Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Falling down on the job Dottie......!LOL

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Austin,
    I looked up Deborah Ruf and printed out a copy of her estimated levels of giftedness. After both my husband and I read it we're a bit more blown away by what we think. It appears to us that our DD is either a 3 or 4 (we don't agree), but either way it leads us to believe that she is extremely gifted. (Which we had been thinking anyway) Now it has made us more frustrated with how slowly her school is moving to get her tagged as GT so they can write an ALP for her and start addressing her needs.
    I'm waiting for one of the other books to come in to our library.
    Thanks for the info. It can be overwhelming when you're new to this and have more questions than answers and aren't really sure where to start.

Kerry.... It's overwhelming when your not quite so new too!!

I keep waiting for that feeling to go away!

Shari
    Kerry,

Glad you enjoyed the book! It sure is overwhelming, but it beats stabbing around in the dark.

Best place to start is to start your own topics here and see what happens. With DD, just starting to understand you 'deviant' she is from the mean will help you really see her with your own eyes, and leave the 'but everyone knows that' behind.

Since each child is unique, it's not that these books have the answers, it's more that they help one overcome the conditioning we have all been subject to that shut down our own powers of observation and ability to make plans and monitor them.

Welcome Dear! I'm so glad we're here for you!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Well we had our PTC with DD6's teachers. (Just as a recap - she is straddling kinder and gr 1 with reading and math in gr 1 and the rest of the day in kinder) I am happy to report it went really really well. laugh Both teachers were there and explained that she is actually doing gr 2 work while she is in gr 1 now and is doing great at it. They did the Nnat last week but do not have the results yet. And otherwise she is fine. So, we then told them that we'd done more research and "found" (thanks to you guys) Ruf's levels of giftedness and showed them the relevent pages. And that without having an IQ score to add to our thought, we think that she is either a 3 or a 4 level. To which both teachers said WOW really? (We now had their full attention) We then asked about getting an IQ test done and found out that the district has someone who does them and if she can't do it the principal at DD's school is actually trained as a school psych and can do them! (And she is willing to do one too in light of our thoughts on her level.) We then floated the idea of DD moving up to gr 1 fulltime now for the rest of the year and then moving onto 2nd gr in the fall. (Fully understanding that that may not be enough, but lets get them on board with this first.) Everyone is in agreement, so we just have to talk to DD and then we're good to go! smile
    I had to laugh to myself at one point though because when we mentioned that DD thinks she should be moved to gr 3 or 4 so it will be hard enough for her, the principal said "well, speaking as a parent, I would be concerned with moving my child too much because what if that means they graduate at age 16 - then what?" I thought I handled it well by saying that we were focusing on the present and would worry aobut the future at a later date.
    Thanks again to all of you who gave me advise so far - this is a great board.

Thats Awesome Kerry!

This board has helped me tremendously. There is tons of knowledge here and many different perspectives. Keep us posted!!

Shari
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    Well we had our PTC with DD6's teachers. (Just as a recap - she is straddling kinder and gr 1 with reading and math in gr 1 and the rest of the day in kinder) I am happy to report it went really really well. laugh ..... We then floated the idea of DD moving up to gr 1 fulltime now for the rest of the year and then moving onto 2nd gr in the fall. (Fully understanding that that may not be enough, but lets get them on board with this first.) Everyone is in agreement, so we just have to talk to DD and then we're good to go! smile

A bit more to the tale..... DD6 was just about busting out of herself when we asked if she wanted to go into 1st grade fulltime. She was so excited and happy to have been listened to it was great. She is officially a 1st grader as of today laugh. The teacher was really happy that she decided to move up and really shared in DD's excitement about it this morning, which was good to see.

The principal also said that the district person is willing to do an IQ test, but not until May because she has too many other tests to give in the nearer future. So now we're trying to decide if we should wait or if we should push the school prinicpal to do it earlier. Any thoughts?

T
    T
    CONGRATS ON THE MOVE UP!!!!

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    The principal also said that the district person is willing to do an IQ test, but not until May because she has too many other tests to give in the nearer future. So now we're trying to decide if we should wait or if we should push the school prinicpal to do it earlier. Any thoughts?

If your daughter is happy with her new placement and doing well, I'd just wait it out. May isn't all that far away and it will be helpful with placement for fall. They probably aren't really likely to suggest you make another change before the end of the year anyway. It seems like the school is really trying to work with you which is a great sign for the future! Good for you. If your daughter is miserable and hating to go to school, you may want to reconsider seeing if you can push for it earlier or use an independent tester.

Ok, It's me again with another update. This one not so good. When I went to pick up DD6 from 1st grade today she barely made it to me at the bottom of the stairs before falling into my arms crying about how horrible 1st gr is and how she doesn't want to be a first grader anymore etc etc.

Eventually it came out that they don't have snack time in 1st grade and she didn't know when they were doing what so she was very confused and didn't like it and never wanted to go back there fulltime.
    (Apparently everyone - teacher included- forgot that she doesn't know the routine because she has been up there so much for so long they all assumed that she knew the deal.

Needless to say it was a long afternoon/evening with lots of breakdowns over silly things and we just got her to bed still asking if she ever has to go back again. I know we made the right decision and that she will adjust soon, but in the meanwhile it could be a long hard week.

She did not once complain about anything academic or social, in fact she was pretty excited about now having an AR goal for the reading program they do, and that they got to go the 2nd grade for something too.

Isn't life with an OE emotional kid wonderful crazy

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM