10 on AR quizes at the 5th and 6th grade level. It's difficult enough finding age appropriate books at this level.

Again, thanks so much for your responses. It makes this momma feel good that other moms can offer encouragement without thinking that I am being boastful. Sorry for posting so much information. Once I started, I just couldn't stop. smile smile smile

mom2sofia #40639 03/09/09 03:40 PM
    You just go right ahead.... We even have a "brag" thread. It does feel good, doesn't it?!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #40641 03/09/09 03:49 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I have a big, huge smile plastered across my face Shari. In the words of my daughter's newest obsession, Little Orphan Annie, "I think I'm gonna like it here!"

mom2sofia #40642 03/09/09 03:53 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Wow Shari, I just saw in your signature block that you have six children--- TOO Cool! As the baby of five, I've always wanted a big family, though we've only been blessed with one so far. We too are considering fostering, and possibly even adopting. How rewarding it must be to "rescue" a child and possibly show him/her real love for the first time ever!

Dottie #40647 03/09/09 04:30 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hmmmm.... I really should have paid more attention to the teacher Dottie, maybe it was the Scientific Learning she maxed out on and the STAR test she tested on an 8.3 level??????? No, but I do distinctly remember getting that other score from the Scientific Learning. I feel like a heel that I didn't pay too much attention to these reports. It's not that I didn't care, it's just that before we entered the gifted arena, it really didn't matter so much. And, my girl had some social issues like crying in class every day if she wasn't chosen as line leader, student of the day, etc., that took up most of our focus. I even considered putting he back in kindergarten because with a Sept. 30 birthday, she was the youngest in her class. Thank God, she's matured a lot and we don't have to face these things anymore. Now, I find myself regretting that I didn't pay more attention to those placement test results. Not that actually knowing where she placed would get her into the gifted program, but......

Dottie #40686 03/09/09 07:45 PM
    I think that if the scores go in your child's file, you have a legal right to see them.

Obviously I wouldn't make a big stink about this right now, but if I were you, I'd definitely be getting my hands on those scores eventually, regardless of whether she's in the GT program or not!

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM